Cut open Supertech ST6607 / Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy~

This is an aftermarket oil filter for many late-model Subaru engines and various other vehicles. I compared it to a cross-referenced FRAM PH9715 that has the same filter element as the Subaru OEM filter.

008.JPG

014.JPG

It had a bad case of uneven pleats and excessive glue.
015.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

In that app the Fram certainly looks better.

But, those filters are so short. Is there not a longer filter for that app? You seem concerned with media area, that would be a simple and elegant solution.

st7317 ?

Last edited:
That ST is a horrible filter. The pleats are not spaced inconsistently. This is why no matter how much people tell other to purchase them that they are crazy if they do so. P1 or Bosch!!

This proves you get what you pay for. Id dont like fram but it's much better then the ST

Last edited:
I say drivel. Fram makes a PH 6607. Lets look at one of them compared to the ST 6607. Where I have cut open the same number of ST and Fram, apples to apples, the ST had twice the media.

Originally Posted By: labman
I say drivel. Fram makes a PH 6607. Lets look at one of them compared to the ST 6607. Where I have cut open the same number of ST and Fram, apples to apples, the ST had twice the media.

If filter A and filter B aren't even cross referenced for the same application then I have no interest in comparing them. I understand where you're coming from; however, these are the two filters, from their respective manufacturers, that are backed and listed as their only applicable oil filters for my application (a 2008 Subaru). Sure the FRAM PH6607 may or may not be worse than the Supertech; however, it's of no interest to me because it's not currently applicable.

i have cut up a few ST3980 filters and did not notice an uneven pleating like this one shown. I agree, in this side by side, i would probably choose the fram. For the price of filters, i have settled on the purilator premiums. Thanks for the pics.

It would be an option somehow to build an external sump with another filter that would hold an additonal 4 qts of oil to give an extra filtration , but the cost mite b to much, this is where Gulf Coast Filter system is probably better.

I don't think non-even pleats make much of a difference. The degree to which most oil filters these days are over engineered for the task at hand is amazing. My dad put 250K on a 1981 Toyota Tercel with castrol 20w-50 and Fram OCOD filters. He sold it because he was tired of it. I have used WIX, MOPAR, NAPA, Purolator, Bosch, Deutsche, STP, Motorcraft, FRAM, AC, and other brands, and haven't noticed a difference. I would like to see a UOA with higher particulate counts and wear with just a difference of filters used. Not to say there are not differences in filters, but I think we put amazing emphasis on asthetics.

I doubt uneven pleating has much of an effect. However the glue for a fact has no effect, even the mystical purolators have globs of glue on the bottom spring in my GM application filters, I'd take a photo but I am not wasting a new filter for it. I will snap shots after its used though.

For the price you pay (2.50) is not bad at all.

However, in this application the Fram does look better, more filter media.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i will stick with napa gold and purolator pure one

+1 on that statment,i would take the ST over the can of doom tho at least it has real end caps and the ADBV that seals.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
What good is more media when your bypass valve leaks so much your not filtering oil anyhow?

lol

Originally Posted By: Soobs

If filter A and filter B aren't even cross referenced for the same application then I have no interest in comparing them. I understand where you're coming from; however, these are the two filters, from their respective manufacturers, that are backed and listed as their only applicable oil filters for my application (a 2008 Subaru). Sure the FRAM PH6607 may or may not be worse than the Supertech; however, it's of no interest to me because it's not currently applicable.

To sell a filter for $2.84 or whatever Wal*Mart wants tonight, you have to make some compromises. One compromise is to not sell low volume numbers. Thus the ST 3950 I used for a while is history. For $3.50, I can still buy the STP version. I have cut up a number of different brands for that application. I never saw much difference in most of them except Fram having half as much media as most others and AC half again more than the rest.

Wal*Mart now suggests the smaller ST3593A in place of the ST 3950. If it had been upgraded to an Ecore, I might try it.

If you use a popular number that Wal*Mart carries in ST, chances are you can get a good filter at a low price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one that is really the right filter. Otherwise if you care about keeping your dollars in America, you go to Auto Zone and buy an STP.

To sell a filter for $2.84 or whatever Wal*Mart wants tonight

LOL....too true. This bugs the [censored] out of me.

Here was my last ST6607 with almost 12k on it...

100_0425.jpg

Here is another one of mine with over 10K on it:

100_0229.jpg

I have no issues with the ST filters.

Here are a few threads with ST6607 filters cut open after use;

ST 6607 after 5,800 miles

St6607 2,800 miles

Here is a few other brands (same app) of filter next to Supertech;

3 filters

And even more expensive filters have uneven pleats;

Pureone filter with uneven pleats

I've used many filters and only had one fail. Cut open EVERY filter for over 30 years.

NO worries using a Supertech. Ecore or older style.

Thanks for the photos of a new one!

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back