Loud whine noise after timing belt/tensioner chang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my timing belt, idler and tensioner changed and now there's a loud whine. The Whine is coming from inside the timing belt cover. I'm very afraid that my belt could snap or something. He opens tomorrow at 12:30 pm and I have to drive all morning... very scared. What could be the problem?

At idling.. the noise is barely noticeable but at over 2,000 rpm.. she screams very loud.

Last edited:
Sounds like the belt was overtensioned, I would not drive it as is. Make sure a retension is documented in case related problems crop up down the road.

Last edited:
+1 T-belts only sing when over tensioned.
Have them retension it and document the problem incase anything happens in the future. I'd take a small video recording the noise, and the mileage on the vehicle as a record.

Maybe the belt needs to to break in.

Our old Honda Civic also made a noise when the T-belt was replaced by the Honda dealer then it disappeared one week later.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinC25

+1 T-belts only sing when over tensioned.
Have them retension it and document the problem incase anything happens in the future. I'd take a small video recording the noise, and the mileage on the vehicle as a record.

+2. Could also be the water pump if the timing belt drives the pump.

If your timing belt drives the water pump then it may be the WP. The water pump should always be changed if that is the case when the TB is replaced.

I had an SHO make a loud whining noise after I installed the belt wrong. Took it apart, tensioned it correctly and the noise was gone!

Thanks guys, I drove it for 60 miles and the noise got louder, I'm now borrowing a friend's car. THe water pump was also replaced but it is connected to the power steering.

You were smart to get the pulleys changed with the belt!

Did that noise occur right away? Did it take a few miles to start happening?
Probably a tight T-Belt belt, but it could be oil or coolant on the accessory belt that is causing it to slip.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You were smart to get the pulleys changed with the belt!

Did that noise occur right away? Did it take a few miles to start happening?
Probably a tight T-Belt belt, but it could be oil or coolant on the accessory belt that is causing it to slip.

MechTech2,

The noise happened right away. The Mechanic told me that as I drive more often, the noise will lessen. Well, the noise got louder and I am very scared. I have another appointment on Monday for him to correct the problem. The highways that I drive on don't have shoulders so it would be very dangerous if my car were to stall one day.

I always got a slight whine after changing my timing belt in my Mazda. It always whined a little at low RPM, but nothing I thought was dangerous.

I concur with all the others here saying it is too tight. I was always warned to be careful not to over-tighten. There is a sweet spot to them.

Many tighten the cam belt too tight, hoping to make it right in the future.
They don't stretch. They DO seat in a bit, but they don't actually stretch. You could hang your car from a modern cam belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back