Recommendation for 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram with the 5.7. The truck does not have MDS but 5w20 oil is recommended. I think this recommendation is due to CAFE pressures and I was planning on running a 5w30 oil. Here in Canada a lot of synthetic oils are overpriced and so I am leaning towards conventional oils. There are 120,000 km on the truck and it is in very good condition. What do you guys think?

5w30 or 20 will be fine. I like Pennzoil regular oil. Any major player brand of motor oil will work fine. You will need roughly 7.25-7.5 qts of oil for that bad boy though.

The 5.4L in my F150 likes good 'ol Quaker State. I also had a run of NAPA 5W20 that towed my Jeep and trailer across the USA. She did fine.

Originally Posted By: gricker27
I recently purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram with the 5.7. The truck does not have MDS but 5w20 oil is recommended. I think this recommendation is due to CAFE pressures and I was planning on running a 5w30 oil. Here in Canada a lot of synthetic oils are overpriced and so I am leaning towards conventional oils. There are 120,000 km on the truck and it is in very good condition. What do you guys think?

Just out of curiosity, can you give some examples of dino and synthetic prices in Canada?

Originally Posted By: gricker27

5W-30 will be fine. Yes, your 05 was spec'd for 5W-20 simply for CAFE.

Chrysler has been all over the map with it's oil weight recommendations even though the darn motor hasn't changed( 03-08 )other than MDS. They spec'd 5W-30 for non MDS HD applications right through 2008 except for 06 when it was 5W-20 for all. Just no consistancy out of them. Bottom line is 5W-30 in your 05 non MDS HEMI is not a problem.

Just a note for you on synthetics vs dino. The 5.7L HEMI is notorious for what is called the HEMI TICK. Sort of a valvetrain clatter. It is noticeably louder on conventional oil vs synthetics. Although not all have the tick most do. The loudness varies. IF yours has it and is loud a 5W-30 or 5W-20 synthetic will help to quiet it. I have found Royal Purple to make it the quietest( this from personal experience as well as comments from others on Dodge forums vs other brands ).

Regular prices for most synthetics (Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum etc) are $40 plus for a 4.4L jug, with Mobil 1 being even higher.
There is very little Hemi tick when running the truck right now and I believe there is currently dino in it.
I purchased some Pennzoil yb and plan to do an oil change this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back