5.4 triton oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckHunter
Or are the basic Purolators and Napa Golds fine for my purposes?
The basic Puros and Golds are just fine, but it's generally accepted here that the "best" filter for the Ford modular motors is the Motorcraft FL820S, available at Wally World for under $4.00.

Eaton, They re-vamped the 5.4 in '99, I imagine that was when they made the change to the 5w-20 from the 5w-30.

I think, after reading all the above comments, that my next oil change will be with the Rotella 10w-30, as I dont see any sense in taking any risks with the 15-40 over such a minor issue. BTW, do you guys have any recommendations for filters? Or are the basic Purolators and Napa Golds fine for my purposes? Thanks for all the input!

Nope. My parent's 2000 Expedition calls for 5w30. Our '02 calls for 5w20.

We have owned three 5.4L's and one 4.6L. As far as the 5.4L's go:

We have run 5w40, 0w40, 5w30 and 5w20 in them (not all grades in all engines of course).

Our '02 runs the best with M1 0w40 in it. It has had M1 5w20 and Delvac 1 5w40 prior to that.

This is our first run, so I don't know about consumption yet.

The engine has 187,000Km on it. It would consume 1L per OCI; I would have to add it at about 8,000Km when I was running 5w20.

Switching to 5w40, it completely eliminated any discernible consumption.

That being said, during the cold winter, the truck felt sluggish with the (admittedly) heavy 5w40 in it.

Changed out to 0w40 about a week ago and it is night in day in terms of cold performance. It also, like the 5w40, makes the engine exceptionally quiet.

The engine "feels" the best on the 0w40 out of all the grades I've tried.

Our 2000 (my parents) is now on its second OCI of 0w40. Dad loves it. No consumption, 10K OCI's. It has 188,000Km on it. We did NOT have good results with 5w20 in this vehicle.

I had a 2001 F-150 and it loved Motorcraft 5w-20. It had around 80k before I sold it. Never used a drop of oil. It was however the 4.2. Then came the 03 4.6. I only kept that POS for a few month because the roof ended up leaking. I ran Castrol Syntec 5w-20 and when I revved up the engine I heard a squeak. I hated that truck. It had around 65k miles on it. I was going to try some 10w-30 in it but traded it in.

Why not use what you engine specs? Ford has done extensive testing on this matter. MC5w20 is all you need. The 5w20 is great for you colder climate.

I am currently driving a 2001 ford f-150 with around 180,000 miles, as it was used for a commuter truck for around 8 years. I am currently running 10w-30 regular pennsoil in it, but between my 3000 mile oil changes I need to add just under a quart of oil. While I realize this Isn't a major issue, I was told by several people that running 15w40 diesel oil may solve the problem, some having done so themselves. Will this thicker oil hurt my engine? I wasn't planning on running that oil during the winters due to the very cold conditions I sometimes need to run the truck in (about -10 below) , but would it be that bad of an idea to try during the summer? Just looking for some input. Thanks, NHD

First of all
welcome2.gif

3000 miles you burn UNDER a quart of oil for a TRUCK engine with 180,000 miles?

What was the problem? Answer NOTHING.

Continue with what you've been doing. No NEED to change a THING.

Winter time I'd use Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 and 10w-30 the rest of the time.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I am currently driving a 2001 ford f-150 with around 180,000 miles, as it was used for a commuter truck for around 8 years. I am currently running 10w-30 regular pennsoil in it, but between my 3000 mile oil changes I need to add just under a quart of oil. While I realize this Isn't a major issue, I was told by several people that running 15w40 diesel oil may solve the problem, some having done so themselves. Will this thicker oil hurt my engine? I wasn't planning on running that oil during the winters due to the very cold conditions I sometimes need to run the truck in (about -10 below) , but would it be that bad of an idea to try during the summer? Just looking for some input. Thanks, NHD

First of all
welcome2.gif

3000 miles you burn UNDER a quart of oil for a TRUCK engine with 180,000 miles?

What was the problem? Answer NOTHING.

Continue with what you've been doing. No NEED to change a THING.

Winter time I'd use Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 and 10w-30 the rest of the time.

Take care, bill

Leave it to Bill to put this all into a nutshell. He's right. I'd be pretty thrilled to have an engine with almost 200K miles that used "only" a quart in 3000 miles.

Overkill, have you considered using M1 5w-30 EP rather than M1 0w-40? Is there an advantage to using the 0w-40 product in that engine compared with the not-too-thin 5w-30 EP offering?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Overkill, have you considered using M1 5w-30 EP rather than M1 0w-40? Is there an advantage to using the 0w-40 product in that engine compared with the not-too-thin 5w-30 EP offering?

Because it has more certs and decorations on it than a 5 star General
wink.gif

Seriously. It is their best PCMO; possibly the most "decorated" oil on the market in terms of its factory approvals. And it is thinner than D1, which is their most "robust" overall oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
M1 0w-40 probably runs good because its one of the best formulated real synthetics on the market - period.

Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back