Lowest temperature for 10W30 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Have a fill of Shell 10W30 dino. Over the last week we have had a few days here where the temperature is about 0 Fahrenheit (-17 celcius).

Is it safe to continue use of 10W30? I normally switch to 5W30 in the winter, but have been traveling. Car starts up a bit slow. But nothing too unusual. I usually warm up for 2 min then drive.

Thanks

I went through some ghastly winters in 77-78 with 10w-30. Like 20-30 f below. I would never go back to it, but you should be OK.

Depends on the battery....

Seriously, I'd be most worried about needing a jump. There's lots of theoretical whatever about slow flow at startup, and there's probably some truth to it, but plenty of vehicles running 15w-40 even at those temps with no significantly increased wear.

Now start the timer until someone from somewhere with one day a year below freezing starts talking about block heaters.....

Yes it's safe, but why bother with such an "old school" grade.
5W-30 dino is perfectly fine in the summer for normal OCI's.

But heck, a 5W-30 syn is so superior in our Canadian winters and can be had on sale for not much more than dino, it's quite frankly false economy not to use it.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Am I supposed to be impressed? I'm not.

+1
Pour points under -50C is where it's at!

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Formula Shell 10W-30 has a pour point of -33C!

we use this for our bulk oil, even down in south florida winters, we notice a big difference in its flow out of containers and from pumps on drums even in 50 degree temp range.....

I would much rather use a 5w-30 oil year round then 10w-30 anymore.....

Hi,
snuffy300 - Typically engine Manufacturers specify 10W-30 lubricants down to around -15F and 5W-30 lubricants to around -22F. These are continuous temps so spasmodically below a little won't be an issue. As others have alluded to though it may "test" the battery and starter a bit!

The OP is talking about 10w30 dino. I can't imagine a non-syn 10w30 turning over at -40 whether it is C or F!

We had 10w30 in our Grand Prix. Started just fine at -22F, only had a few moments of some chatter, but most of these motors do that when cold and worn in anyways.

Using Mystik 10w30 JT8 Semi Syn and a Full filter. Battery is a new AC Delco though.

It's been down near 0 or 10 degrees here every night for the last month and I use 10-30 dino. It's fine.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
0F/-18.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back