reccomended oil for supercharged mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Ford Mustang Cobra DOHC supercharged ~500hp
2. Ford recommends a 5w20
3. I live in North Texas
4. I drive the car hard and fast usually on the street and occasionally at the track
5. This car is usually driven on SHORT trips/weekend cruises
6. No known problems with the car

Thanks!

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Go with something thicker than the 5w-20. Go up to a 5w-30. My suggestions would be Amsoil or Redline.

Do you post on dfwstangs?

yep im on most of the mustang boards. is a M1 5w30 ok?

Last edited:
We had a Roush supercharged Mustang come in months ago. It specced 5w50 as do the Shelby Mustangs I think.

my friend runs mobil 5w30 in his 03'

I would actually recommend the edge 5w30 as it is almost a 20weight.

You really cant go wrong with any of them. pennzoil plat, edge, mobil, etc.

you've got it pullied right ?
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: txstang99
Go with something thicker than the 5w-20. Go up to a 5w-30. My suggestions would be Amsoil or Redline.

Personally, after reading a lot on here I switched from the regular M1 5w30 to the EP 5w30. I've run it for 2 OCI's now and like it better. Less valvetrain noise, and in these 4.6's the valvetrain can get noisy. I'm about to switch to PP5w30 and try it out.

I post as Adrock on most of the Mustang boards. I'm in San Antonio.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
We had a Roush supercharged Mustang come in months ago. It specced 5w50 as do the Shelby Mustangs I think.

if you wanted to go that route I believe some/most advanced/discount auto parts sell Castrol Syntec 5w-50

I would try a few different kinds and see what you like, given that its run hard I might personally start in the 30 weight range.

I'd try out

castrol Syntec ow-30(german castrol)
Mobil 1 ow-40
Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT
Rotella Synthetic 5w-40
Valvoline Synpower 5w-30(I know a lot of people on here don't talk highly of it because it might not be the best oil out there, but its about 20 bucks for 5 qts if you shop around and I've used it in many different applications and it seems to work fantastic!)

lots of people also like Ammsoil, Redline, Royal Purple... I'd try any of those out on a 5w-30 or 0w-30 level, or even the 20 weight. I have never used these oils though so I can comment on them too much other then they are available

Originally Posted By: txstang99

That will work very well in your Mustang.

I had a vortech supercharged thunderbird with a 01 mustang bullitt engine in it.

The tune was rich, it would dillute the fuel pretty quick.

I would change the plugs a few times per year, and I would run Rotella 5w40 synthetic.

When I ran 5w30 mobil1, it would shear to a 20 weight very fast.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Well, Rotella won't work as he needs a 20wt

Make sure its a synthetic and change every 3000/5000 tops.

Rotella WILL work perfectly as a guy I have personally had tune my car who does tuning on mustangs across the nation,uses Rotella motor oil in mustang combinations,from stock to mild to wild combinations,rotella works in all.So just because it's not available in a 20-weight,does not mean he shouldnt consider other weights.

I would run what the manual calls for and high quality synthetic. My 2008 Shelby GT500 calls for 5w50. Its a 5.4 liter though. I have found it in Motorcraft, Roush by-->(Valvoline)and Castrol Syntec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back