Oh BTW if you have a 2GR-FE engine.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

Might want to check this out. The 2009 and up models have designed this out but 2008 and before beware....( my Lexus ES350 was recently done for free by the dealer on my last visit)

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22775

While we are bashing Toyota I figure I would throw this on the pile as it is a real issue and there is a fix program out there that many don't know about. The video is a must see. Sure opened my eyes..
shocked2.gif

FWIW, the replacement parts ar $32 if you wish to DIY

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
This happened to a RAV4 in another forum I participate in...

Yeah any 2GR-FE and some of the Ravs have the v6

The changeover to the all metal oil line took place in May 2008, so later production 2008's have the all metal line from the factory, but earlier 2008's don't.

Toyota is issuing a world-wide recall on the defective oil line. This is a critical issue for all 3.5L Engines made prior to mid-April 2008.

Here is an update as of yesterday

TOYOTA V6 OIL LINE SCANDAL

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

(BTW: 09 Camry V6 here with 15K using Pennzoil 5W30 and using zero oil betwween 4K changes. 30 mpg everyday driving 50/50 city highway driving. Crankcase capacity is 6.0 quarts not 6.4 per owners manual. Dipstick is defective and can only be read accurately when car sits (eight hours or overnight).

Eh, I don't like Toyota, there I said it, but that is an easy fix and it has been recalled which is good for the folks who can't or won't fix it themselves.

It just looks like the original one was designed to have an expansion joint, hence the rubber piece, so it would weap, leak what ever you want to call because, well heated rubber and oil in the engine compartment. Apparently they went back and looked at it and deciede an all metal one would work fine.

Engineers at work again.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Eh, I don't like Toyota, there I said it, but that is an easy fix and it has been recalled which is good for the folks who can't or won't fix it themselves.

It just looks like the original one was designed to have an expansion joint, hence the rubber piece, so it would weap, leak what ever you want to call because, well heated rubber and oil in the engine compartment. Apparently they went back and looked at it and deciede an all metal one would work fine.

Engineers at work again.

I don't like Toyotas either. The mania about them is unjustified. I would suggest that this metal/rubber pipe be replaced with a 100% metal pipe by the DEALER ONLY. After looking at the link PT1 showed, it is an EXTREMELY INVOLVED REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE, and working in EXTREMELY tight quaters. It's Toyota's fault the rubber pipe was used between two metal pipes. Let THEM skin their knuckles and get frustrated... Worldwide recall indeed!

Originally Posted By: Paul3637
Toyota is issuing a world-wide recall on the defective oil line. This is a critical issue for all 3.5L Engines made prior to mid-April 2008.

Here is an update as of yesterday

TOYOTA V6 OIL LINE SCANDAL

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

(BTW: 09 Camry V6 here with 15K using Pennzoil 5W30 and using zero oil betwween 4K changes. 30 mpg everyday driving 50/50 city highway driving. Crankcase capacity is 6.0 quarts not 6.4 per owners manual. Dipstick is defective and can only be read accurately when car sits (eight hours or overnight).

Toyota says it is not a recall but a limited service campaign.

service campaign.. by them stating this, they can say it's NOT a recall, although it is.
I'll bet they're trying to find a way to misdirect all their woes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back