Switching to synthetic oil for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a 2002 1.8L Nissan sentra with 93k km, and i will swithcing over to synthetic for the first time tomorrow. I understand that i should just perform the oil change as i would usually do, but i remember reading somwhere that i should run a "flushing oil" first. Is that something that's recommended?

There are no oil leaks of any kind from the car, and i will be using Mobil 1 5W 30. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You should be fine with just switching over to the Mobil 1.
I would not extend the oil change interval for the first few oil changes in case the synthetic is doing more cleaning than your previous oil was doing.
Unless you know that the motor is sludged up......you will be fine...
If it is sludged up, then you would need to address that, switching oil types or not.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
You should be fine with just switching over to the Mobil 1.
I would not extend the oil change interval for the first few oil changes in case the synthetic is doing more cleaning than your previous oil was doing.
Unless you know that the motor is sludged up......you will be fine...
If it is sludged up, then you would need to address that, switching oil types or not.

I don't know if it's sludged up or not, but i have never added oil after a change, and the conventional Penzoil i have used until now looks ok after a change 0f 4000-5000 kms. I will look into the engine through the oil hole tomorrow, to see if there is any sludge build up, but i don't think that's the case. Will report back in the morning. Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Dont run a flush... Actually dino would be fine

Got a good deal on the Mobil 1 synthetic, so i stocked up. Will have to go with it for a while now.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
No flushing required, just dump the synthetic in and drive.

That's what i thought, too, but it nice to have some reassurance.

My father bought a 01 Sentra about 6 years ago with about the same Ks you have on your Nissan Sentra. He has used XD3 CI-4/SL in it to this date now and has well over 200k on it now, runs like swiss time piece. This high quality HDEO will clean out that engine nice as it has my son's 160k km olds 3.1 engine and my older 87 2.4Z Nissan engine in past. An old [censored] like me own that 87 Nissan, he putted 15 kph everywhere, the oil filter was sludged up solid with slug sludge when I got it. That 0-30 CI-4/SL XD3 cleaned that engine up in 3 oil changes along with some good hard highway drives.

You only have a 2.7 litre sump, a good Group 1V POA in XD3 or Mobil will definately be a good choice considering the small researve of oil. A heavy 0-30 XD3 oil gives great -45C point,great visc at 12.2 at 100C and it will lubricate that heavy steel time chain too. I use this 0-30 XD3 in my 05 X-trail since new too, great oil for a Nissan. At 2.7 litre sump a good quality syn oil is not going to break you at the bank, I put 12 litres XD3 syn in my Cummins Diesel, ouch.

You can get 0-30 XD3 CJ-4/Sm and a rare find of CI-4/SL for about $5.00 per litre rather than 10.00 per litre for Mobil, XD3 syn is made by Mobil and Both group 1V.

Cyprs

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back