how to quiet Civic engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
offtopic.gif
Why do some manuals for certain engines show hot valve lash higher?

My Matrix with the 1.8L 1ZZFE is one chattery machine also...ESPECIALLY on synths..I have Pennz Plat in there now and it is noticeably louder than when I have Chevron 5W30 in there.

Especially when revving the engine or speeding up..sounds like a card in the spokes of a bike tire....not sure if that is valve train or injectors but it is a noisy and unpleasant sounding thing.

I added 4oz of VSOT to my Pennz Plat and it did zero for noise
dunno.gif

Back to Havoline and Chevron for the rest of this car's life

Goose
patriot.gif

quote:

Why do some manuals for certain engines show hot valve lash higher?

That's a good question!

Crane Cams says that when dealing with an Iron Block/Iron Head pushrod engines, the hot lash should be less.

For Aluminum or Aluminum/Iron combinations with pushrod engines, hot lash should be greater.

Here is the link:

Crane Cams on Valve Lash

I thought I was correct in stating that valve lash closes as the engine warms but evidently the expansion of head/block has to be factored in. Also, we are talking about direct valve actuation (not pushrods as on the Crane website).

Comments, anyone?

My wife has a 1998 Civic with 135,000 miles.

It is normal for a Honda engine to be slightly noisy both cold and when they are fully warmed up, even when you adjust the valves.

I think it's just the nature of a non hydraulic valvetrain. My Toyota with shim over bucket valve design is quiet upon startup, but when I exit the interstate after traveling 50 miles at 80 mph, it's pretty noisy.

KBK...of course it quiets better it way thicker than what you need. Complete overkill on a motr than can go 7,000 and up on dino.

my sister's 05 Civic EX is running Chevron Supreme 5w-30 with Wix Filter and is so quiet that sometimes when starting it up, I dont even know if the engine is running.

I got 2004 Civic VP. I tried M1 5W-20 with VSOT. It did quiet noises a lot. Now I am using GC 0W-30 and I haven't added any additive into the oil. It performs the job greatly. No loud noise... even when cold start, I would say it quiets better than 5W-20 + VSOT.

2004 Civic VP 1.7L I-4 26900 mi.
Nippon Filter/Wix Filter/Bosch
GC 0W-30/M1 5W-20
Aggressive delivery driver.
Will report if my engine breaks.

P.S. One of a driver at the restaurant use the 2002 Civic LX, his engine is noisier but he didn't care about the noise that much. He uses dino 5W-20(Proline.) He let the auto repair next to the restaurant changed it. So far so OK! just noisier. His mileage is approaching 92K..

Someone posted a copy of oil recommendations from Honda in the closed 5W20 thread; 10W30 seems typical but you could also try the 5W40 'Gold' oil.

my 93 civic 1.5L engine got quieter using Amsoil 0W-30, I don't know why, it just did. It was noticibly noisier using M1 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back