2010 Camaro V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Guys.

Just bought my wife a new Camaro with the V6. Manual calls for 5w30. Now the V8's come from the factory with Mobil 1; V6 does not.

What do you think would work better...Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum? I think they would both be good, but what concerns me is how thin the PP is compared to Mobil 1...if I am reading the specs right (new to this stuff)

Opinions?

Last edited:
There both great oils, flip a coin.

Now, lets see a picture of this new Camaro.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
There is something wrong with the grass in that picture!

Nice looking car though!

Don't you wish your white grass was that deep. We have new grass seeds falling out of the sky as I type this.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
There is something wrong with the grass in that picture!

Nice looking car though!

Yea, what is that white stuff on the ground, which i haven't seen in 10 years.

Stick with Mobil 1 synthetic, and you wont be sorry!

That motor is quite potent, has a high compression and in general its a whole different animal with the DI... so stick with the best oil.

Walmart sells the M1 for 23.50/5qts so just use that!
Why bother saving 2-3$ and getting oil that is not as popular.

I guess look up to the bigger V8 brother and use what he uses...

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the V6 in the Camaro is the 3.6L Direct Injection? If you do some searches you will find that the 3.6L DIs installed in the Acadia, Enclave, Outlook, & Traverse beat up both dino and syn oils in short order. Although many on this site will scream, you might not want to go longer than 3K to 4K miles if using dino or 5K to 6K miles on syn. Now, the very few UOAs for the 3.6L DI equipped CTSes do not show those beating up oil as bad and one UOA in a, I believe, Traverse using PP was not bad at all but I do not recall the OCI – maybe 6K? The 3.6L DIs used in cars are different then the ones used in the crossovers so concern over the ones in the crossovers may not be warranted by car owners However, you might want to go to the expense of doing an UOA to see how your 3.6L DI is doing and it is felt (unscientifically) that you are better served using an oil with as low of NOACK % as possible. M1 does not list their NOACK % and PP in a 5W30 flavor is over 12.5%. It is felt by some that you want an oil with a NOACK % of < 10% to avoid gunk from building up on the values.

I hope all realize that most all "major" oil companies do not list the actual NOAK numbers, they list the average. Example; lets say the API spec for NOAK is between 8 and 16, they just pick the middle number and post it. A lot of numbers on PDS are posted that way.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I hope all realize that most all "major" oil companies do not list the actual NOAK numbers, they list the average. Example; lets say the API spec for NOAK is between 8 and 16, they just pick the middle number and post it. A lot of numbers on PDS are posted that way.

Your right. Motul and many other Euro oils don't.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
M1 does not list their NOACK % and PP in a 5W30 flavor is over 12.5%. It is felt by some that you want an oil with a NOACK % of < 10% to avoid gunk from building up on the values.

Interesting. Looks like PP is out, then. I noticed that the API Starburst approved Amsoil XLF 5w30 has a novack of 8.9. I bet it would work well. I would like to know what Mobil 1's novack is though.

Last edited:
Well, here is something else to consider when putting your decision on a PDS sheet. As I said above, averages or posted. However, both Mobil 1 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 meet the Acura HT-06 spec. And my friend, you have to have some very good "actual" numbers to pass that test.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, here is something else to consider when putting your decision on a PDS sheet. As I said above, averages or posted. However, both Mobil 1 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 meet the Acura HT-06 spec. And my friend, you have to have some very good "actual" numbers to pass that test.

Interesting as well. [censored], makes the decision hard. Thing is, I really like that Amsoil XL too. Maybe I should just try all 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back