Motor oil Recommendations for 09 Hyundai Veracruz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am all new to this, and this year I've decided to go for DIY and I am pretty sure I need a lot of help. I'd like to hear your opinions on what oil I should use on my 09 Hyundai Veracruz as far as conventional/synthetic, brands, grades and oil change interval and the reasons.
Here is the situation;
car: 09 Hyundai Veracruz 3.8L V6 SUV - had first oil change at the dealer using Valvoline 5W-20(conventional) @ 3000 miles

manual calls for: API- SJ, SL or above, ILSAC- GF-3 or above
use SAE 5W-20. 5W-30 or 10w-30 if normal temps are
above 0 F
no mention on synthetic oils
OCI- 7500 miles for normal, 3000 miles for severe
condition
circumstance: 90% street driving, heavy traffic stop and go situation,
most trips less than 10 miles
medium to heavy load occasionally
rarely sandy, dusty, hilly, or mountain driving
avg normal operating temp: 45 F - 100 F, in Southern
Calif.
avg miles driven: 6000 miles per year
I'm am easy driver, not hard on gas pedal
planning to keep the car as long as I can
and it will be DIY
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest Motorcraft 5w20 and 6 month changes with a good filter like a Purolator Pureone. That synthetic blend oil should do perfectly for you in the type of drive you do.

You could also do fine with virtually any brand of 5w30/5w20 oil. I think the Motorcraft is the best band for the buck in 5w20.

its pretty hard to argue with the beast - the Motorcraft is a synth blend. that, Pennzoil Yellow, Pennz Plat, or M1 would be my choice. change it every 6 months. first filter choice is the purolator pure one.

Originally Posted By: Redragonfly
whatabout using synthetic

You wouldn't benefit from a full synthetic and 3k mile oil changes. While you are under powertrain warranty, the manufacture's interval should be followed.

Full synthetic every 3,000 or regualar dollar general oil every 3,000 will do fine if they both have the proper specs.

The drain plug might take a replaceable crush washer.

I would also recommend hyundai brand oil filters.

They are rather inexpensive and they usually throw in the drain plug crush washers when you buy the filter.

5-6$ each

crush washer

Filter

Last edited:
I use PP 5W-20 in my 09 Hyundai Santa Fe. Stick with oem filters, your 3.8L has a top loaded cartridge filter.

Originally Posted By: Redragonfly
whatabout using synthetic

Redragonfly,

I see no reason why you can't use a synthetic of your choice assuming you do your own oil changes. If not you might consider asking the dealership if they provide as an option a synthetic instead of dino. My GM offers this option on my 08' Impala SS so I just use what they offer.

If you change you own then I too recommend using the OEM filters and buy the most common synthetic at your local parts shop. I personally use Mobil 1 synthetic in 5W-30 weight and go by what the schedule services says in your manuel.

That's what I do cuz your Veracruz is still under warranty.

Durango

Thank you all for your input.
Actually I was thinking about using Mobil1 5W 30 - from local Sam's Club - with OIC @ 5,000 miles
Questions are the following;
1. Mobil1 5W 30 or 5W 20: I thought maybe it'd better to use 5W 30 because of the So Calif hot Summer weather, even though 5w 30 might have more viscosity modifier than 5W 20 but since i am planning on changing the oil every 5,000 miles I'd thought it would be ok.
2. OCI @ 5,000 miles with Mobil1: I would change the oil every 3,000 miles if I were using the conventional but I thought I would be comfortable with 5,000 miles
3. Warrantable claims: I am not sure if I will have any problem with the powertrain warranty at the dealer if I do it on my own with Mobil1 with OCI @ 5,000 miles as long as I keep all the receipts.
4. I thought the Hyundai oil filter part # for Veracruz is this: 26320-3C100, which fits into the long housing without the hex nut on top of the filter housing cap. And for new filter # with the hex nut cap is 26320-3C250(They changed it)

Thanks for reading and appreciate your inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back