Jeep tranny REALLY Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's just a real pet peeve of mine.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I can't stand the way people in society are becoming so automated, and the reaction you get to anything that has to be learned, and done manually.

Maybe I'm just too much of a car guy, but soo many people I know think it is stupid to know anything about a vehicle...driving a standard is stupid, there are automatics that do it for you, don't check anything on the car, you don't want to get dirty...members of our society are actively discouraged from doing anything themself. I can't even check my oil level in my parking lot w/o getting dirty looks....

I'm with you. I can understand if a person is not physically able or they didnt have a choice of the vehicle, but to avoid manual trannies and to prefer an automatic is weird to me. At this age where I am able, and that im not restricted to driving a vehicle not offered with one eg. minivan id much rather drive a manual. Some people think it's too much of a hassle to "worry" about shifting, but after a while you dont have to think about it, it becomes "automatic".

I know people like that. My friend thinks I'm nuts to change the oil on my car, and work on it. He asks why I don't just take it to the dealer or jiffy lube, like when the alternator died. He can't stand getting dirty and greasy when I couldn't care less really. Though I do like automatics. I will probably learn to drive a manual for sake of knowing how, but I still probably will prefer automatics in cars. I can't see any good, real, solid, reason to get a standard over an automatic. Today, if you notice, most cars have better rated fuel efficiency over their manual counterparts.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Rudolphna, nice lookin' rig. What kind of gears is your dad running?

BTW rockcrawling with a manual blows, my beer always goes spilling everywhere. j/k

Right now, it's 3.73 axle gearing. We want to get it changed to 4.56s or 4.88s but it doesn't look like that will be happening for a while. And he would want to wait until he would get either the Dana 35 super kit with the higher spline count axles and diff, or swap for the Dana 44 or Ford 8.8

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I can't stand the way people in society are becoming so automated, and the reaction you get to anything that has to be learned, and done manually.

Maybe I'm just too much of a car guy, but soo many people I know think it is stupid to know anything about a vehicle...driving a standard is stupid, there are automatics that do it for you, don't check anything on the car, you don't want to get dirty...members of our society are actively discouraged from doing anything themself. I can't even check my oil level in my parking lot w/o getting dirty looks....

I'm with you. I can understand if a person is not physically able or they didnt have a choice of the vehicle, but to avoid manual trannies and to prefer an automatic is weird to me. At this age where I am able, and that im not restricted to driving a vehicle not offered with one eg. minivan id much rather drive a manual. Some people think it's too much of a hassle to "worry" about shifting, but after a while you dont have to think about it, it becomes "automatic".

I know people like that. My friend thinks I'm nuts to change the oil on my car, and work on it. He asks why I don't just take it to the dealer or jiffy lube, like when the alternator died. He can't stand getting dirty and greasy when I couldn't care less really. Though I do like automatics. I will probably learn to drive a manual for sake of knowing how, but I still probably will prefer automatics in cars. I can't see any good, real, solid, reason to get a standard over an automatic. Today, if you notice, most cars have better rated fuel efficiency over their manual counterparts.

1 reason - more fun, 'involved' driving.

In an auto, you don't do anything other than steer, and click your indicators. You are actually 'driving' a standard.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

You are a car guy. Trust me, after you learn you will want one.

+1 Tooling along a windy road is much more fun with a manual, and you can learn to rev match your downshifts and even impress most people who have driven manuals for years.
Its more of a rwd thing but you can also change the under/oversteer balance of the car with the throttle with a manual.
To use the video game analogy, autos are like have a 2 or 3 button controller vs. a 5 or 10 or whatever they have these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back