I found another LL coolant w/o 2 EHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
but is it really worth the hassle of multiple coolant flushes and changes? most of those OE genuines are 50,000 mile minimum, and the new ones are up to 150,000 miles. and when I've called around, it's always $20 or less for the concentrate. so I guess the question is, is it worth the $8 for the peace of mind? I'd say let those automotive engineers figure this out, buy a lifetime coolant, and never have to worry about it again...

No, I agree it's not the same company as your link. But Coast line Chemical Inc. is also referred to as CCI, Coastline Chemical Inc.. It's just an ironic coincidence.
Quote:
but is it really worth the hassle of multiple coolant flushes and changes? most of those OE genuines are 50,000 mile minimum, and the new ones are up to 150,000 miles. and when I've called around, it's always $20 or less for the concentrate. so I guess the question is, is it worth the $8 for the peace of mind? I'd say let those automotive engineers figure this out, buy a lifetime coolant, and never have to worry about it again...

You see though many auto manufacturers recommend 2-3yr/30k subsequent intervals no matter the coolant, even OE proprietary, including Nissan green, and Toyota red is meant for that interval. So with that interval for me Peace Of Mind with the readily available full strength universals is not an issue.

I don't consider 2-3 yrs to be unrealisic or excessive flushing. I sure wouldn't try to run dexcool in a GM, or other car, for the recommended 5yr/150k.

But again, everyone should use what they are comfortable with. If dealer propriety give you Peace Of Mind, and price no factor, and you can get full strength, then that is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
So with that interval for me Peace Of Mind with the readily available full strength universals is not an issue.

Universals != "peace of mind" for me. In fact most of them give quite the opposite. They claim to be compatible with everything, but to me they're just right for nothing.

G-05, chemically speaking, seems like the most universal thing out there to me, with 2-EHA free P-HOATs running a close second. I'm with Mechanicx- silicates don't hurt ANYTHING and protect lots of things at the concentrations they're found in G-05 (or even modern conventional IAT coolants for that matter). You want to talk about "demonized" coolant additives- nothing has been more unfairly demonized than silicates.

I agree 440Magnum. The only thing is I would put the Asian P-OAT a close second or maybe even first to Dexcool and 2-EHA for being in compatible with most applications. Turns out Asian formula contains the other half of the ingredients in original Dexcool, the plasticizer sebacate because the other part 2-EHA can gum up from air. And they just tossed in some phopsphates because the sebacate alone could cut it for cavitation erosion and so you can't mix it with anything but soft water for good measure. Then they claim this FF phosphate coolant can last twice as long as what Dexcool was recommended for..sure
wink.gif

Look on a bottle of Zerex Dexcool and it recommends Zerex G-05 for Asian vehicles. I think that sounds about right to me lol.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
So with that interval for me Peace Of Mind with the readily available full strength universals is not an issue.

Universals != "peace of mind" for me. In fact most of them give quite the opposite. They claim to be compatible with everything, but to me they're just right for nothing.
They give quite the opposite for you. For me in my Asians they've worked just fine for over 5years. G-05 is not recommended for any Asains by the manufacturer. Has silicates, which the Asians don't recommend, nor does it come as OE.

I've used universals on 2 different Asain vehicles with no issues. And since other Asain OE's use some kind of plasticizer anyway along with no silicates, the unversals don't seem too far off with or without 2eha.

When the Asians start recommending G-05 then I'll use it, until then with regular maintenance, I've got peace of mind.

If G-05 works for you, then thats what you should use.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

They give quite the opposite for you. For me in my Asians they've worked just fine for over 5years. G-05 is not recommended for any Asains by the manufacturer. Has silicates, which the Asians don't recommend, nor does it come as OE.

Yeah but the same thing could be said that Dexcool is not OE Asians recommended and actually 2-EHA is not recommended and phosphates are. If you are going to disregard those recommendations then what is the big deal with someone disreagarding the no silicate recommendation when plenty of asian cars have been serviced with silicated green? Also you are disregarding the gumming problems and other documented problems Dexcool had vs. basically none that G-05 apparently has had.

I'm not going to question that Dexcool has worked for you in some Japanese vehicles, but I'd just say to really know if something is truely working takes a lot of testing. The gumming can show up whenever there is a leak and the gasket degradation is a slow process that might not show up obviously until 60K miles or so and with UOA. But I'll concede that in later model asians gasket incompatiblility might not be likely, since Asians use a plasticizer too.

Quote:
I've used universals on 2 different Asain vehicles with no issues. And since other Asain OE's use some kind of plasticizer anyway along with no silicates, the unversals don't seem too far off with or without 2eha.

