Any Good Years For Ford Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into Ford Explorers and it seems many of them have problems with the transmission and various body problems. Were there any good years for the Ford Explorer? Anyone have a good experience owning an Explorer?

1991-1994 models are good except for the A4LD automatic. M5OD manual ones are reliable. Some people never have problems with their A4LDs, but they need regular maintenance to last.

1995 brought an updated 4R55E transmission that was more reliable than the A4LD. I never had any problems with mine which had 158K miles when I sold it, and the previous owner said that he never did anything to the trans but fluid changes. V8s have always used the 4R70W which is a pretty good transmission. The 5R55E 5-speed auto came out in 1997 for use with the SOHC 4.0. Some have had issues with a shift flare caused by a leak in the valve body.

The SOHC 4.0 V6 engine became available in 1997. It's not a bad engine, but they did have issues with noisy timing chain tensioners for years. This also seems to be the Explorer engine most prone to head gasket issues.

Any Explorer from 1991-2001 could rust along the rockers and header panel (where the radiator mounts). Check for rust here...it may be hidden by rocker covers. I'm not sure where rust spots might be on 2002+ models.

If I were looking for an Explorer, I'd mostly be looking at 1995-2000 4.0 OHV models and 1996-2001 V8 models. I wouldn't pass up a 1991-1994 that has been well cared for though, and I'd probably consider a SOHC 4.0 if I liked the rest of the truck.

Last edited:
Biggest problem was their propensity to roll over and the top crushing down to the top of the seats. Any other problems were just nuisances.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Were there any good years for the Ford Explorer? Anyone have a good experience owning an Explorer?

Yes. Those models that were called BroncoII's....

My brother had a couple 2000 vintage ford explorers. Both had the 4.0L SOHC motor, and both had rattling timing chains.

The truck sounded like a loud diesel engine all the time when he traded it in.

This motor was a boat anchor. To change the timing chain, you needed to yank the motor, as the chain is in the front and the back.

Avoid that motor, it got terrible gas mileage also.

The only explorer I would consider would be a 2002+ explorer with the 4.6L all aluminum V8 motor.

The 2001 and previous vintage came with the 302 motor which is a good runner, but much less refined and worse on gas.

Remember to look for the Mercury clone also..

I have a '02 with the v-6 motor no problems with that or the trans but, whats annoying is the odometer has stopped working. Once in a while it will start working.Kind of a pita as you can't tell when to change the oil, or when following directions that say go 4 miles and make left. I asked at a dealer and they said anywhere between $250- $1,000 to fix it depending if they can fix the unit or they have to replace it.,

Quote:
The only explorer I would consider would be a 2002+ explorer with the 4.6L all aluminum V8 motor.
Son owns an 05 Explorer 4.5L 2WD, last of 2 valve engines, bought new. Glad he got the V8 rather than the V6. Runs smooth and with ~65k and normal maintenance, so far so good.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Biggest problem was their propensity to roll over and the top crushing down to the top of the seats. Any other problems were just nuisances.

My 1994 Explorer was my first vehicle when I turned 16. Being a dumb teenage boy, I drove very reckless and fast, and took many really fast, really sharp turns. I NEVER came close to flipping it. Trust me, you have to actually TRY HARD to flip an Explorer over.

My Explorer has been the most tough, reliable vehicle my family has ever had and is THE reason I'm a Ford fan and bought my Ranger. You HAVE to maintain the transmission (fluid changes!!) if you want it to last a long time. (I have 151k original miles on my trans) 2nd gen SOHC V6s had the timing chain issue. If it's already been fixed with the updated parts, it's good for 250k+ miles.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Were there any good years for the Ford Explorer? Anyone have a good experience owning an Explorer?

Yes. Those models that were called BroncoII's....

smirk2.gif
Yeah, you got your choice between the computer controlled carburated 2.8 or the head cracking 2.9 engines, the same A4LD transmission as the Explorer, except it's the much weaker version, the weak Mitsubushi manual trans, the incredibly weak Dana 28 front axle, and the weaker 7.5" rear axle.

Exactly WHAT makes any of that better than a 1st gen Explorer with a stout 4.0 V6, excellent M5OD manual trans or updated A4LD, Dana 35 front axle and 8.8" 31-spline rear axle?

They were not naturally prone to rolling. THE most roll-prone model would be the Explorer Sport. All of the longer wheelbase ones are very stable.

