Pennzoil Ultra 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Holy smokes, thank you very much on the PU VOA sir. I can't even find PU here. :-(

Your welcome, I ordered it online on the 2nd of this month.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Not bad, it will be interesting to see if PU 5W-30 has the ~3100 ppm Ca count like PP 5W-30. Looks like ZDDP was lowered a touch, but that could be Blackstone.

I recently did a PP 5W30 VOA and it came back just under 2800PPM Calcium

Amsoil is going to have to upgrade thier little graphs on the internet so they can show their superiority to this influx of new oils. They are starting to look antique.

Originally Posted By: daman
Ya when did PP have 3100 ppm of Ca? not that i remember.

On my last UOA with PP 5w30 it showed 3257 ppm of calcium.

Originally Posted By: Patman

[censored]!!!

Impressive boron and TBN. Given the very high TBN, I suspect the boron is part of the detergent and/or dispersant additives as opposed to being something like borated esters.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Impressive boron and TBN. Given the very high TBN, I suspect the boron is part of the detergent and/or dispersant additives as opposed to being something like borated esters.

Agree. Looks very good to me. Tbn is equivalent to SSO.

Motorcraft is the only other oil I know of using that much boron. In fact, Ultra is using more.

Originally Posted By: Patman

[censored]!!!

My UOA last fall of PP 5W20 showed 3075 ppm of Ca. 3100 ppm sounds like a good true average for PP.

From what I've seen, PP 5W-30 typically has ~300 ppm Ca more than PP 5W-20. The add packs do not appear to be identical in the two grades.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
10% vs 12.5% volatility isn't that big of a deal IMO, and for direct injection, usually the engine is designed with a large enough sump and OCI to compensate for it.

VW's problem is not oil, but its engine design (turbo and direct injection). Oil may only reduce this amount a bit, a typical extreme German engineering with minimal to no fail safe margin.

Just go ahead and spray sea foam or carb cleaner on a regular basis, that's the only solution.

10% is 20% less than 12.5%.

Lower oil volatility may be quite helpful in many hot-running engines. On my friend's VW 2.0T, after a two mile drive, steam will gush out of the oil filler cap when you open it.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
10% vs 12.5% volatility isn't that big of a deal IMO, and for direct injection, usually the engine is designed with a large enough sump and OCI to compensate for it.

VW's problem is not oil, but its engine design (turbo and direct injection). Oil may only reduce this amount a bit, a typical extreme German engineering with minimal to no fail safe margin.

Just go ahead and spray sea foam or carb cleaner on a regular basis, that's the only solution.

10% is 20% less than 12.5%.

Lower oil volatility may be quite helpful in many hot-running engines. On my friend's VW 2.0T, after a two mile drive, steam will gush out of the oil filler cap when you open it.

Sounds like you are worried about splitting hairs

I'm very impressed with this oil on paper and by what spec's it meets.

Tbn of 13 for $6.97qt! Exceeds SN, HTO-06....what more could you want?

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Sounds like you are worried about splitting hairs

We're all splitting hairs when we are comparing synthetic oil to dino oil anyway, so while we're at it, we might as well take it to the next level.
wink.gif

So, I have a Direct Injected Turbo car. Are you saying this is not a good oil for me to use b/c of it's volatility? I have a large stash of SynPower too, but I had planned on running PU next (currently GC is in). So is volatility the number I should be most concerned about in my application?

Originally Posted By: shpankey
So, I have a Direct Injected Turbo car. Are you saying this is not a good oil for me to use b/c of it's volatility?

I don't think so. This oil should be one of the best at preventing deposits.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: JAG

Agree. Looks very good to me. Tbn is equivalent to SSO.

Motorcraft is the only other oil I know of using that much boron. In fact, Ultra is using more.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1755332#Post1755332

Motorcraft apparently drastically increased their boron recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back