State Farm warned NHTSA in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1

So now that the gov owns 2 competitors it is very convienient to attack the competition. Hmmmmm.

Did GM and Chrysler screw this up for Toyota?

Sure, Toyota picked a really bad time to botch things up this badly. Maybe if they hadn't allegedly covered it up for the better part of a decade, they could have dealt with it in a better regulatory environnment.

Sucks to be them.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Do you always see conspiracies in everything, or are you really...

...I can't think of a second thing. But seriously, not everything is a conspiracy.

No...but the government has never attacked an automaker like this before. It is unprecidented. The current adm in Dc is attacking banks, auto companies, insurance companies, pretty much everybody they don't like. I don't want to get political but this is very unusual and the guys doing the attacking have a big stake in GM & Chrysler.

Not a coincidence IMO.

But in your constant "leave Toyota alone" ranting you keep overlooking one tiny little detail; there is a real issue here, one which State Farm, a non-Government/non-UAW entity has corroborated.

Is it harassing Toyota if it's actually true? Moreover, if it wasn't a problem, don't you think Toyota would come out swinging harder that it is to save its stellar reputation?

And you know what, and I realize I'm getting close to political content here, if the administration is taking a special interest here for reasons that go beyond safety, so what? The Japanese government isn't exactly tearing down walls it's erected over time to keep foreign goods out of there, and I'm not talking about American cars either. And let's not get into the subsidies they pour into their industry. Maybe it's time that some of our trading "partners" get a taste of their own medicine.

Truth be told, in a way, I hope the administration is doing this on purpose. It'd be the first thing they've done that I actually agree with.

Originally Posted By: opus1
... if the administration is taking a special interest here for reasons that go beyond safety, so what? The Japanese government isn't exactly tearing down walls it's erected over time to keep foreign goods out of there, ...

Yep, revenge is a dish you serve up cold.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Yeah, the people who died in those Toyota mishaps aren't really dead, its just an allusion by the Government. Tell that to the families.

That's right!! They are not dead, they are being held by GM in a non-disclosed facility being tortured for buying a Toyota. SHHH.... Don't tell anyone, OK?

Originally Posted By: Norse
Yeah, the people who died in those Toyota mishaps aren't really dead, its just an allusion by the Government. Tell that to the families.

That's right!! They are not dead, they are being held by GM in a non-disclosed facility being tortured for buying a Toyota. SHHH.... Don't tell anyone, OK?

Shhhhh.....I heard they are being held at the old Moon Landing soundstage in the desert of New Mexico.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: Norse

Shhhhh.....I heard they are being held at the old Moon Landing soundstage in the desert of New Mexico.
thumbsup2.gif

Do you always just make up excuses or are you really that afraid of the truth. What paperwork game? Sure the government "sort of" owns these companies....better do the math there guy....the government owns ALL of the controlling interest in GM and will for decades. They need to promote their products and the best way is to turn their competitors products into death traps...even Jon Stewart figured that out.

Obviously you do not understand how government processes work. There is a significant due process set that is done for most anything. No investigation or action is done willy-nilly.

Are ALL the banks that the government "owned" government banks anymore? Nope. The government, believe it or not, is not in the business, or desires the business of owning manufacturing, or much anything else, contrary to popular belief.

And guess what, unless you move from this country, YOU will always be on the hook for the UAW pensions, etc., regardless of how you feel on this topic. Sorry. Many pensions, etc. are government guaranteed. Had the domestic auto industry crashed, YOU would be paying more for it one way or another.

There are conspiracy theories behind everything. This is just another one with no real validity. There are plenty of other conspiracies with far more basis and truth behind them, which are not discussed because they arent PC. This is different. The vehicles were apparently "death traps" before the government inserted. The gov't had no ownership of GM in 2007. This was an issue before govt insertion of GM.

The fact that it correlates is a great way to sell news and make an issue of it. The talking eads need to talk about something, and make others feel smart by agreeing. It doesnt make it right/valid/validated.

And again, even if there is something behind it, YOU would be on the hook one way or another. I cannot see why you are taking such offense to what was obviously a marked, semi-obvious issue back in 2007, just because the government is trying to do something about it. Given the breadth of this issue, and the number of cars on the road, this is probably one of the biggest recall issues ever. Would one ever consider that perhaps this is why it is flagged? How many of the cars on the list for recall are in the top 10 most sold cars, year after year? It might just effect a lot of people.

This thread is funny. It's fun to watch fanboys on either side get their skivvies knotted up about Toyota.

And a giant conspiracy theory? That's icing on the humor cake.

I had a 86 toyota with unintentional rear wheel braking, or: UB. The spring clips that held the cable shifter yokes on the manual transmission lever would fall off and you could possibly (and I did) lock the transmission into 2 gears at once. This locks the rear wheels. This happened to me going 75 mph on a highway overpass in the HS lane when shifing to 5th. Talk about underwear change! There is NO WAY for the driver to unlock the rear wheels. As the rear was slewing, I just braked hard when going straightest and got it stopped against the guardrail. Good thing I had some motorsports driving experience. Then there was my ford F150 they didnt bolt up the tranny to the engine and the clutch stuck to the floor when pulling out into heavy traffic ... it goes on and on. If you owned more than a few cars you will find they are mostly ALL defective to some extent. If you have a pretty good one - of ANYTHING -rejoice!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back