2005 Ford Five Hundred Tranny Fluid Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my wife a 2005 Ford five hundred sedan. First off this is the first ford I have ever owned (always GM & MOPAR). Anyways I popped the hood today to check the fluids and they were all ok except when I come to the tranny fluid. First off I cant get my arm down in there past everything to reach the dipstick and even if I could how would you go about filling it? Im sure there is somebody out there with a similar car that can give me some advice. Thanks for any info.

Which trans does the vehicle have? is it a CVT or the 6 speed. if you dont know, PM me the last 8 digits of the VIN and i can tell you specifics.

Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill Printable View (176 KB)

Material Item Specification
Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-8-QAW (US); CXT-8-LAW12 (Canada) WSS-M2C924-A

NOTICE: The use of any fluid other than what is recommended for this transmission will cause transmission damage.

Draining

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
Remove the transmission fluid drain plug and allow the transmission fluid to drain.

Refill

Install the transmission fluid drain plug.
Tighten to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft).

Remove the transmission fluid fill plug.

Fill the transaxle with approximately 3.7L (4 qt) of clean transmission fluid.
Install the transmission fluid fill plug.
Tighten to 39 Nm (29 lb-ft).

With the transaxle in (P) PARK, the vehicle should be on a level surface, the engine at idle (680-780 rpm), foot pressed on the brake, move the selector lever through each gear and allow engagement of each gear. Place the selector lever back in the PARK position.
Wipe the transmission fluid level indicator cap and remove the fluid level indicator.
Wipe the transmission fluid level indicator with a clean cloth.
NOTE: In order to get an accurate transmission fluid level reading, the vehicle should be on a level surface, the engine at idle (680-780 rpm) for 5 minutes and the transmission fluid temperature should be at least 70°C-80°C (158°F-176°F) using the scan tool.

If transmission fluid needs to be added, add transmission fluid in 0.25L (1/2 pint) increments through the transmission fluid fill plug located on the top of the transaxle near the transmission fluid level indicator. Do not overfill the transmission fluid. Install the transmission fluid level indicator back in the transmission fluid filler tube until it is fully seated, then remove the indicator. The transmission fluid level should be at the upper-most mark on the transmission fluid level indicator. Only fill to the upper-most mark on the transmission fluid indicator. Do not overfill. Damage to the transaxle will occur.

Quote:

seems like a good way to make a mess

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Quote:

seems like a good way to make a mess

It says fill plug, not drain plug.

Originally Posted By: Frankie02
I just bought my wife a 2005 Ford five hundred sedan. First off this is the first ford I have ever owned (always GM & MOPAR). Anyways I popped the hood today to check the fluids and they were all ok except when I come to the tranny fluid. First off I cant get my arm down in there past everything to reach the dipstick and even if I could how would you go about filling it? Im sure there is somebody out there with a similar car that can give me some advice. Thanks for any info.

It's an Aisin Warner (Toyota) transmission. You can go to a Ford dealership and get the OEM fluid, which is just repackaged T-IV. Or a Toyota dealership and get the same thing possibly cheaper.

But any universal ATF that meets T-IV should work too. Depends on your comfort level on which fluid to use.

Last edited:
"how would you go about filling it?"

images

If it's an Asin Warner T-iv/3309/whatever other oem fill, most universals work well. I have M1, but you year good things about Castol Multi Import as well.

Yea thats the last thing i wanted to do is to go to the dealer and have to pay someone to check/add tranny fluid. I check my fluids regularly and add when needed. The only fluids I change is the motor oil. I dont believe in messing (except for adding proper fluid )with the transmission unless it is doing something it is not supposed to. Thought maybe someone had a tip or technique to get to dipstick to add fluid. I will take a better look at it later there has got to be a way. Its a nice car I just wish I had saw it before because I probally would have went another way, but then again I'll figure something out.Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back