Toyota Traded Quality for Quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My bet if Ford will come out stronger too. My parents are looking for a new car, Toyota is no longer on their list. It moved from #1 to off the list. I would venture to say a lot of people, especially older people are thinking along the same lines. JMO

Not just older drivers concerned...I have teens driving my Toyotas. Now that his huge safety issue as well as the 30% cheap out cost reduction memo has come to pass in the last 6 months...Toyota is not off my list but now at the bottom. Ford is at the top, Honda #2.
Tough [censored] for Toyota but who wants to buy a car that could kill one of your kids? I have no doubt about my ability to handle an unintended acceleration...but my 16 year old?

Sorry.

We're on the same page! Let me put what I was saying in different terms.

Older people seem to care more about these things and are less forgiving when a company screws up. My parents will not even consider a Toyota, not now, and probably not ever. Before this mess it was my moms #1 pick. My father and I were against Toyota from the beginning. I would like to see them in a Ford. Younger people forget faster and are more forgiving, at least IMO.

As far as a being concerned if I had a kid driving a Toyota in question, I wouldn't allow him/her to drive it until I was certain the problem was resolved. As far as my kid buying one, no way! But I never liked them anyway.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
demarpaint said:
Now that his huge safety issue as well as the 30% cheap out cost reduction memo has come to pass in the last 6 months.

The requested cost reduction from suppliers was reported in the auto press; it wasn't some secret memo that was uncoverd. The noteworthy thing is, it was done several years after most other automakers made similar demands from their suppliers.

For years, the Japanese manufacturers had much better relationships with their suppliers, becasue sales were strong. Conversely, domestic purchasing departments (and Nissan, which is basically a French company under Ghosn) continually tried to slash/cut their way to profitability.

That's why so many suppliers have gone out of business over the past decade or so.

But in the later part of Watanabe's tenure, he, too demanded such cuts from suppliers.

So if you want to buy a car from a carmaker that hasn't made similar requests of their suppliers...you won't find it.

Last edited:
This happened on Sunday here in Louisville....

By Jon Chrisos – bio | email
Posted by Alane Paulley - email

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A Louisville man remained hospitalized in intensive care Sunday after crashing his 2010 Toyota Camry - and the model he was driving is among those included in Toyota's most recent recall.

Toyota's major recall involved eight of its most popular models, and although the automaker says it has a fix for what it calls "sticking accelerator" pedals, it looks like it will come too late for a Louisville man who crashed Jan. 29 in a recalled Camry.

Paula Allen says her husband, Todd, was pulling into a parking spot off Blue Lick and Preston in Okolona Saturday night when suddenly, for no reason at all, the car took off at a high speed. Paula says her husband tried to brake with both feet, but the car wouldn't stop.

The 2010 Camry is one of the eight models that Toyota recalled less than two weeks ago because a defective gas pedal could cause unintended acceleration. Toyota says the problem is rare but hasn't released any numbers about how often it's happened.

Rescue crews were able to get all four men out of the Camry and to University Hospital. At last check, Todd Allen was in intensive care with a possible spinal cord injury and no feeling in his legs. The Allens say they didn't even know about the recall until a nurse told them about it Saturday night.

We also checked with LMPD and officials confirmed the crash happened but a report won't be available for at least another day.

Our call to Toyota for reaction wasn't immediately returned.

Copyright 2010 WAVE-TV. All Rights Reserved.

1 vote

You must be logged in to rate this story. Login or register
If you go to wave tv website they have a vidio...

My brother got 3 of the GM $1,000 coupons for the exploding gas tanks on the GM pickup trucks. They never did recall them just gave all the owners $1,000. They did redesign the tanks but several thousand people died from that defect.

Several thousand? Oh really.......

There were not several thousand pickup truck gas tank deaths. Heck, the only explosions we ever saw were the rigged one's on TV!

They did redesign the tanks but several thousand people died from that defect.

lol.gif
Too rediculous.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
There were not several thousand pickup truck gas tank deaths. Heck, the only explosions we ever saw were the rigged one's on TV!

And by good rights GM should have owned the Network in question.