I pretty much have to agree with that since Asians are using sebacate apparently. Which is one of the OATs in original Dexcool (Chevron/Texaco at least) and a plasticizer. The only thing I differ with here is again by using Dexcool one is disregarding the recommendations anyway. And the no silicate and no borate recommendation has been ignored for years in servicing Asians without any real issues. Silicates can help protect gaskets, especially silicone gasket which dexcool is not compatible with. Peak Global is probably a little more closer to asian formula than Dexcool.

Quote:
[When the Asians start recommending G-05 then I'll use it, until then with regular maintenance, I've got peace of mind.

Dexcool isn't recommended either though. I guess some people get more peace of mind from avoiding plasiticizer than avoiding silicants and vice versa. The fact is even if a gasket is "compatible" with OATs that doesn't mean it doesn't suffer more degradation than it would with a none plasticizing inhibitor.

Anyway, I'm not trying to change your mind specifically. I'm just talking in general terms. I actually think Dexcool isn't that bad if certain design issue are taken into account. OAT's are the way of the future, but not necesarily 2-EHA, or for use in earlier model vehicles.

As you said yourself, Zerex recommended Dexcool for the Asians, it's likely still in their chart. Though you refer to anything with 2eha as dexcool, I've never used 'GM specd dexcool' in my Asian vehicles, just dexclone silicate free universals.

So, you've now reached the conclusion that G-05 containing silicate is best universal because it doesn't contain 2eha or any of the other plasticizers the Asians use. That's cool, like I said I'd use it if it was specd for a vehicle of mine.

I'm satsified with the readily available silicate free universals, 2eha or other are OK for Asians with regular maintenance. I'll keep looking for the 2eha free full strength, but until then the silicate vs plasticizer seems to be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, to me.

If someone would come out with a readily available full strength universal asian formula for a reasonable price, then this discussion would be moot.

But, then we'd have to find something else to debate about coolant.
23.gif

Back to the topic though, this Pride full strength doesn't look bad if one can find it.

All of the licensed Dexcool and Dexclones contain 2EHA. Prestone freely prints that on the bottle. Peak admits LL/EL has 2EHA. Zerex Dexcool has 2EHA. There's no real difference in formula between a given brand's Dexcool and Dexclone, except the Dexcool licenses assures the formula is meeting the intended performance. They all contain 2EHA that's why I use the term Dexcool, dexclones and 2eha interchangebly because they are.

My opinion is if you are going to use a dexclone universal, then might as well get the licensed version just in case.

I haven't concluded that G-05 is the best universal, maybe Green is. I don't believe in universal coolants. Just that if you have an earlier model GM or Asian and perhaps some European models then you have somewhat of a cooling dilemma which you agree with.

Like I said this is not a personal debate with you specifically. I'm just talking in general terms about coolant for various vehicles not just asian ones. Dexcool and clones are no more spec coolant for asian than green or G-05 is.

Personally I think Japanese cars probably are mostly compatible with Dexcool. they've been using an OAT or HOAT since about '86 with benzoate, so they probably have gaskets and seals that work with OATs. The thing is every OAT is different in seal compatibilty so only the OE coolant is ideal.

I can find Peak Global and Asian Formula at NAPA. But if it was my Japanese car I would just get the OE premix even. The block drains are easy and theres no need to flush. Dexcools all can gum up. So I can't really get why anyone who has a NAPA or other sources would use a universal Dexclone or G-05 in a Japanese car. If consumers would demand Peak Global and Asian Formula instead of dumping whatever cheap universal in their car dexclones wouldn't be the only coolant on the shelves.

To each their own. Again though, Napa's here doesn't carry any PGL at all and like Zerex Asian, (do they really make it? lol) only PGL premix in small amounts at Walgreens some KM. Thanks, but no thanks.

Reasonably priced, readily available dealer proprietary full strength only, would work. But, $31 Nissan, not me.

You could probably get NAPA to order you some PGL. The only real advantage I see with PGL over Dexcool is it probably is less likely to gum up. That's a pretty worthwhile advantage though.

I just think the Toyota Super Long Life sebacate revelation has thrown you totally off your 2eha game.

Those dang plasticizers are hard to escape.
wink.gif

I'm sorry to sound ignorant but could you explain the "TSLL sebecate revelation"?
Also, what does 'FF" stand for? Thanks

Originally Posted By: pbm
I went to NAPA looking for Peak Global full strength and they didn't have it but they told me that this product was also 2- EHA free. I called the telephone # and their tech department told me that it was a 2-EHA free formula.

http://www.prideantifreeze.com/html/pride_univ_gold_-84_antifreeze.html
Individual NAPA franchisees can carry just about whatever they choose. My local NAPA store doesn't have this brand, so evidently the Pride/Coastline product is not distributed by NAPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back