VQ35DE Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who here owns a vehicle equipped with a Nissan VQ35DE engine?

What has your experience been with oil consumption? Is it normal for these engines to consume oil? Do certain maintenance habits and break-in procedures reduce oil consumption?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Why, is your Mom's new Nissan consuming oil?

Please don't jinx me.
grin2.gif

I've just heard that it is an issue, even with the newer ones. I just want to see what the others have to say.

Well, if hers does not consume oil it dose not matter much what others have to say. It's one of those wait and see things.

I've heard all kinds of stories about oil consumption on every car I've ever owned and in over 47 years of driving I have never owned a car that consumed oil.

That engine is in a 2002 Maxima correct? I have a 2002 Maxima purchased new which has 112k on it. I do 5k oil changes now and it takes 1/4 to 1/2 quart to top of at about 3k miles. I did 3k OCI up until about 90k and used whatever name brand oil was on sale at the time.

If this is the vehicle is question (from your signature):

'10 Nissan Altima 3.5SR V6- 200 mi- Factory Fill

I wouldn't be very worried. The early VQ35DE and HRs were/are known to consume oil, but I the newer ones seem a bit better.

FWIW, I have also have 2002 Maxima which consumes oil based upon driving style; 1+ quarts per 4k miles if driven aggressively, 1/2 quart if driven nicely.

My 2005 Maxima (VQ35DE) does not consume any oil (I have used M1, M1 EP, PP, Synpower). I drive this car very aggressively.

On the other hand my dad has a 98 Maxima (VQ30DE) and it appears to be consuming 1/4 to 1/2 quarts per 3-4k miles.

My 04 G35 did not develop any discernable consumption problems. I broke it in on Havo dino 5w-30 for the first couple changes, and then ran it on GC after that. I drove it in relatively sporting fashion in town, but I also had a lot of long, lazy highway miles too. Having been a member of several related fora, including those related to sideways VQ-35s (Maxima.org, etc.), I don't think this engine is naturally inclined to drink oil.
cheers3.gif

From what I've read on the maxima board, there are some with cars that consume huge amounts of oil, but the majority either don't consume or consume a normal amount in relation to the age and mileage of the car.

My one doesn't have any noticeable consumption. Dipstick always reads the same when I check it.

are these the engines in the g35? a friend of mine works at an infiniti dealership and says the 6spd g35 come in often about oil consumption. Something to do with the pcv valve or so. i dont re-call exactly.

Had two Infiniti's with the VQ35s
1st one used oil, after easy break-in and Mobil 1
2nd one used no oil, after hard break-in and Rotella T-Syn

Many had cats coming apart that eat the rings out of them. Valve overlap sucked the particles into the cylinders and it was like valve lapping compound on the cylinder walls. I don't think Nissan ever issued a recall but fixed the vehicles on a case-by-case basis. I am not even sure what vin#s were involved but it has supposed been fixed in the newer models. Most of those went bad in short order though. There usually was no doubt whether you had a problem. The engine would spin over as free as if the spark plugs were not in the heads.

1/3 qt low @ 550 miles.

Factory fill is Genuine Nissan Ester Oil 5w-30.

Discuss.

Give it good break-in procedures. RPMs changing often, deceleration in gear starting at mid-RPMs going, progressively increase amount of throttle applied during acceleration, and progressively increase peak RPM.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Give it good break-in procedures. RPMs changing often, deceleration in gear starting at mid-RPMs going, progressively increase amount of throttle applied during acceleration, and progressively increase peak RPM.

My dad refuses to drive it hard (or let me drive it hard), citing old-school wisdom that a gentle break-in is best.

Regardless, we've varied the highway speed between 60-70 and due to the way the CVT is set-up, the RPM only varies +/- 150 rpm.

And even when it is driven around town, with moderate acceleration, the revs rarely go about 2000rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back