Guess I don't have to worry cause my vin number starts with J. Glad it was built in japan I have not had any issues with this problem

Johnny, as I look at it, the steel plate precludes heavy engagement of the teeth shown in the picture. They suggest the root cause of the problem is high friction with the teeth engagement. When the teeth don't disengage, it results in a stuck pedal and runaway acceleration.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
What is the purpose of the teeth engagement?

The purpose of the gear engagement is to provide some resistance and a "proper feel" to the gas pedal. This makes holding the gas pedal in a fixed position easier and more comfortable on long trips.

Originally Posted By: c502cid

Several thousand? Oh really.......

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Originally Posted By: Kestas
They did redesign the tanks but several thousand people died from that defect.

lol.gif
Too rediculous.

You guys aren't referring to the same thing that the Ivey Memo was about. You're thinking of the more recent truck saddle tank issue, which was a hoax.

Google "Ivey Memo GM" or click this link for a summary:
http://www.safetyforum.com/gmft/
For 27 years, GM estimated that 300 - 500 people died in vehicle crashes involving fuel tanks/fires in their cars. And they calculated that it was cheaper to pay off the lawsuits than fixing the design issue at hand. Do the math.

This is all well-documented, and changed the landscape for product liability lawsuits in this country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Durango
Please forgive me but it's hard for me to fathom all those people who got hurt over a metal plate/shim. This world is a real bummer.:-(

It's even harder to fathom that maybe all that was required to prevent someone from being hurt was to stick a toe under it or reach down and pull up on the pedal. Things happen quickly though when you are at the wheel!

Originally Posted By: robbobster
You guys aren't referring to the same thing that the Ivey Memo was about. You're thinking of the more recent truck saddle tank issue, which was a hoax.

Google "Ivey Memo GM" or click this link for a summary:
http://www.safetyforum.com/gmft/
For 27 years, GM estimated that 300 - 500 people died in vehicle crashes involving fuel tanks/fires in their cars. And they calculated that it was cheaper to pay off the lawsuits than fixing the design issue at hand. Do the math.

This is all well-documented, and changed the landscape for product liability lawsuits in this country.

I was referring to what PT1 was spewing internet nonsense about, the GM fuel tank issue.

Originally Posted By: 7TFord
Originally Posted By: Durango
Please forgive me but it's hard for me to fathom all those people who got hurt over a metal plate/shim. This world is a real bummer.:-(

It's even harder to fathom that maybe all that was required to prevent someone from being hurt was to stick a toe under it or reach down and pull up on the pedal. Things happen quickly though when you are at the wheel!

Most accidents happened with different pedal design (denso). CTS pedal recall is not connected with the bulk of the sudden acceleration accidents.

People, why it is so hard to understand. The problem is most likely in the software. Go to toyota owners forums and read what really happens.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24750

Originally Posted By: c502cid
I was referring to what PT1 was spewing internet nonsense about, the GM fuel tank issue.

You mean this:

The side saddle fuel tank design installed in over 10 million trucks
- all 1973-87 General Motors full-size pickups and cab-chassis trucks
(pickups without beds) and some 1988-91 dual cab or RV chassis - is the
worst auto crash fire defect in the history of the U.S. Department of
Transportation. Based on data from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System
(formerly known as the Fatal Accident Reporting System), over 1,800 people
were killed in fire crashes involving these trucks from 1973 through 2000.
(Attachment A is a list of fatal C/K fire crashes
by state since 1993.) This is more than twenty times as many fatalities
as in the infamous Ford Pinto. Despite a voluntary recall request from
the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in April 1993
(Attachment B) and an initial defect determination
by Transportation Secretary Federico Pena in October 1994 (Attachment
C), GM stubbornly refused to initiate a recall.

Like Ford and Chrysler, GM made pickups with gas tanks inside the cab in
the 1960's. Because of concerns about the safety of placing the gas tank
inside the passenger cab, the Big Three auto makers all considered relocating
the tank outside the passenger compartment in the early 1970's. Chrysler
engineers specifically rejected placing the tank outside the frame because
of safety concerns saying, "A frame mounted fuel tank mounted anywhere outside
the frame rails would be in a very questionable area due to the new Federal
Standards requiring 15 MPH side impacts for all vehicles. . . . Any side
impact would automatically encroach on this area and the probability of
tank leakage would be extremely high." (Attachment D.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back