Ferrari and Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
PU is so great that Ferarri North America recommends it.

What about Ferarri Europe? What comes as factory fill? My bet is that your Ferarri arrives in North America with something different in the crank case.

I'm not bashing PU. In fact, I'm going to run it in my next oil change, if I can find it. I just have to laugh at some of the baloney marketing tricks. If this oil is this good, I don't give a [censored] if Ferarri or Mahindra endorses it. I'm just curious why it is only Ferarri North America.

I know, I know, it probably has to do with the target audience more than anything else. However, I wouldn't say it is endorsed by a car company, unless it is factory fill in their premium cars.

Well, lets see. Ferrari is factory filled with Shell Helix Ultra in Italy. You cannot buy Shell Helix Ultra in North America. The Pennzoil Ultra comes in 5W-40 and 10W-60, the Ultra is made by Shell. Does not seem to hard to figure this out.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, lets see. Ferrari is factory filled with Shell Helix Ultra in Italy. You cannot buy Shell Helix Ultra in North America. The Pennzoil Ultra comes in 5W-40 and 10W-60, the Ultra is made by Shell. Does not seem to hard to figure this out.

And the 5w40 and 10w60 grades of Pennzoil are nothing more than Helix Ultra in Pennzoil bottles.

i used the shell helix ultra 5w-40 in my -87 trans am. it ran really smooth with that oil,i used mobil 1. 5-40 before i sold the car.
shell helix is available here in sweden in pretty much every shell gas station,thats why i was using it,easy to find. it even had small ferrari logo printed on the oil bottle and print "used by ferrari."
so is the pennzoil ultra and the shell helix ultra same oil??

Hi,
IndyFan - Shell's Helix Ultra 5W-40 (and 15W-50) sold here in OZ has had Shell's FF endorsement on the container for at leasf a decade!

I have used this product in a number of engines since it was introduced here in the mid 1990s. It is a great performer - especially in the Porsche engines I used it in for many years

Shell's synthetics and HD lubricant were once Porsche's FF. The HDs Rimula/Rotella was the original Porsche FF. Their synthetic TMO 10W-30 (quickly upgraded to 5W-40) was the first synthetic lubricant to be an across the board FF by any engine manufacturer - a Porsche first in 1992

IMO their synthetic products and HDEOs are amongst the very best of all lubricants (quality, price, performance) available at any price anywhere

Last edited:
i found this info about shell helix ultra.

Shell HELIX Ultra Review

Shell Helix Ultra is a fully synthetic engine oil used in passenger cars and high pefromance vehicles, providing ultimate lubrication performance. When you put this oil in your vehicle, you can be assured you will have piece of mind.

Shell Helix Ultra gives you maximum engine clean-up with special cleaning agents that actively cleanse the engine surfaces and continuously lock away harmful dirt and deposits.

It has remarkable long-term oxidation stability, which gives your car’s engine extended wear protection. Shell Helix Ultra reduces engine noise, and helps to condition and protect engines from the extra stresses of driving in modern start–stop traffic conditions.

Shell Helix Ultra is for performance motoring, and it rejuvenates and refreshes your engine. Shell Helix Ultra is the only motor oil recommended by Ferrari.

Shell Helix Ultra is suitable for high performance modern petrol engine: fuel-injected models fitted with catalytic converters

Shell Helix Ultra removes five times more dirt & sludge than a normal mineral motor oil.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 fully synthetic represents the ultimate performance achievable for today's passenger car engines. The performance of Shell Helix Ultra far exceeds all current industry and motor manufacturer specifications. It meets all motor manufacturers technical requirements.

API SM/CF, ACEA A3-04, B3-04 & B4-04, VW 500.00, 502.00, 505.00, Japanese Engines Qualified, Porsche Approved, BMW Longlife-01, Peugeot-Citroen Meets requirements of PSA E-98 extended drain (level 2 for application), Mercedes Benz Sheet 229.5, Ferrari Factory Fill and Sole Service Fill Recommendation, Renault RN 0710 (5W-40), Fiat 9.55535Z2 (meets requirements of).

FEATURES

BENEFITS

Shell's ultimate active cleansing technology Provides the best engine protection by continuously removing deposits from dirty engines

Long-term oxidation stability Up to 37% more protection than other fully synthetic leading brands tested

Low viscosity, rapid oil flow and low friction

Greater fuel efficiency and easier cold starting

High shear stability
To maintain viscosity and stay in grade throughout the oil drain period

Specially selected synthetic base oils Reduces oil volatility and therefore oil consumption. The need for oil top-up is therefore reduced

Minimises vibration and engine noise

Smoother, quieter drive

I have an F355 with 60K on the clock, 5K of which have taken place on race tracks.

While SHU is a good oil, it is does not appear any better than any other premium synthetic of the same SAE weight. In fact, between SHU, M1, RL, AMSoil, and ELF (all in 5W-40 or 10W-40; full synthetic,... SL era) all thinned just about equally (5 PSI on the oil pressure gauge) after a day at the track (from 85 PSI indicated to 80 PSI indicated) in 100dF+ heat of Texas summers.

In fact, I once ran 10W-30 RL oil at the track in similar circumstances (100dF+) and recorded similar shearing. However, this oil is a little on the thin side for comfort.

I currently run M1 TDT (formorly T&SUV) in 10W-40 weight in this car. 5K track miles and 60K total miles and the engine runs like new.

Ok. Whatever. If I bought a Ferrari, why wouldn't I have the resources to find the actual stuff they put in the engines from the factory? (Or, as the case may be, the exact same oil under the North American branding.)

I'm not really sure why I care. I'll never be able to afford a Ferrari anyway. I can dream, i suppose.

I guess it is supposed to make me feel really good when I pour this stuff into my poor-man's Ferrari...er...Solstice. I'm sure its great oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back