whats the best oil for mini cooper s

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Please see the sticky in this sub-forum. We could all tell you our favorite oils but we need more info to make a good recommendation. Here's the link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1664795

Mobil 1 for a turbo. PP and Synpower would be good choices too.

A few years ago, Mobil tested Syntec for deposit control. Mobil 1 scored a 5.3 on the TEOST test, Syntec was at 26.4. Poor deposit control from the other synthetics. The others also failed to meet Honda's HTO-06 spec.

The 'S' is supercharged. M1, PP, Amsoil, and the list goes on. As Johnny said, what does the manual recommend?

Originally Posted By: buster

A few years ago, Mobil tested Syntec for deposit control. Mobil 1 scored a 5.3 on the TEOST test, Syntec was at 26.4. Poor deposit control from the other synthetics. The others also failed to meet Honda's HTO-06 spec.

buster, if the grades are not listed then this is misleading

castrol syntec 0w30 is a whole different animal compared to their other grades

Originally Posted By: webfors
The 'S' is supercharged. M1, PP, Amsoil, and the list goes on. As Johnny said, what does the manual recommend?

Some S's are turbo, some are supercharged.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: buster

buster, if the grades are not listed then this is misleading

castrol syntec 0w30 is a whole different animal compared to their other grades

It was Syntec 5w-30 vs Mobil 1 5w-30. Yes, 0w-30 is a different animal.

The 'S' is supercharged.

Not as of 2007. Now it's turbocharged and direct injected.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
The 'S' is supercharged.

Not as of 2007. Now it's turbocharged and direct injected.

That must be a different little animal with turbo... guess I was running on yesterdays specs.

The Mini Cooper convertible is my wifes dream car... hope it seats 4 comfortably
grin2.gif

Let's wait to hear what the manual recommends first and take it from there.

The Mini Cooper convertible is my wifes dream car... hope it seats 4 comfortably
grin2.gif

It doesn't.

Any oil with European standards.

M1 0w40
GC 0w30
Motul X-lite 0w30
Motul X-Max 5W30

Mini/BMW recommends either 5w30 or 5w40, so any of these oils would be fine IMO since they're 100C vis sits right at the diving line between a 30 and 40 weight oil. They all also have some sort of BMW spec. Either LL-98 or LL-01. And they can all handle long drain intervals.

Last edited:
I agree with what most of the others have said. GC 0W-30, M1 0W-40, or RTS 5W-40. I'd try the RTS first, do a UOA on the first and second UOA, and see how it goes. I know the WRX STI's absolutely love it, and they have a 'little' more power running through them than a Mini Cooper S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back