SuperTech Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: chet2
st is a good brand...i think mobil makes there 5-30 and WPP makes their 5-20....blackstone said ST does about as well as any other oil they test...i have never had any problems with it

Not sure where you think you heard that but the bottom of any bottle will say Warren made it.

For many years, the Northeastern states used a different supplier for Supertech oil. Mobil and Shell insignias were sometimes seen on jug bottoms there.... depending on the year and contract awarded by Walmart.

The poster you replied to (Chet2) is from New Hampshire.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
I thought that was just rumored.

No rumor! There have been enough posts here to back up my statement in the four years since I joined BITOG. If Warren is now the sole distributor, then it's a relatively new contract awarded to them.

Depending on what part of the country you live in, SuperTech is made by WPP or Mobil.

Either way, you are getting an excellent oil. But if you are smart and shop closeout sales, you can buy oil for under 70 cents per quart.

I heard it was OK, so I used it a couple of times on my Grand Am.

Had an oil analysis done after about 2,800 miles and the viscosity results came in lower than standard for a 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Titan
Unlike the OP, I'd be more likely to use the engine oil, but not the transmission fluid. Transmissions are more expensive and "picky".

I'm not doing a "pro" or "con" against Wal-Mart on this post. But since you brought it up, what examples have you had with a certain brand of tranny oil making a trannsmission "picky"?

As far as the expensive part, I've seen a few engines that were expensive also.

Chrysler 4spd automatic transmissions are very picky. I had 3 cars with that transmission. The first one got a dose of Dexron II when I couldn't get the proper fluid. It resulted in me having to have the tranny rebuilt. I learned it was only Mopar ATF+3 or +4 for those trannies!

I still have a 97 Dakota pickup with automatic. I have a gallon jug of Mopar ATF+3 in the garage just for it.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:
Our wal-marts have a mix of Warren-made and ExxonMobil. Have used SuperTech products in engines and transmissions for years (not BMW's however) with absolutely no problems. This was mostly in older, high mileage vehicles. The ST ATF+4 is a licensed product so it must at least meet the standard and I have used it several times without issues. At less than $3 a quart, you cannot beat that. It says right on the bottle that is has a blend of synthetic and other high quality base oils.

I;ve used it in my wife's cavalier since new with 5000 mile OCI. Now has 90,000 miles on it and still runs good and uses no oil

Originally Posted By: MJS
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Titan
Unlike the OP, I'd be more likely to use the engine oil, but not the transmission fluid. Transmissions are more expensive and "picky".

I'm not doing a "pro" or "con" against Wal-Mart on this post. But since you brought it up, what examples have you had with a certain brand of tranny oil making a trannsmission "picky"?

As far as the expensive part, I've seen a few engines that were expensive also.

Chrysler 4spd automatic transmissions are very picky. I had 3 cars with that transmission. The first one got a dose of Dexron II when I couldn't get the proper fluid. It resulted in me having to have the tranny rebuilt. I learned it was only Mopar ATF+3 or +4 for those trannies!

I still have a 97 Dakota pickup with automatic. I have a gallon jug of Mopar ATF+3 in the garage just for it.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Yep, I was just going to post that. IMO- if you use anything that isn't Mopar fluid or doesn't specifically say ATF+3 or ATF+4 for Chrysler transmissions and carries the Chrysler certification, you are asking for serious trouble.

the majority of miles on my accord were on supertech. same with the durango....i switched to syn on the durango to feel better about longer OCI's. the accord had a lot of 3 to 4K OCI's and several 5K's on supertech without trouble. I currently run PYB about 5K.

i think it is good oil, xom makes it in 5-30, 10-30 for NH and in 5-20 jug

Originally Posted By: chet2
i think it is good oil, xom makes it in 5-30, 10-30 for NH and in 5-20 jug

The 5W20 should be WPP. XOM makes everything else (5W30 to 20W50) in our area.
The ST SAE30 and 15W40 HDEO's are also WPP, IIRC.

All of the ST dino in our area is XOM. In fact, the 5w20 they have is in exactly the same bottle as the new XOM products.

A company I work for I did the oil changes on the pick-ups. Ford F150s and I bought Super Tech 5w30 and we had no problems. We would run 5000 to 6000 mile oil changes with no usage. I think it as good as any other oil out there and I wouldnt hesitate to use it in my primary vehicle. I just get sucked in by close-outs and advertising of the glamous gimmick oils and pretty catchy jugs.

When looking at what people think about super tech oil, and products in general instead of debating the properties of oil, many times we get caught up in debating brand names which may in fact be many of the debates/discussions here at BITOG. Super tech meeting the latest API specifications, and along with your manufacture specifications is what you can go by, and have no worries about the protection of your motor..or component related to oil that you choose. I have used super tech oil with no problems at all myself, however I also get caught up in the sales, rebates etc as well as others which has nothing to do with the super tech oil, it's a perfectly good oil meeting the latest API specifications that is "on sale" every day.

ST is a great oil for 4-5k oci. I use MC5k but I will tell you, if I lived in some of the northern states where XOM product ST, I would switch in a heart beat. Warren makes the oil in my area so I'll stick with the best dino that's out there...MC5k!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back