Honda Accord 4 cyl - lifters ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Honda Accord 4 cyl has reached 192,000 and for the last 10,000 km or so, I have been hearing some noise from the lifters - wondering what I can do to try and make it go away?

The oil that is in there now is M1 5W20 with PureOne filter - prior to that it ran on Castrol GTX a couple of oil changes. I usually go 7,000 km between oil changes. 70% highway driving.

I have had the car since new and it is well taken care of.

I have been adding mmo to the tank for the last 3,000 km, but have not noticed significant difference.

Should I try going with a different brand of oil?

Additives?

Thicker oil?

What say you experts?

I don't think any additive or oil is going to stop the ticking. Hondas use mechanical cams and the ticking is probably becuase the valve lash is too wide and a valve adjustment is needed.

Hi.
I haven't tried it in the engine, yet, but in a manual transmission, a product called Rev-X worked wonders and actually solved a problem that ARX and other products was not able to solve.
Quite surprising.

I saw 10 users on another forum, that had great success with it, in engines.

Could be worth a try.

And, don't forget to report back, about your results.

Nothing in a bottle will stop valve clatter if its that bad, take it to a dealer or someone for a once over, its a thought..........before theres any bad damage

Get a valve adjustment done, no additive in a bottle will cause mechanical lifters to quiet down. Honda recommends a 110,000 mile adjustment interval (177k KM), so i think it would be worth the $100 -$150 to get them adjusted.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't think any additive or oil is going to stop the ticking. Hondas use mechanical cams and the ticking is probably becuase the valve lash is too wide and a valve adjustment is needed.

+1 you need an adjustment

Is it indeed the valves? Since you've owned it since new, you might be the only one to know for sure. Injectors, purge control solenoid valve, PCV, etc. all make noises as well.

valve clearance on a Honda 4 cyl will DECREASE as the system wears.
FWIW valve adjust at dealer will run you closer to $350

Steve

Valve clearance can get tighter or looser -it depends what components wear or seat in.
At those high miles, you are due for an adjustment.
A LITTLE loose is a bit noisy, but doesn't harm anything.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It's a DIY.

Sure is and here is a link for how to do it. This is an older accord than your but its the exact same process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wI4EtZSaA

You can do it!

I prefer the go-no go that another guy does in a different video. You use one size larger gauge than what you want your valves set at then tighten it down untill you have to pull out the gauge with a pair of pliers. This will ensure that all your valves are exactly the same and you wont have to go by feel. Hope that made sense???

Last edited:
The can needs maintenance, not more snake oil in the crankcase.

Here's a pic of 2005 valve gear. It looks like a 1 hour job.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/2005%...adjustment1.jpg

Depending on how the car has been driven, valves CAN loosen over time. If you're running M1 5w-30, which tends to dissolve the cam lobes, they may be VERY loose!
28.gif

FWIW, on my older Honda, they have never been off by more than 0.001" After checking every 15K, and finding nothing, I've relaxed the schedule to 50K.

Last edited:
Me,I`d never ever put an additive in the engine. Maybe try a different motor oil and see what happens. Try a good dino like Valvoline or Pennzoil and an oem oil filter and see if there`s any change. MUCH cheaper experimenting with a different oil that to have a major repair done.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback!

I am going to have the valves adjusted.

Thanks Geonard for that link
cheers3.gif
it looks somple enough and I am really tempted to give it a try, but I have no experience with changing anything except the various fluids and filters, so I am not sure if I should attempt it

I already have the valve cover gasket and new spark plugs for it to go in at the same time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve20
valve clearance on a Honda 4 cyl will DECREASE as the system wears.
FWIW valve adjust at dealer will run you closer to $350

Steve

Avoid that dealer at all costs. I WISH it was 300 bucks to adjust the valves on a 4cyl Honda.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
The can needs maintenance, not more snake oil in the crankcase.

Here's a pic of 2005 valve gear. It looks like a 1 hour job.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/2005%...adjustment1.jpg

Depending on how the car has been driven, valves CAN loosen over time. If you're running M1 5w-30, which tends to dissolve the cam lobes, they may be VERY loose!
28.gif

FWIW, on my older Honda, they have never been off by more than 0.001" After checking every 15K, and finding nothing, I've relaxed the schedule to 50K.

M1 5w-30 dissolves cam lobes?

I'm surprised you went that many miles on a SOHC before the valves needed adjustment. You are now probably due for a timing belt and that usually means a new water pump and maybe a tensioner etc. When did the Accord 4-cyl go to a timing chain and DOHC. I thought it was around '05?

The '03-07 gen has a chain, not a belt, and also turns clockwise, unlike every previous Honda car four cylinder engine, except for the S2000.
The engine is swapped 180 degrees around, as well, from all previous Honda FWDs.
I've owned six Hondas, and the valve clearences on mine have rarely needed adjustment, and it is pretty easy to do.
It is fun to remove the cover, though, and see just how clean it looks up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back