Auto-Rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just informed of the Auto-RX prodeuct. Sounds great, Has anyone not had a good experience with it? I am looking to try it in my Honda Passport to help with the regular oil consumption, and am also considering it in my 97 Powerstroke with 230k miles on it, in both the auto transmission and the motor. Any thoughts, warnings, recommendations?

Do Not add any additve to the Oil on your Powerstroke!!

Oil additves can be very bad for the high pressure oil system and the HUEI injectors. Not to mention it may cause faoming in the oil.

Also it won't cure a consumption problem. You may consider a good synthetic to clean up and not burnoff as much or even a high milage oil

I have been using synthetic, and one of my replies noted that it worked on his passport oil consumption problem. ???

I am not a big fan of Auto-Rx, but it is completely safe to use in all diesel and petrol engines. I personally used it in a small common rail Mercedes engine, and it did nothing bad to this one.

In some engines, particularly if you haven't been using TRUE synthetic oil(group 4 or better), it can do something good.

The esters in the Auto-Rx, will enhance the lubricity in most oils.
It will most probably also do some cleaning, but there are better products out there.

It can be hard to find, though.

DieselTech says that all additives are the same, and that is simply NOT TRUE.

He just won't tell you that he has no clue about additives, and the safest thing for him to do, is to stay away from all of them.

I can understand his reasoning, but it doesn't make it more correct.

Some of his oil choices, are very good, though.

But, not necessary if you use the right additives
48.gif

Last edited:
Try it in the Passport.

I plan on trying Auto-Rx in one of my Saturns in April when I change the oil and MMO in the other Saturn. I'm using synthetic in both Saturns and they're drinking it like water.

Auto-Rx is a "hot button" topic here.

I am one of those who would only use an additive as an absolute last resort to an engine that is in horrid condition...

Oil mfgs employ highly educated chemists and engineers to formulate oils...why would you want to add something to off-set the formula you are paying for??? I would be hard-pressed to find auto rx cleans a sludge-filled engine any better than a few OCs with a quality synthetic...yes, autorx is a slow cleaning additive but I am not one to mess with the chemistry of modern oils. SLow cleaning is the way to go and you can do that with regular intervals and a good syn.

Again I would not use any additives in your powerstrokes Oil. If it is atleast kinda maintaned you have no sludge in the engine. We primarly specialize in powerstrokes and I am a Ford master certified Diesel tech. I have seen what additives do when put into oil.

Some people do it but I do not adivise it one bit. Their is absolutely no benefit to it.

Again, as mentioned earlier.
Some additives are better than others.

Adding a good one, will perform better than oil alone.
ARX is one of them.

Being a Ford master certified Diesel tech, doesn't have anything to do with your understanding of all the additives on the market.

As far as I know, this education don't have any particular education in additives(or oil, for that matter).

They learn that following the specs, is the only right thing to do.

It isn't quite that simple.

Last edited:
x2!!!

It is like a MD telling his/her patient not to take vitamin because vitamin is not necessary.

While I agree that not all vitamin is made equally and becomes equally beneficial to everybody, good vitamins with good ingredients (like Phytonutrients) is good for everybody. Now the question is based on needs like gender, age, lifestyle, etc. with different requirements.

It is the responsibility of each person to educate him/her-self in this topic.

Opinions are important if they have information on both sides.

I have used Auto-RX in diesel engines, while I don't have scientific evidence that it is working. It has helped it runs better. Mind you, the Ford person probably don't like the GM 6.5 diesel engines and it is probably different than a Ford. That is not the topic here.

One thing that I learn this week, though, that Auto-RX may not work as good in Aluminum engines such as the new Toyotas e.g. the 6 cylinder sludge prone engines.

So, I am not sure what the Powerstroke engine is made of. If it is a Iron engine, then it will work very well.

DieselTech may have better information on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I have seen what additives do when put into oil. Their is absolutely no benefit to it.

What are the additives you've found that have caused problems?

Eh
21.gif
Some people don't always think out what they're doing, so sure, advising against putting any additives into an engine is not out of line. However, when there's a problem to be corrected or coped with ..and the alternative is a tear down or getting a new one, I think you can, with a little intelligent forethought, throw that advice out the window.

If Auto-Rx would harm a diesel, there would have to be a strict prohibition on ester based oils being used in all diesels. That's all Auto-Rx is composed of, esters. The majority of the content is a polyol ester like Red Line oil.

I did two ARX clean cycles in my '94 Powerstroke with no adverse affects. At the time I was right around 370,000 miles. I worked at an IH dealership as a mechanic for a time so I understand how 'finicky' the HEUI fuel system can be but personally found no adverse affects from the ARX. After using it, my truck smoked slightyly less at start up in the AM. Did not do any compression checks or anything so a very subjective analysis. It did nothing for my oil consumption problems though. For the price of it, I don't really think it was worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DMillard
I was just informed of the Auto-RX prodeuct. Sounds great, Has anyone not had a good experience with it? I am looking to try it in my Honda Passport to help with the regular oil consumption, and am also considering it in my 97 Powerstroke with 230k miles on it, in both the auto transmission and the motor. Any thoughts, warnings, recommendations?

Who "informed" you of the product and what did they say?

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: DMillard

Who "informed" you of the product and what did they say?

Perhaps he read the Testimonials?
27.gif

I've used it in two engines, my '97 Accord and my Aerostar.
I believe that it made a difference in the running of both.
While I have no compression tests to back it up, I had driven the Accord 70K and the Aero 142K at the time of application, so I think I had a pretty good idea of how they perfomrd both pre and post.
Give AutoRx a try.
It isn't particularly expensive, and it will certainly do some cleaning.
FWIW, it will not do any harm, as some flush products can.

Auto-Rx in my Volvo Turbo gas engine cut the oil consumption 75%. Evidently the piston oil control rings were sludged, and Auto-Rx cleaned them.

Auto-Rx is nothing like most of the snake oil additives sold to "improve" oil. I'd use it in any diesel engine. I'm not a Ford or IH mechanic, but I have trained at two diesel engine makers. Auto-Rx was developed for the high speed gear trains on massive printing presses--high precision and cannot afford any downtime...your daily paper has to come out on time. It has been found to be very effective in engines and transmissions if used according to directions.

what aluminum parts do you need cleaned anyway? the oil galleys? all the real parts that need cleaning are steel and other hard metals, there's no aluminum friction pieces anyway

It's not friction parts that need to be cleaned so much as the oil way to those parts.
For instance, Piston rings. Combustion pressure needs to get behind the ring to help press the ring against the cyl wall. A varnish build up could prevent this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back