Is Fiat good for Chrysler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a Jeep and it has been a decent SUV.sad to say my next car/truck will be a import.Ford is on top with their quality and I think GM will improve.My concern is if Mercedes Benz could not make Chrysler a rel player how can Fiat do it?What would happen to the Jeep brand if Chrysler needs to be broking up.It would be nice to see Ford/GM take the reins.Joe

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Ford used to build really good Jeeps, a friend of mine has one. I'd like to see them take over Jeep as well.

WW2 Wiley's if im not mistaken. Ford and a few other manufacturer's ramped up production for the military at that time.

I think the issue is did Daimler want Chrysler to be a real player? From what I understand, Daimler's intent was to suck what they could out of Chrysler and toss the carcass aside. If Fiat wants Chrysler to succeed, I see it happening.

The advantage to Fiat is a foot back in the door here in the US. Based on their last time here, I think the Fiat name is still tainted. But if Fiat starts putting out quality product under the Chrysler name, eventually we may see Fiat back as Fiat again. And if not, well, they'll be selling Chrysler-Fiats (Chryats? Fislers?) and making money that way.

Like fiats, dont know about fiat or if they understand the american market or the truck market. All pivots on if they hire a legendary CEO to run the US domestic (like Lee I.) I wonder what platforms theyll keep. Surely the fat RWD v8s will be banished. Thats oK, they werent very good ( refined) cars anyhow. Not in any way comaparable to the refined Grand Marquis or Buick LeSabre.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Ford used to build really good Jeeps, a friend of mine has one. I'd like to see them take over Jeep as well.

WW2 Wiley's if im not mistaken. Ford and a few other manufacturer's ramped up production for the military at that time.

Exactly right. It's neat to see the Ford script on a Jeep though.

OT, I agree with Opus, Chrysler was destined to fail under MB, thats the way the Germans wanted it.

If I compare the quality and reliablity of the Chrysler products I have owned...against F.I.A.T. then the answer is:

NO WAY.

It'll be difficult for Fiat to fix Chrysler if Fiat itself needs some serious fixing - their products aren't exactly at the top of the reliability rankings on their home turf.

I think Fiat has alot to offer chrysler, and vice a versa. Fiat has great small 4 cylinder engines. Chrysler has a fantastic new V6 coming out. I think they can both learn from each other.

The thing to remember about Daimler is that one market approach will not work for another.

There is a blog written by a few people from within Chrysler at the time of the buyout and how Daimler refused to listen to engineer's, marketing experts etc. Daimler played the game by rushing out vehicles, cutting corners which affected the customer base.

Daimler used their technologies in a few of the Chrysler vehicles(Crossfire) and others so I doubt they didn't want them to be a player, but didn't know how to turn a failing giant around efficiently. They didn't know how to budget properly or handle the employees. They thought they were better, acted like it by separating themselves from their Chrysler counterparts and no real communication took place other than terminating employees who were vocal about a bad decision rather than listen to them.

a friend of mine had a fiat of some sorts back in the early 60's hope im remembering that rite,,anyway it was a good car, we ran it to death and then some...........

FIAT line up
I think there must be a couple cars in here that would do well in N.A.
Revive the Neon name with a Fit/Yaris competitor with 20 more hp and some attitude.
Borrow a 4 or 5 cyl diesel engine for small/mid size work pickup and work van.

I think Chrysler was the most "italian" car company of the big 3 before Daimler wrecked them, the cab forward cars were stylish and had decent driving dynamics compared to what Ford and GM offered at the time. And I think people still buy chrysler cars because they are more interesting than most other cars. Having mid size rwd cars for example.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It'll be difficult for Fiat to fix Chrysler if Fiat itself needs some serious fixing - their products aren't exactly at the top of the reliability rankings on their home turf.

Oh really, have you driven a Fiat lately? How about Lancia or Alfa Romeo?

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I think Fiat has alot to offer chrysler, and vice a versa. Fiat has great small 4 cylinder engines. Chrysler has a fantastic new V6 coming out. I think they can both learn from each other.

Agree 100% Let's stay positive.

I think Marchionne and his boys are bent on making Chrysler like we have never seen them, but it takes time and money and it seems they don't have much of either. Ditto rudolphna

Mercedes and Chrysler had nothing in common so it's not a surprise that the acquisition didn't work. FIAT operates in the same category as Chrysler but they have very little expertise in the truck and SUV markets.

What I don't understand is how they are going to keep Chrysler cars that employ Mercedes technologies like the 300 (perhaps the best Chrysler car in recent memory).

Only time will tell.

Is the new V6 that will be built at one of their plants in Mexico?

Understand as part of the bankruptcy deal that the Wisconsin plant will be closed down?

This is another question that asks us to gaze into our crystal balls and speculate on the future.

The relationship between Fiat / Chrysler has not been going on long enough for there even to be new product on the market as a result of that relationship.

There is certainly promise of new product... and Fiat brings with it some of what Chrysler needs.

I'm hoping the relationship will result in some great vehicles with excellent reliability and quality.

Chrysler already experimented with mid size CRI diesel in the Liberty. One tnhing I would hope Fiat would bring to the table for Chrysler in the North American marketplace is their small diesel engine technology. The problem may be meeting the stringent US EPA emissions standards for new diesels. Volkswagen/Audi (TDI) are able to do it without urea injection, using just a DPF setup. An updated Dodge Neon class of vehicle powered by a small 'clean diesel' engine capturing 38 - 40mpg around town and 46 - 50mpg on the road, would be a seller. As long as the dealership netword could prove competent at maintaining/repairing them... something VW dealerships need to improve upon with their TDI's...

Originally Posted By: SrDriver

Is the new V6 that will be built at one of their plants in Mexico?

Understand as part of the bankruptcy deal that the Wisconsin plant will be closed down?

Believe at least one version will be built in Trenton, MI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back