Best type of do-it-all grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aluminum complex vs. calcium sulfonate

I know both are great thickeners and best for water wash out and "staying put" characteristics etc,etc,but does one have an edge on the other or about the same??

Originally Posted By: Johnny
All depends on the grease manufacture you talk to. I personally prefer calcium sulfonate.

thanks johnny can i ask why???

Not sure I can give you a good reason. I had always used lithium complex greases until one of the chemist at Pennzoil told me I should be using calcium sulfonate greases if I wanted it to last. I believe he talked about the water protection, pound out something or another, and the list went on. This was back in 1986 and I have been using it since then, and have never had a problem with it. So I figured why switch. I did try some aluminum complex a few years back and could not tell any real difference.

right thats what i thought too there about the same,but wanted to know if i was missing something about the two,my grease of choice laity is aluminum complex but i see there's others out there that use calcium sulfonate.

thanks J....
cheers3.gif

anyone else add anything????

daman, well, I screwed that all up. I just went and looked up some old notes from the past 20 years. The grease I am using is a lithium complex grease. According to my notes, depending on the type of base stock and the additive package in the grease, it can withstand very high temps, water, and pounding. Just depends on the formulation. Looks like (according to my old handwriting) one of the good things about it is that it is compatiable with "almost" all other based grease with a few exceptions, like clay based grease.

So, lithium complex is my grease of choice. And this is the grease I use, the #3752.

http://www.le-inc.com/products/documents/3750-3752_tdb.pdf

Ahh ok no problem....

yea what i use it for i need it to be Moly fortified aluminum complex or calcium sulfonate for maximun water wash out and the extra tackifiers to keep it in place longer.

been sold on #238 for a wile now great grease for my application still wish i knew if one had a edge over the other,things like this bug me,
lol.gif

Well, I don't know much about grease but I started greasing my truck not that long ago. Before that, the dealer supposedly did it.

My truck has been making a squeaking noise (like chirping and yes, I did check for birds). After some advice here I got a Lincoln 1134 model and some Valvoline SynPower moly grease at AZ. Spent some time greasing all the fittings and now I get no more chirps. Go figure. Should have been doing it myself all along, but I'm like alot of other people. If someone doesn't show me or explain it to me, how am I to know what to do?

I know Johnny and a few others gave me some advice and I ran with it. I can't say how much that helps people such as myself.

We always used King Oil Weatherproof grease (Calciul Sulfonate) on all of our vehicles and equipment. The moisture resistance of c/s grease can be easily demonstrated. Apply a thin layer of c/s grease to a freshly sanded or ground piece of steel and allow it to remain outdoors in rain for a few days. Do the same with any other base grease and compare the results. Calcium sulfonate will resist red or black rusting far better than ordinary greases. It also carries a high Timken load and very high 4-ball load and 4-ball wear test results. King oil is located in Hagerstown, Md. 800-552-7432.

Originally Posted By: jdean
We always used King Oil Weatherproof grease (Calciul Sulfonate) on all of our vehicles and equipment. The moisture resistance of c/s grease can be easily demonstrated. Apply a thin layer of c/s grease to a freshly sanded or ground piece of steel and allow it to remain outdoors in rain for a few days. Do the same with any other base grease and compare the results. Calcium sulfonate will resist red or black rusting far better than ordinary greases. It also carries a high Timken load and very high 4-ball load and 4-ball wear test results. King oil is located in Hagerstown, Md. 800-552-7432.

Right...but all that is true with Alum complex also,does one have a edge over the other? the quest continues.......

I will have to try the steel wool test with the grease I use. Sounds like a grease salesman's test. We have plenty of moisture/salt air around here this time of year.

Another good "scientific" test is to put some in the palm of your hand, add water, and smear it around.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I will have to try the steel wool test with the grease I use. Sounds like a grease salesman's test. We have plenty of moisture/salt air around here this time of year.

do it J and post back,

Johnny a salesan demonstrated that test to us about 8 or 9 years ago. In our industry we are looking to protect our equipment against the corrosion in harsh, corrosive enviroments ( salt water and very high acidic water). We presently have very little problem with corrosion or water wash out. We also noticed that our grease usage has decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back