Superchips Power Programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

For the past year, I've been wanting to do a couple things to my truck, with adding a power programmer being one of them. Tax return season has come so the time for me is now, but Im having second thoughts. Am I taking a huge risk with using Superchips on my truck? Basically, are these programmers worth the $330, or do they just do more damage than good? I would plan on running the 91 octane performance tune on my truck.

I am also purchasing a cat-back exhaust at the same time as the power programmer. Would I be better off doing a CAI with the exhaust instead of the programmer. A K&N CAI is a little cheaper than the programmer, but Im not to sure which one I would rather have. I already have a drop in K&N air filter in the truck.

So what would you do? Im looking to get a little more power out of my 4.7l, but I dont want to have major consequences down the road like the engine failing at 150k. My driving style is mixed, with some freeway and light city driving. I dont race the truck except for on occasion when Im lined up at the light with someone who wants to go on green. Other than that, Im fairly easy on the truck. Im looking to get a little more power, along with the meaner sound of an exhuast.

Thanks!

If you've got a lifetime powertrain warranty, programmers void the warranty.

Someone will say "well they have to prove that the program caused the failure."

No they don't. They just refuse to warranty the repair.

Unless you're a multimillionaire with nothing but time on your hands, you'd be an idiot to sue a manufacturer.

The rear-wheel gains will be minimal with any combination of intake, exhaust and chip. Biggest improvement for many programmers on gas vehicles is improved shift quality & shift timing. You may also get improved throttle response.

IMHO your reliability won't be significantly affected. There's only so much a chip can do.

If you're fairly easy on the truck anyways, then the cheapest power improvement will be to hit the throttle harder for those instances you need more power.

The 4.7 has a great sound, an exhaust will really improve the overall sound of it. I'd do a cat-back (or just replace the muffler) and leave it at that.

And all you do is simply put the truck back to stock program before servicing.

Unless they want to specifically look they will never know.

Originally Posted By: robbobster
The rear-wheel gains will be minimal with any combination of intake, exhaust and chip. Biggest improvement for many programmers on gas vehicles is improved shift quality & shift timing. You may also get improved throttle response.

IMHO your reliability won't be significantly affected. There's only so much a chip can do.

If you're fairly easy on the truck anyways, then the cheapest power improvement will be to hit the throttle harder for those instances you need more power.

The 4.7 has a great sound, an exhaust will really improve the overall sound of it. I'd do a cat-back (or just replace the muffler) and leave it at that.

Here is a question. If such improvements were possible, why did the manufacturer not make them? Is it really the case that there are no possible downsides?

Thanks for you input guys! My major concern was whether or not it was a mistake to put something like this on a vehical. Im out of warranty, so that wont affect me either way.

I would really like to get a firmer shift, so I will probably give this thing a try and see what it does. Good news is it has good resale value on Ebay so if I end up hating it I can get my money back for the most part.

I just would rather spend $300 on a programmer instead of a CAI. The CAI seem like a waste to me, unless you have done more with engine mods.

Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine

Here is a question. If such improvements were possible, why did the manufacturer not make them? Is it really the case that there are no possible downsides?

If its true that these programmers work mainly with the transmission, then I could see it having little to no downsides.
If a programmer can make a transmission shift firmer, it means you tranmission is slipping less, generating less heat, and actually prolonging the life of the transmission. Any changes in shift patterns will give you better performance while sacraficing fuel economy.

These tuners are set very safe and at best you might see a 10hp bump and maybe 15-25lb. ft of torque increase. Usually a tune + CAI is the way to go for a decent bump in power and fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
These tuners are set very safe and at best you might see a 10hp bump and maybe 15-25lb. ft of torque increase. Usually a tune + CAI is the way to go for a decent bump in power and fuel economy.

Thanks Jason. I would be very happy with +10 hp. Im not looking for a miracal here, just a little extra go when I open it up.

Has anyone heard of the Airaid Modular Intake Tubes? It replaced from the factory air box to the throttle body and is supposed to increase performance. Would it compair to a CAI? I already have the K&N filter, and Im not to sure about spending $300 on a whole setup, but I could live with $109 on one of these tubes. http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/61A1850A0A0.aspx

Last edited:
I would check the various Mopar forums to see which programmer works best for your application. $300 is a lot of money...let someone else be the guinea pig.

