Fram tough guard or Wix air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wonder what you guys think.

Wix is known for quality all around, yet the lightly oiled media of the tough guard is appealing.

and my car does see more dust than the average.. gravel roads and whatnot.

Last edited:
As bad a rap as FRAM takes, most will agree they make excellent air filters. I've always had good luck with FRAM air filters. Saying that, I have WIX in one of my cars now.

I was a Texan4Life for 40-years, then I lost my brains and moved to WI 20-years ago.
welcome2.gif
to BITO

I've recently used both in my Civic. The Fram is definitely well-made and I didn't have a problem using it. I don't do UOA's on this car so I don't really know how great the filtration is on either.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Just wonder what you guys think.

Wix is known for quality all around, yet the lightly oiled media of the tough guard is appealing.

and my car does see more dust than the average.. gravel roads and whatnot.

First of all
welcome2.gif

Answer to the question is depends on the app.

Read this thread on my concerns of WIX air filters for my Toyota Corolla with photos. --> Not impressed with WIX Air Filters

I've used quite a few Fram Air Filters with excellent results over the years. UOAs come back with single digit SI so they work well.

And I live in a VERY dusty area.

Take care, Bill

I use Fram on my Saturn ever since I had a 1" hole in my Napa Gold (Wix) air filter in 7,000 miles. Now, with 70,000 miles using Fram no problems.

thx guys gonna go with the fram TG but will probably order a wix to see what I think about it.

I just bought a WIX filter for my 2003 Sienna with the 1MZ-FE engine.
WIX # 46017
It does have a soft gasket all the way around.....for top and bottom sealing.

I have also used FRAM air filters in the past and been very happy with them.

Sorry, could not resist getting Gus in the picture.

2461973110011220610ehmavC

well the wix came in tonight (dumb fedex) anyway thought you guys would enjoy some side by side pics

both seem good quality and both have nice soft flexible gaskets.

wix, made in Mexico, has 92 pleats
fram TG, made in Canada, has 74 pleats

2ia63ad.jpg

rwjk7a.jpg

2s9up3d.jpg

10g0cqs.jpg

I have used Wix air filter's very well built so many pleats compared to other manufactures I have wondered if they are to restrictive, the Fram panel air filter's are well built, the Fram radial air filters are not, this year I am going to try the Fram Tough Guard CA3901, I do have concerns over reading post that the oil coating can effect sensors but I will take the chance.

Originally Posted By: Toto
I have used Wix air filter's very well built so many pleats compared to other manufactures I have wondered if they are to restrictive, the Fram panel air filter's are well built, the Fram radial air filters are not, this year I am going to try the Fram Tough Guard CA3901, I do have concerns over reading post that the oil coating can effect sensors but I will take the chance.

First of all
welcome2.gif

The oiled Fram that I put in my Mom's truck looked like only one side of it was oiled. I doubt you have ANYTHING to worry about. Its a good filter.

Her SI in the UOAS have been single digits every time with it.

Bill

Bill so is the oiling of filters marketing Kool-aid for you? why the need for oiled filters? standard filters are not oiled and they work fine up till FRAM and Purolator came out with them?

i have used both WIX and oiled FRAMS both seen like quality filters to me.

Originally Posted By: daman
Bill so is the oiling of filters marketing Kool-aid for you? why the need for oiled filters? standard filters are not oiled and they work fine up till FRAM and Purolator came out with them?

Agreed.

Reason for the oiled Fram that I bought for her truck? They were on close out at Wal-Mart. $7 for a filter than normally costs $10 for the regular one was what I bought.

The oil prob does work a LITTLE better than the normal ones in very dusty use but will load up quicker.

Personally, I don't use them and never have a problem. And the oiled Frams are built to the same as their normal filters.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: daman

Agreed.

Reason for the oiled Fram that I bought for her truck? They were on close out at Wal-Mart. $7 for a filter than normally costs $10 for the regular one was what I bought.

The oil prob does work a LITTLE better than the normal ones in very dusty use but will load up quicker.

Personally, I don't use them and never have a problem. And the oiled Frams are built to the same as their normal filters.

Bill

i have the oiled FRAM in one of mine now,i guess it kinda makes sense that yea a oiled media would trap more particles but with out some sort of testing between the two we'll never know,it was the only one on hand for my app the day i needed it, i think i payed $9 for it.

Was checking out purolator's web site (when is works.. whats up with that??)

and noticed they had pure one air filters.

Any use a p1 air filter? where are they made?

Normally i'm a wix guy, but might be jumping on the p1 oil filter band wagon. (we'll see, got some p1's on the way)

Fram air filter produced single digit Si in my UOA, down from 17-19 using the OEM filter, and a heck of a lot cheaper than OEM. I'll continue to use them until something less expensive comes along that works as well. Both I've used have sealed very well.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Fram air filter produced single digit Si in my UOA, down from 17-19 using the OEM filter, and a heck of a lot cheaper than OEM. I'll continue to use them until something less expensive comes along that works as well. Both I've used have sealed very well.

You use FRAM in the Subaru? Nice UOA results. I would have guessed the OEM did better. I like the way the OEM has the rigid plastic-reinforced body and silicone gasket to seal it. I wonder if there is any meaningful decline in airflow with the FRAM?

I was checking out the FRAM filter for my 2008 Subaru Forester... I looked at three different ones and all of them had furball-like globs of the filter material fall out as I pulled the filters out of the box. That kind of turned me off.

I stopped using K&N air filters a few yrs ago mainly due to things I read and tests I saw done on various sites including BITOG! Only use Wix or Motorcraft now in my daily drivers. Note: I do run K&N in my classic muscle car but that sees 400mis per yr max and is conical open type for max flow/power!

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Was checking out purolator's web site (when is works.. whats up with that??)

and noticed they had pure one air filters.

Any use a p1 air filter? where are they made?

Normally i'm a wix guy, but might be jumping on the p1 oil filter band wagon. (we'll see, got some p1's on the way)

From what I gather, the Purolator P1 is compatible to the Fram Tough Guard. Both have oiled paper elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back