Status
Not open for further replies.
I've shot THOUSANDS of Wolf rounds.....

Saiga AK-47....no problem
Beretta 92FS...no problem
Springfield XD 45 ....no problem
Steyr M40-A1....no problem
CZ RAMI-P....no problem
Ruger 10/22 & Single Six LOVE the Wolf .22. I consider it "match grade" stuff...very, very accurate!

I also reload & use Wolf primers....all good stuff!

Originally Posted By: KW
My AK47 loves the Brown Bear 7.62X39 hollow point rounds. The lacquer never seemed to be a problem so far and I've shot it until I thought the gun was going to catch on fire.
AKs eat what you feed them without complaint. Great design.

My Mosin gets its bolt jammed up really well after a couple of those laquered rounds. I started buying Russian surplus copper washed steel and that fixed it.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
My Mosin gets its bolt jammed up really well after a couple of those laquered rounds. I started buying Russian surplus copper washed steel and that fixed it.

Mosin Nagants are known for their Sticky Bolt Syndrome. Usually the cause of it is the burnt lacquer in the chamber or old cosmoline in the chamber. A 20ga bore mop and brush and some acetone will get rid of it.

Youtube has a few videos on how to fix the sticky bolt syndrome. You basically clean/polish the cosmolene out of the chamber. I just did it to a 91/30 that was really dirty and would stick really bad after about 10 rds. Haven't tested it yet though.

to the op's original question, I've never tried wolf ammo, though I've wanted to. But the I cant seem to find 9mm cheap enough for me to justify it. Most places I look it's 12-13 bucks a box.
I can buy Speer Lawman for 15 bucks, from my local dealer.

If I could get a really good deal on it then I'd buy some.
I don't think my Glocks would have a problem digesting it.

I love WOLF ammo . It runs fine in my Bushnaster AR , and my Para Ordnance 1911 . I've used it in a couple of my C&R's too . Never a problem .

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

Mosin Nagants are known for their Sticky Bolt Syndrome. Usually the cause of it is the burnt lacquer in the chamber or old cosmoline in the chamber. A 20ga bore mop and brush and some acetone will get rid of it.

You get used to it with the mosin, fun gun when you can cycle it well.

I think the laquer melting myth has been busted: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

My AR seemed to do okay with Wolf at the last class. After 573 rounds, it was still running.. dirty as all heck, but still running. I did swap out the H2 buffer for a regular buffer, because the Wolf seemed a bit light on powder.

I'm new here.. if I'm not allowed to post another forum, please delete this.

Thanks regardless,
Brad

Actually I have seen tests where the lacquer did cause issues, but its when going from lacquered steel to brass on non chromed chambers.

Non chrome lined chambers with a weak extractor booster or spring can do it if you blaze a bunch of steel cases through it and then go to brass. But a proper AR with all the good standard options should be fine.

Originally Posted By: hatosan
I think the laquer melting myth has been busted: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

My AR seemed to do okay with Wolf at the last class. After 573 rounds, it was still running.. dirty as all heck, but still running. I did swap out the H2 buffer for a regular buffer, because the Wolf seemed a bit light on powder.

I'm new here.. if I'm not allowed to post another forum, please delete this.

Thanks regardless,
Brad

Nice find. I love the boxotruth.

Barnaul and Tula Wolf has been nothing but great for my AK and Glock.

100% surefire with no failures to feed, chamber or extract and no split cases. Flawless stuff imo. Average is ub 2 inches at 100yds via my SLR-95.

My understanding is problems w/ older Wolf is mainly from the AR camp and usually when switiching from shooting Wolf before brass cased. My guess is the tighter tolerances might be the issue, but I dont know for sure.

Last edited:
My SKSs have shot nothing but Wolf with 100% sasitfaction but this was all 2002-2003 production. I can't get myself to shoot as much of what I have left as I used to now that the price is 4 times what I paid for it back then ($80/1000 HP and $90/1000 for SP).

I have shot a few boxes of the Wolf Gold brass case .308 150gr SP through my Savage and can get 1.5" @ 100 yards, which isn't too far behind the Federal 150 GR SP Classic "Blue Box".

By the shear number of steel cases I find on the range I can say that the steel case Wolf is pretty popular (though I imagine that anything brass doesn't get left behind to compare my numbers to).

I shot a box of the steel lacquered 9mm through my 92Fs with zero problems, although it did throw a lot of fire out the end of the barrel (yeehah!) and it smelled like the back end of a goat.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's plenty usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back