Replacing inner tie rods, Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Dodge Dakota, 4wd 5.2 engine. 118,000 miles

Was notified upon getting an alignment for new tires to be installed, that my inner tie rods have excessive play and need to be replaced.

How bad of a job is this to do. Looking at the book and under the truck, this seems like a fairly simple job. Disconnect them, unscrew the piece from the drag link, do some measurements, take it all apart, put together back as close as possible, screw back on, re-assemble to control arm, do other side.

Is there anything else looming about the job that I'm missing?

Should I fork out for the Moog or Raybestos versions instead of the what ever brand at Auto Zone?

Thanks!

4x2 Dakotas have a rack & pinion, I don't know about the 4x4s, they might have conventional steering. If it has rack & pinion, it won't be entirely straightforward. Disconnect both outer tie rods first so the rack can be turned all the way to access the tie rods. You will probably need an inner tie rod extractor, $50 at Harbor Freight, they might have them to loan at Autozone. For the Ram the extractor isn't necessary, but most vehicles don't have enough room to use a wrench without removing the entire rack & pinion. Beware of set screws and retainer washers, most don't have them, but once in a while a vehicle might have them, undo them before attempting to un-thread.

You might as well replace the outer tie rod ends at the same time. Take a look at the rack's dust boots while you are in there, not a bad idea to change them too.

Get the best you can (Moog), you don't want to have to do this job again.

Put the jam nut in the same approximate place it was on the old tie rod end, so that the alignment isn't too far off, to get you by until you can get it in to be aligned.

I have dealt with Autozone chassis parts, and they usually don't last.

Pay extra and get Moog parts.

Also, no matter how well you mark and measure your chassis parts, you will never get within specifications. Take your car to a repair shop after you install the stuff, and pay them to allign the car.

Right. Get them close, but drive it a while and have a real toe in check made.
Toe is easy to check for an amateur. Use a tape measure at the tires or wheels, at exact spots. Check this a few times.
But make sure you are checking things level and accurately.
When you get this right, see if the steering wheel is straight when you are driving straight.
If not, move one side in, and the other side out, the same amount until you get the wheel straight.

The 4x4's use the steering gear box instead of the rack setup.

Yeah I plan on getting an alignment after I get it fixed, just need to get it close. New tires are on their way and went to go get an alignment and low and behold couldn't do it with the excessive play in the inner tie rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back