my HD experience ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't ridden ANY of the newer Trumpets.
Too bloody tempting.
20.gif

I bought a 1980 Honda CX500 Deluxe last august, my first bike and I was 52 years old, I rode bikes many many years before though, working on the Honda was abreeze, the parts were available on Ebay very affordably, I racked up some local mileage on that sweet bike and gained confidence.

I work just down the street from a Harley shop, unfortunately they wanted a substantial down payment, I'm a terrible impulsive buyer so I went to a Yamaha shop, almost bought the Raider and I still kinda regret not buying it but instead picked up a more conservative new 1300 Tourer.

Yamaha had a zero down sale with a LOW percentage rate, I qualified and took possession of that 1300 Tourer, my first new big bike, so far I have only 43 miles on it but this winter i was unexpectedly laid off,I had the foresight to save up 4 months of payments ahead of time, I suspect if i had bought the Harley I would have had to default, I suspect with the economy many are right now.

So I am feeling good I bought the more affordable Yamaha, and possibly as soon as spring 2011 I am planning on buying another, I have my eye on the FJR1300 as it seems to offer the best value for a sport tourer. What I do need to do is take a road trip into Anchorage and check out the new Triumphs I get good vibes looking at them.

Silverado6x6: Is Sarah Palin your neighbor? Can you see Russia from your house?
lol.gif

Joking about Wasilla. It must be a decent sized city to have a Yammie and HD dealer.
Can you ride there during the winter, or is it too snowy and icy?

It would appear that HD have reigned in their self financed loans department. That's where they've lost a great deal of money over the last couple of years. They made too many loans that went into default. I read that they had to borrow 600 million to stay afloat. There's a lot of smoking deals on slightly used Harleys. The market is flooded with Harleys right now in lower 49.

Originally Posted By: Silverado6x6
I bought a 1980 Honda CX500 Deluxe last august, my first bike and I was 52 years old, I rode bikes many many years before though, working on the Honda was abreeze, the parts were available on Ebay very affordably, I racked up some local mileage on that sweet bike and gained confidence.

I work just down the street from a Harley shop, unfortunately they wanted a substantial down payment, I'm a terrible impulsive buyer so I went to a Yamaha shop, almost bought the Raider and I still kinda regret not buying it but instead picked up a more conservative new 1300 Tourer.

Yamaha had a zero down sale with a LOW percentage rate, I qualified and took possession of that 1300 Tourer, my first new big bike, so far I have only 43 miles on it but this winter i was unexpectedly laid off,I had the foresight to save up 4 months of payments ahead of time, I suspect if i had bought the Harley I would have had to default, I suspect with the economy many are right now.

So I am feeling good I bought the more affordable Yamaha, and possibly as soon as spring 2011 I am planning on buying another, I have my eye on the FJR1300 as it seems to offer the best value for a sport tourer. What I do need to do is take a road trip into Anchorage and check out the new Triumphs I get good vibes looking at them.

Are you sure you are ready for an FJR? Just getting back into motorcycling and already you want to buy one of the most powerful Sport-touring bikes available? Give yourself a fighting chance and stick with the Raider for a few years longer.

Things happen VERY quickly on an FJR, believe me! I own a Kawasaki Concours 14 and I get a little spooked by it occasionally and I have been riding continuously for over 30 years. Go into a corner a little hot, and you'll see (maybe, if you live to remember it.)

On bikes that powerful, "death" is gently whispering in your ear, ignore it at your peril....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back