best oil for a 98 acura integra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for the best synthetic to run in my 98 integra i love these little cars and want to protect the engine best i can. it has 128+ on the engine now 5speed and i drive pretty hard at times because of my lead foot. plan to outfit with cold air and slx chip to increase performance but know that oil is the lifeblood of the car. dealer calls for 5w-30 but at the moment i am running mobil 1 syn 0w-40 runs quiet even rpm at 900-to 1000 when car is idling car is burning more gas now wonder why that is. I want to occasionally race to whats the best oil that comes out of stores to run also using mobil 1 filter

In my opinion I believe you are using one of the best oil out there. Keep using that especially with the modifications you are talking about. Do you know when the PCV was last replaced? I would replace that if its never been replaced. I would also use a carb cleaner for the intake for better performance before the chip and CAI.

What size is the motor in that car? The reason I ask is because I have a 99 acura CL with the 2.3 in it and I'll running M1 0W40 in it and I like it. I'll be doing a UOA on it in 7500 miles to see how it holds up of me beating the [censored] out of it.

I drive mine hard, but I only use 30 grade in mine. I've had good results with Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil, Valvoline and Havoline judging by my UOAs. All in 5W-30 as well. IMO you don't need 40-grade but it won't hurt, either. I find that my car tends to sound more quiet with a thinner oil, actually. I haven't gotten the UOA yet but I like the way Castrol Edge feels and sounds in my car thus far.
J_Myler - It's a 1.8L 142-hp 4-cylinder.

The 0w-40 is a good choice for your app.

There are others, like Syntec 0w-30, M1 10w-30 Hi-Miles, MaxLife Synth. All are heavier 30 weights. Likely a 30 weight would work well too and have the same wear rates, but if you like the smoothness of the thicker oil, that's a reason to use it.

Whomever told you to try the 0w-40 knew what they were talking about. The German Castrol Syntec aka "GC" would be worth trying.

any good 5w30 will work just fine. the 0w40 you are using is also a good choice but the 40w is not needed.

you will find it hard/difficult to find any "chip" for that 98 integra. actually any integra from 96 and up has a non-modifiable ecu. you only choice would be to convert it back to obd1 for a custom ecu program.

but in the 10+ years that i have owned my integra and many many many different engine setups i can guarantee that you will gain next to nothing unless you have some major internal work to justify the cost of doing ecu mods.

good luck....

go find u an old 389 4 barrel carb, simple points, rotor button, etc,,400 hp, i guarantee u will have the fastest ride in town

Originally Posted By: rjnagler
Im looking for the best synthetic to run in my 98 integra i love these little cars and want to protect the engine best i can. it has 128+ on the engine now 5speed and i drive pretty hard at times because of my lead foot. plan to outfit with cold air and slx chip to increase performance but know that oil is the lifeblood of the car. dealer calls for 5w-30 but at the moment i am running mobil 1 syn 0w-40 runs quiet even rpm at 900-to 1000 when car is idling car is burning more gas now wonder why that is. I want to occasionally race to whats the best oil that comes out of stores to run also using mobil 1 filter

Don't forget the stickers, man - they add like 30 horsepower!

I am SO sick of kids with 140hp 'buzz boxes' that think they have a race car b/c they add an intake and a chip.....

Just run ANY 5W-30...you can't drive it hard enought to actually hurt it!

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: rjnagler

Don't forget the stickers, man - they add like 30 horsepower!

I am SO sick of kids with 140hp 'buzz boxes' that think they have a race car b/c they add an intake and a chip.....

Just run ANY 5W-30...you can't drive it hard enought to actually hurt it!

:p

Yep. Key words are "kids" and "think". It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, then it is to drive a fast car slow, even if they result in the same acceleration and speed.

I am fine with the idea of funning with the little Hondas and slapping on stickers, but it offends me when one removes the cat, and puts on a coffee can exhaust. Same goes for the idiots that run straight pipe exhaust on their 350 sbc "hot rod" pickups around here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back