2005 F150 5.4L - 5W30 oil vs 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is driving a 2005 F150 w/ a 5.4L. It has already had the spark plug change issues and the cam phasor work. He is now consuming oil - not a lot, but more than he would like. Maybe around 2 quarts in 3000 miles.

He is thinking about switching to a 5W-30 to see if that slows it down. This oil has the same API rating as the factory 5W-20.

Any advice or concerns that anyone could share?

I would definitely try using a thicker oil, especially if I lived in Texas. That consumption will prolly get worse when the hot weather comes around in summer. In fact I'd use a "thicker" 30 weight or even a 40 weight oil to see if it helped.

There are many "no smoke" products on the market that claim to stop oil burning, but I have no idea if any of them actually work as advertised.

Originally Posted By: bismic1
My son is driving a 2005 F150 w/ a 5.4L. It has already had the spark plug change issues and the cam phasor work. He is now consuming oil - not a lot, but more than he would like. Maybe around 2 quarts in 3000 miles.

He is thinking about switching to a 5W-30 to see if that slows it down. This oil has the same API rating as the factory 5W-20.

Any advice or concerns that anyone could share?

How many miles? It may be time for a high mileage oil to recondition seals.

Is this a "young/teenage" son that may be abusing the vehicle( hard driving can use more oil )?

Oil use is either leaks or burning. I would not be happy with that amount of oil use.
Leaks?
Some leaks only happen when driving/moving, and you don't realize their full magnitude.
So check this out.
Burning?
Thicker oil will help. 5-30 for sure, and maybe even go up to the excellent and cheap 'diesel' oils like Rotella in 15-40. Since you are in Texas, it won't be too thick.
Oil use can be worn or carboned up cylinders/pistons/rings, worn valve guides, or simply an inadequate PCV system. Check that PCV system out - the whole system in and out.

Quote:
How many miles? It may be time for a high mileage oil to recondition seals.

Is this a "young/teenage" son that may be abusing the vehicle( hard driving can use more oil )?

I bought it used for him at 70k miles. He has about 90k on it now. He is 24 and (finally) a responsible driver.

Last edited:
My 2005 5.4 consumes no oil noticable on the diptstick in 4-5k OCI's using Castrol Syntec 5w20. Runs great. If oil is being consumed I would wonder about the driving.

mechtech2 -

No leaks. Definitely burning it. We suspect the PCV system, but it is not just a PCV "valve", so it is more expensive to replace merely on a hunch. I have not looked into the replacement cost, but he has.

He is in Tennessee, so I advised him to try the thicker oil in a few months.

If it is pistons, rings, or valve guides, I am sure he will just live with it. As I mentioned in the post before this one - it was purchased used, so there is a chance of a hard life from the original owner.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
My 2005 5.4 consumes no oil noticable on the diptstick in 4-5k OCI's using Castrol Syntec 5w20. Runs great. If oil is being consumed I would wonder about the driving.

This would certainly be my expectation of an engine! Not an issue w/ the driving though.... but I understand the thought!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coffee
I would go with the 5w20 MaxLife and see how that works as it will probably slow down and possibly fix the leak.

+1

I would try Valvoline MaxLife 5w20 first and if oil consumption does not slow down then try MaxLife 5w30.

My brother's 07' consumes about 1qt per 5,000 like clockwork. It has since new, it doesn't matter which oil. Not sure why, but 2qt/3,000 seems like a bit much.

Way to much consumption for an '05 truck.

If it's not burning blue smoke, and isn't leaking, it's a more serious mechanical issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back