Is the 5.9 Dodge a sludger? I need feedback asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hounddog
You are making it a peeing contest.Its laughable.AFTERMARKET.I was in the darn trenches everyday with a hundred plus customers a day! That "carbon'issue is what rains down and stops up the oil p'up screen.If the screen has crud the underside of the intake and valve covers do also.No the Magnum don't sludge as bad as the 2.7 but enough of a issue to be ON PAPER of known sludge engines.I didn't MAKE UP THE LIST.Others did.The V6 and BOTH V8 Magnums all do it to some extent.There isn't a 10 cents worth of difference between the 318 and 360.I have seen the innards of dozens upon dozens of these engines.I found that crud in MY valve covers when I installed the Harlan Sharp rockers.Not a lot but it was there.Mine has had BETTER then ideal maintenance.Oh by the way they are also prone to cracking heads and valve guide wear.

Whatever man. Talk about a God complex. I am glad you think working there gives you so much more experienc than I have. Keep telling yourself that.

JDD,

OK I understand ya now:). From what I read into all this sludgeing issue just get the engine nice and hot to circulate the oil well inside when ever you start the motor. Try not to do short trips.

Durango

HDog, it's kind of doubtful you saw HUNDREDS of clients a day. Hello? That really tossed your cred out the window.

To the OP - The 360 is a great engine and can easily run mega miles for you. I have Personally run dozens of mopar 318's and 360's to failure as a fleet owner, overall they are very durable and cheap to fix. I can't recall a single one that didn't go at least a 150k miles and that was on Dino.

You will need a little fuel now and then!

I have had a Durango for 12 years with the 5.9 magnum and the engine is clean. When I first got the truck I equipped it with a K&N intake filter and replaced the factory exhaust with cat back. Air in air out. If it were not for the sheer ice and a oak tree on 1/4/2010 I would still be driving her. Replacement will be a 2010 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 hemi. Thanks for the info on the hemi, I have been using amsoil but am considering an alternative due to cost. Gotta love the Dodge Truck.

318/360....40+ year old engines. Old technology, but proven. Hard to beat a small block (or big block...) Mopar. Last three oil changes have been 10w 30 Quaker State green bottle dino, red bottle Valvoline MaxLife Blend, and now Castrol Edge. Each time it used about 1/2 a quart in 3500 miles - think it probably oozed out about half of that. Full Synthetic MaxLife on deck for next month's oil change at 5,000 miles of Edge. Sure I could go longer, but why bother....I'm more worried about the filter than the oil, and with the rebate and in-store coupon, it was a $4.00 oil change.

My 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 318 Magnum has 172,000 miles with full-time 4wd and still averages 14-15mpg in Michigan [censored] weather snow. Hit 16mpg once this summer. That's not really a gas hog, and not too bad for mixed driving in a 15 year old rig with mileage that would have it nearly on its 3rd water pump and timing belt if it was a Honda.... :D

I think part of what contributes to the sludge issue is that Dodge recommended normal oil changes at 7500 miles. At least that's what my dakota's manual says with the 318. IMO 7.5K on dino in these engines is way too long. They do define a "severe" service at 3K but honestly, how many average people would rather do 3k over the recommended 7.5k? Not a lot.

Plenum is also a known issue, get a hughes kit and your g2g.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
I was a a SERVICE MANAGER in a pretty big Dodge store(35 techs)with a large truck volume for several years.I think I kinda know these vehicles a little bit.There is a reason the Magnum engines are on a known sludge list.I'd pull a valve cover and check that intake especially after having THREE owners.You can pull and reinstall a valve cover in 30 minutes.It has a reusable gasket.I would not hesitate to buy a used one if in good condition but just trying to answer the posters questions with facts that come from more then having owned a couple of them.

Where is this "known" sludge list?

35 techs and each worked/saw several vehicles a day.Some more then several.Add that up.100 plus a day was not uncommon on normal days.Have gone home with a 100 plus carry overs sitting in the lot waiting to be looked at.Worked a Pontiac dealer that had 50 plus techs.3 full time trans techs and 2 full time engine techs.Of course that was in a good economy.

Have a 2000 D with the 5.9

The 5.9 isnt a sludger. They do have issues with the belly pan gasket on the intake. Check down the TB for oily residue, if you see it then it needs attention. Get the Hughes plenum or an M1 intake.

These engine will go 200K easy if you keep oil in em:)

Go over to the Durango Owners club or dodge talk.

Now if the engine has been abused, then all bets are off.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Didn't those durangos have front end issues?

I don't remember the years it involved, but there was a recall because the ball joints could corrode, come apart and potentially cause an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back