Best lube to keep tires from locking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the clearest name for the topic, i know. My fourwheeler's wheel's keep freezing when it gets cold. Would WD-40 work or grease (like out of a gun) to keep these suckers from freezing?

P.S, there is no mud caked on the wheel's.

Are your brakes freezing? I can't imagine bearings with enough water in them to freeze functioning normally...
If you have drums they should have a drain to let water out, maybe its plugged?

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
What do you mean by "freezing?"

I mean when I put it in gear to go, and give it gas, the wheels won't turn. I have to use a hammer and wack the [censored] out of them.

Guys I am sorry. The tires are not freezing to the ground. they are froze from the axel. Sorry this is not plain. I have never had this to happen before.

In other words the back tires may be turning fine, but the fronts are not moving. Just stiff.

1st disassemble and find the cause. If its the front brakes you want to correct the problem. If it is the bearings and or axle then clean and use a good high temp bearing grease.

I have this same problem with the rear drum brakes on my Ranger. I usually always set my ebrake but if it gets too cold out, the brakes freeze locked. I have to put it in gear and practically gun it to get the drive wheels to break free. There have been times when I actually had to put it in 4wd to break them loose. I normally just don't set my brake when it gets really cold. I never thought about lubing them. Not sure if it would help or not.

I've had it happen with drum brakes where the brake would freeze to the drums if I set the emergency brake. I had to rock the vehicle from first to reverse and crack the ice bond. I don't set the emergency brake in very cold weather anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back