reccomended oil for supercharged mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original poster didn't mention anything about the motor or the blower. Is this a stock 03+ cobra with the roots supercharged 4v motor?

If so then you don't need something like rotella 5w40.

What did you do to it to get 500 horsepower?

If you have the tune changed, and the air fuel mixture set more rich, then you need a more robust oil and need to change it more often.

If it was stock, I think you would do just fine using whatever ford recommends.

If you have a centrifugal supercharger on there like a vortech, then the blower shares regular motor oil with the engine, and it beats up the oil in very short order.

The roots style blowers have their own self contained oil, similar to turbine oil in airplanes, and other industrial applications.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The original poster didn't mention anything about the motor or the blower. Is this a stock 03+ cobra with the roots supercharged 4v motor?

If so then you don't need something like rotella 5w40.

What did you do to it to get 500 horsepower?

If you have the tune changed, and the air fuel mixture set more rich, then you need a more robust oil and need to change it more often.

If it was stock, I think you would do just fine using whatever ford recommends.

If you have a centrifugal supercharger on there like a vortech, then the blower shares regular motor oil with the engine, and it beats up the oil in very short order.

The roots style blowers have their own self contained oil, similar to turbine oil in airplanes, and other industrial applications.

Sorry guys. It is a 99 cobra with 04 heads and a built/forged bottom end with an ported/pullied eaton roots style blower around ~2500 miles so far. The tune now is a bit rich. going to the dyno wednesday for an agressive tune on E85. I broke it in with royal purple "break in oil" for first 500 miles and then went with M1 clean 5000 10w30 for the next 2 changes (1000 and around 2500 miles) i just put GC 0w30 in as i had some in the garage. Always had good luck with M1 just searching for other/better options. Heard good stuff about the GC. Amsoil and Redline are very hard to get and I would rather stay with something I can pick up at a store. thanks for all the input thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back