I would check the various Mopar forums to see which programmer works best for your application. $300 is a lot of money...let someone else be the guinea pig.

Superchips is the only one that makes one for my Dakota. If I had a Durango or Ram with a Hemi I would have a ton of options. Hypertech also makes one, but its a chip and not a programmer, so you're stuck with what they have in the chip.
I have read reviews and with the Dakotas it changes the shift patterns, and people say their trucks shift "better." And also, it "wakes up" the motor and makes it feel like there is actually a V8 under the hood. So people have luck with it, but everyone has their own opinion when it comes to what shifting better is and what a woke up motor feels like.

I have a SuperChips on my Frontier and it is absolutely fantastic. I also have a CAI and cat-back which makes for a nice combination. Don't listen the the fear mongers. You won't "ruin" anything or void your warranty or shorten its life. [censored], we are only talking about 17 HP and 20 TQ (roughly) and if your vehicle can't handle that extra "stress" then you may as well junk it now, not later. If you are looking for a bump in MPGs, you probably won't see any and remember that if you go for the performance tunes you have to use premium fuel, so factor that into your budget (but they have an 87 oct tune, which I haven't bothered with).

Ah, if I worried about MPGs i wouldnt have got a pick up truck. Im really excited to do this Superchips now. I was just having those second thoughts. I wish on the Dodge Dakotas that the programmer would allow you to increase shift firmness, but unfortunatly they dont.

Originally Posted By: rengnath

Superchips is the only one that makes one for my Dakota.

They have a good reputation. I had a Superchip on my Expedition, then went to a full Superchip custom tune when I put a blower on it.

I remember for my old truck the only one that made a power chip was JET Chip, but some people claimed they felt no differnce at all. I atleast feel good about people for the most part liking superchips. Every product has that one group of people that wont ever agree with buying it.

I think the best bang for you buck is a CAI and a good free performance exhaust, then chip. At my shop we do alot of the CIA and custom exhaust and alot of the time thats plenty for people before the chip, we use superchips and last vehicle we did made a heck of a difference with a CIA CHIP AND EXHASUT compared to stock, plus you can tgune it yourself when you want for tow, play, or ecomony and it stores factory settings which is nice. it all depends on what you want to spend though

Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine

Anything that the OEM installs needs to pass several standards, first being (something like) 10+ year durability. No aftermarket company can do that. There are plenty of offroad kits for jeeps. Lifts ..MEGA shocks ..bushings..long arms ..etc...etc. I've yet to see the mod'er who builds a poser jeep who gets the longevity out of their very expensive upgrade that the abusing stocker gets out of his OEM stuff.

Making OEM durable performance isn't cheap. Cars are sold to a competitive price point.

Well it looks like for an intake Im going to try the Airaid Modular Intake Tube. Its within the budget and it looks like it will take away alot of restriction. I plan on having the intake, programmer, and exhuast on my truck by the middle of March. Now for the intake do I need to reset my PCM? What process do I want to take for this? Do I want to reset the PCM, install the intake tube, drive it around for a while and then use the power programmer?
I will have the intake and power programmer first, and I wont have a chance to install the exhuast till March 6th. Im going to pick up the intake this week, the programmer the next week, and finally the exhaust after that. How should I go about installing all of this? Should I wait till after the exhaust to program the truck?

You can reset your computer by removing the negative battery cable for 15 minutes. Most vehicles you do not need to reset the PCM for a CAI, but it doesnt hurt anything if you do.

Originally Posted By: rengnath
Well it looks like for an intake Im going to try the Airaid Modular Intake Tube. Its within the budget and it looks like it will take away alot of restriction. I plan on having the intake, programmer, and exhuast on my truck by the middle of March. Now for the intake do I need to reset my PCM? What process do I want to take for this? Do I want to reset the PCM, install the intake tube, drive it around for a while and then use the power programmer?
I will have the intake and power programmer first, and I wont have a chance to install the exhuast till March 6th. Im going to pick up the intake this week, the programmer the next week, and finally the exhaust after that. How should I go about installing all of this? Should I wait till after the exhaust to program the truck?

The K+N filter was kindavuh waste.
An underdrive crankshaft pulley frees up HP . This is felt more with smaller cars and engines.
A chip or tuning is going to help a lot. Not cheap, but unless you car is already a high performance factory vehicle, they help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back