Any one know how to grease on Grand Cherokee ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just got a 1998 Grand Cherokee 2wd automatic 140k miles, I read the manual and it say grease the couple spot under the car every 3k miles, what is this mean ? how this grease work ? thanks

I'm sorry but I have to ask this question. You work for a auto parts delivery company in Dallas and you don't know what it means to grease the car/chassis components?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I'm sorry but I have to ask this question. You work for a auto parts delivery company in Dallas and you don't know what it means to grease the car/chassis components?

This is the first time I ever own a car, that require grease every other thousand miles. I seen it before in other vehicle but never pay attention because the car I own never require it, since I own this car, I into want know more about it now. BTW I been in BITOG for over 4 year with over 3k post ( My old account got a problem atm ), and never post a topic or look at this grease board before ^^
15.gif
, I dont event know it exist ^^ haha.

Originally Posted By: gtx510
iirc, on the XJ it's balljoints (upper and lower?), tierod ends, draglink, trackbar (panhard bar), and driveshafts http://jeep.us41.org/lube/index.html
wj is just the upper balljoint http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/knuckle_upper.jpg
get a grease gun or just goto an oil change place (walmart) and have them do it

That is so simple job ^^. Is their a brand that I should stick with , like mobil 1 ? valvoline ?

It appears this is his first rodeo, so if that is true, I can relate, I was 12 when I started working in my Dads store, car parts and such,,I was a duck out of water, but in time I learned a lot of stuff,,,,,,,,,,if his is the same case, i dunno?

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
It appears this is his first rodeo, so if that is true, I can relate, I was 12 when I started working in my Dads store, car parts and such,,I was a duck out of water, but in time I learned a lot of stuff,,,,,,,,,,if his is the same case, i dunno?

34.gif

Get a cartridge type grease gun that you can just pop a grease cartridge into. Get a flexible hose attachment so you can reach all the Zerk fittings on the car more easily.

The thing to remember about greases is don't mix grease base types (most greases are lithium based, but there are also aluminum base and others). Get chassis grease, not wheelbearing grease or boat trailer uber-water-resistant greases. 2-3 pumps of the grease gun is good for a small joint like a tie-rod end, 4-5 is good for balljoints. If grease starts to squirt out of the rubber boot, stop. Its OK to push a little bit out, but don't keep pumping so that the boot blows off the joint or splits.

Also, I'd recommend you check out the Jeep forums. Jeepforum.com is a good one, JeepHorizons.com is another. There are forums specifically for Grand Cherokee technical info. I think your '99 is a WJ, which is slightly different than the earlier ZJ Grand Cherokee. Both are very similar to the XJ Cherokee, just bigger.

Welcome to the car hobby!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back