2001 Buick -3.8L How to you change the rear plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering how you get to the rear plugs on a 2001 LeSabre with the 3.8L V6? Any advise or experience would be appreciated!

you can get them from under the car, or remove the torque strut mount and pull the motor forward a bit, and get a couple u-joints and some extensions.

So underneath is an option? Jeeezzz. That's the one bad thing I don't like about transverse engine layouts.

How hard would you rate the job? Thanks

Just pull the motor foward like this...
valvecover1.jpg

I can usually do it by sliding my arm back there.

I just did this on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS and I layed up on the top on the engine and did it from there. I did tear up my hands doing it though.

Wayne

On most GM V6 in coups and sedans its pretty easy without moving the engine,there is enough room to slide your arm back there.
If its in a van like the Venture be prepared for a nightmare even with the engine rolled forward.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
What I mean is I can usually slide my arm back there without moving the engine to get the plugs out.

The first time I did this I pulled the engine forward. The next time I just did it as it layed. Not as bad as it looks, the hardest plug is the one by the O2 sensor. Entire job should take about 1.5 hours at most.

Thanks guys. I've changed plugs in some very tough locations. I guess the back three are payback for the "easy" front access!

What a pain in the butt though! Oh well... I appreciate the info and picture. Thank you.

Slickest approach I ever saw on that setup. Take out dogbone. Don't start engine. Shift into R or N. Roll car forward, pop into PARK. As the engine rolls to the radiator, slam the park brake on to hold the powertrain forward. The car's inerta rolls the engine forward when the park pawl engages, park brake holds it in place.

Seen guys do something similar on sloped driveways. Park nose down on sloped driveway, park brake on, pop out the dogbone, release park brake and car's weight rolls the engine forward.

That or my buddy and I used a jack, slide it under the car where the trans and engine mate and give it a tiny lift and it would roll the engine forward a bit more.

On my 3.3 Ciera I use to have, you can do it without moving the engine, but you got to have some good extensions and ujoints. Your going to have to have a good feel when you start the new plugs to make sure they have started the thread right. If not, you could strip the plugs.

On the 3.8L spark plugs you see with your hands and not your eyes. Once you learn where to put your hands you don't need to take anything apart.

Only special tool is a bent handle swivel head ratchet.

Just a word of warning about doing the rear plugs on the GM V6 (you folks that have done them already know this).Watch out for the metal shield just below the middle plug,it is as sharp as a razor,just be aware and avoid it and the possible stitches.

I haven't changed mine yet. I'm saving that and the tranny pan drop for someone else (either the next owner or the mechanic I take it to).

If plugs are so hard to get to that you would not do it yourself how do you know your mechanic would change them?

I trust him. Also, I don't have a garage to work in and the old ladies that are my neighbors (condo building) get POd when I work on my car in the parking lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
If plugs are so hard to get to that you would not do it yourself how do you know your mechanic would change them?

You don't.I have had some mechanics tell me during conversations about PITA engines that some vehicles like the Venture go out with the same old rear bank plugs as they came in with.Some of these guys were from dealers and others independent.
The ones from the dealerships claim they die on flat rate,the independent ones claim they find it difficult to justify the labor expense to their customers for changing the plugs,instead they tell the customer not to go so long next time and hope the remaining plugs go another 30k and give the customer a slight break on the labor.

Not every dealer or shop does this but it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back