2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GF has a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE 4cyl with around 156,000 miles on it.

Her dad use to do all the maintainance on it but within the last year or so I have been taking car of everything.

Ever since they bought the car they have been using nothing but Penzoil 10w30 and AC Delco Filters.

I have been thinking about running synthetic in the car but havn't done it yet.
I just recently had the trans BG flushed, and had high milage valvoline trans fluid put in.

Since I had the trans flushed with fresh fluid I am thinking about going ahead and switching to Synthetic on the next oil change.

The reg penzoil gets changed every 3,000 miles. I am planning on running PP 10w30 with 5,000 mile OCIs. I will either continue using AC Delco filters, or may use the Pure1 filters from time to time.

Any thoughts or concerns?

No know oil leaks, doesn't burn any oil, and only holds 4 quarts of oil lol.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. Except I'd probably run 5w30 instead of 10W30 through the winter at least. Does this car ahve the OLM? I know some of the '01 Grand Ams did.

Last edited:
I've been running Valvoline 5W-30 with Supertech filters in my girlfriend's since she got hers (hers is a 99 but it's the same otherwise, 4-cyl, etc.) and it does consume a quart every 1,500 miles or so. It's also starting to weep from what I believe is the valve cover gasket. We've only had it for about 6-8 months. I've changed it 3 times so far, each at 3,000 miles because we had no maintenance history. I just changed it over to 5W-30 Valvoline MaxLife to try to curb some of the consumption/leakage. Yes, that car does have an OLM/reminder light, provided it's reset when you change the oil. I think Pennzoil Platinum with an AC Delco filter at 5k sounds great as you said it's not burning/leaking anything.

Good plan! No need to run the more expensive PureOne filters from time to time.

For a 5k mile OCI, the AcDelco will perform just fine.

Last edited:
Change the Coolant! (if it has not been done in the last 3 year) there are known issues with DexCool as it ages. no need to stray ffrom pennzoil - tho no harm if you do. AC Delco filters are no longer anything special - very average.

Luckily he's got the 4cyl and not the 3400. I haven't really heard of dexcool causing problem with the headgasket or other gasket on the 4cyl. That's not to say it has caused problem with other engine model's gaskets or to not change the Dexcool. He could probably just drain and refill with dexcool.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I also recommend a 5-30 - 10-30 is an obsolete need.
And Grand Ams eat wheel bearings.

Wasn't the reason besides maybe bad quality of original units that the torque spec was way too high, and a TSB revised it? Seems like I remember it was calling for something like 254 lb-ft and it was lowered to a more normal 184 lb-ft.

Coolant was changed prly 5-10,000 miles ago.

I thought ac delco filters were good. Who is making the filters for them now?

Originally Posted By: GilroyRacing
Coolant was changed prly 5-10,000 miles ago.

I thought ac delco filters were good. Who is making the filters for them now?

They are made mostly by who did before, Champion Labs. Alot of the Delco filters are changing to E-core versions. I can't say whether they are any worse or better. I am much happier with P1 filters than I was with previous e-core filters I used to use. With the mileage you will be fine with either Pennzoil products. 5w30 yellow or platinum is all good in the hood.

GilroyRacing,

Sound like the car has been pretty much taken care well. Like the toehrs said if you want to use a synthetic then in your case I'd choose a 5W-30 of your choosing and begin to use the OLM light that you have. That way you'll be getting the most out of your oil without changing it too soon. The oil filters your using are fine but I wouldn't go farther than what the OLM light tells you to do.

I have a newly bought Impala SS and am using Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and am beginning to use my OLM to keep me informed about my next OCI. It's an electric god send. Telling me my OCI's are every 6K.

Check that coolat right away!!!!! It's way over due so don't really hesitate and get it FLUSHED WELL along/including the heater core and put in a long term anti-freeze.

Good luck,

Durango

Keep an eye on the level. You have said it doesn't use oil between changes, but that could change - the 2.4's are known to burn oil as they get up in miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back