If you can get one with the 5.0L V8, jump all over it. The 302 is bullet-proof, gets better gas mileage than the V6 versions, and is just a very good engine overall.

I now have four in my companies work fleet 2005-2008 plus my personal Explorer. The four are the 4.0 SOHC V6.

Two over 100,000 miles, one pushing 175,000. One transmission rebuild at 99,000, 1 rear wheel bearing and 1 alternator. That is it besides routine maintenance.

The only complaint I have with the 4.0 SOHC is the fuel milage. About the same as my newer V8

Prices are low so a good deal can be had. Consumers Reports has the 2005 and 2007 being a tad higher in reliability for the 2002-2007 models.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
If you can get one with the 5.0L V8, jump all over it. The 302 is bullet-proof, gets better gas mileage than the V6 versions, and is just a very good engine overall.

+1

They were not naturally prone to rolling. THE most roll-prone model would be the Explorer Sport. All of the longer wheelbase ones are very stable.

Even the Sports are not very rollover prone-- my Explorer is a 2-door Sport, and well, read my first post. You have to actually TRY and WANT to flip it over in order to flip it.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Even the Sports are not very rollover prone-- my Explorer is a 2-door Sport, and well, read my first post. You have to actually TRY and WANT to flip it over in order to flip it.

Mine was a Sport too. I had to drive it into a grass median at 70 MPH to avoid a metal bumper that fell off of a truck in front of me. I never once felt like I was going to flip it...I slowed down and then merged back on the interstate without even stopping.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: exranger06

Mine was a Sport too. I had to drive it into a grass median at 70 MPH to avoid a metal bumper that fell off of a truck in front of me. I never once felt like I was going to flip it...I slowed down and then merged back on the interstate without even stopping.

Shhhh, don't tell Eddie
wink.gif

I am looking into Ford Explorers and it seems many of them have problems with the transmission and various body problems. Were there any good years for the Ford Explorer? Anyone have a good experience owning an Explorer?

There were a lot of good years for the Explorer. You never hear about all the people that have never had problems. You only hear about the bad ones.

We have almost 99,000 miles on our 05. Wife bought it brand new right before we got married. Other than replacing the alternator around 90,000 miles, it has been extremely reliable. Even the alternator gave us plenty of warning. The dash computer kept saying "check charging system" long before the alternator actually failed. It kept my wife from being stranded somewhere.

I really can't say enough about this vehicle. It was our only car for 2 years after we got married. We drove the [censored] out of it, driving home on long weekends all the time, completely loaded up with all our stuff, in temps ranging from 0F to 105F depending on the season. It is very easy on tires and has never needed an alignment. Still has all orginal braking components. Pretty much everything is still original except tires, filters, fluids and the alternator.

I definitely was not a Ford fan before. In fact I wouldn't touch ANY American made car with a 10 mile pole. I remember being in disbelief that my fiance had just bought a $30K+ American SUV. Our next vehicle will certainly be a Ford product, more than likely the next gen. Exploder.

Indeed, my old '97 is still going strong. My sister drives it, has 32x,000Km on it now. Runs like a top. 4.0L OHV.

My wife bought new a 1993 Sport with the 5 sp manual. I don't know anything about it, it was before we met. She then traded it for a new 1996 Sport with the 4.0 OHV and auto tranny. Except for the inherent rough ride due to the short wheel base that was a fantastically reliable vehicle. NO repairs ever needed, just factory recommended services. It ran like a champ but she traded it in at 115,000 miles for a 2002 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine. That was a POS. All sorts of small problems plus the factory Bosch rotors, all four of them rusted and split apart shortly after the warranty. Worst of all was the timing chain tensioners, front and rear, went bad at 47,000 miles. Looking at a very expensive repair with the same "quality" parts at that time. Traded it it in for a new 2005 EB Explorer with the 4.6 V-8. Problems with rusting rear brake components, not covered under Premium ESP. Also the rear diff was rebuilt twice, a common problem it seems with the diffs with aluminum housing I believe. That WAS covered by the Premium ESP. Otherwise it would have been $1,800+ out of pocket. Otherwise the 2005 has been reliable and the 4.6 V-8 only gets about 1 to 2 mpg less than the 4.0 SOHC engine. Other than the "rough" ride her 1996 was the most reliable one. Maybe because she ordered it in IRIS, aka Barney Purple
smirk2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back