Rotella and Goldwing -- Series of UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another in the series of UOAs for Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 in my 2007 GL1800 Honda Goldwing. The objective is to hold the oil brand / weight / type a constant variable. Three UOAs here, totaling 9K miles.

Earlier UOAs were not necessarily with Rotella CJ-4. Some oil changes had no UOA performed.

The 0.5 fuel is probably because I didn't warm the bike up much before taking the sample. Some, but not a lot.

For my Goldwing for the OCIs I do it appears Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 is perfectly acceptable in every way.

December2009Blackstone.jpg

I realize the moderators prefer numbers in-line. But the moderators banned me for a period because of a joking comment during one of the silly H-D arguments on the Motorcycle forum. So now I do what's easier for me, not them.

don,

your results show you are not drinking your koolaid.
you are NOT allowed to have non-motorcycle oil in a motorcycle.
and it is strictly FORBIDDEN to have non-motorcycle oil perform better.
you seem to continue to let this happen.
the lashings will continue until you conform.

my condolences to your pants that has to carry around an extra thick wallet because you use a cheaper oil that works fantastic.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
don,

your results show you are not drinking your koolaid.
you are NOT allowed to have non-motorcycle oil in a motorcycle.
and it is strictly FORBIDDEN to have non-motorcycle oil perform better.
you seem to continue to let this happen.
the lashings will continue until you conform.

my condolences to your pants that has to carry around an extra thick wallet because you use a cheaper oil that works fantastic.

thumbsup2.gif

That engine should seize at any moment! Lol.

I am tired of Don and Sunruh using their collective leverage of intelligence and evidence to convince everyone that dino HDEOs are viable, productive, competitive lubes.

When will you both learn that only mega-expensive PAO M/C-only oils will get your rig past 1k miles. Why, if you listen closely, I'm sure you'll hear the crank bearings galling, pistons scuffing, lifters seizing, and the cams rusting.
smirk2.gif

Just look at those numbers. Low wear metals, nice vis numbers, good low insolubles with a consistent statistical approach.
thumbsup2.gif

Your memberships in the Motorcycle Lubricant Lovers Associsation Against Common Sense and Intellect are hereby revoked. You two sicken me!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Really. its those last two tests that got well past the breakin. It all looks decent. But this is a gold wing , you should see those numbers at 8,000 mile.

Honda Had been recommneding a Moly oil in the Goldwing, Have they changed that?

Wonder if that would extend your intervals without increasing your wear metals.

I think running the oil you are, I'd be changing the same interval.

I've seen a few Goldwings with higher intervals and low counts.

Yeah, I could extend the interval. In fact I thought about going to 4K this time just as a change. But my riding was way down this summer and it took almost 7 months to go 3K, so I decided to just swap it out and test.

Plus, there are times a man simply must change out the oil. :)

In the owners manual for my wing Honda recommends to use oil without moly. I have used oil with small amounts of moly without problems. What is impressive is how well the Rotella has held up. High priced oil is a waste of money as long as you change it regurley. I like Rotella and $1.99 a quart Valvoline motorcycle oil from AutoZone.

So - does this dispell the concern that the CJ-4 stuff isn't as good as the CI-4 stuff? Well, at least in the Gold Wing application.

You know that if Shell put a picture of a Gold Wing on the bottle.....

hahahhahahahahahahaha...... !

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
You two sicken me!
grin2.gif

i get that a lot.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
So - does this dispell the concern that the CJ-4 stuff isn't as good as the CI-4 stuff?

for this gold wing yes, for all bikes.......i dont agree.

Look, we have the perfect oil in Rotella 15W-40.

I've proven it works exceedingly well in the Honda Goldwing.

Therefore, everyone should own a Honda Goldwing.

Seems perfectly logical to me.

33.gif

Here's a question...

I have run the synthetic Rotella in my bike in the past and I like it; it seemed to perform well. But shearing was an issue that I worried about and everyone told me to just stick with the dino version to fix the potential problem.

Then the new T6 formula comes out and it is supposed to be more shear stable. But in a previous thread here on BITOG, a member emailed Shell and they told him T6 was the same as the old CJ-4 oil but with a different label. So if this is true, is it safe to say the T6 will not be anymore shear stable? Is that just marketing lies?

Shear stable in what?

In a Gold Wing or in one of Sunruh's track bikes?

Or something in between?

A 750 Honda v-twin, right? Is that the bike you're talking about?

This much is true - even if it shears to a 30 wt in a Gold Wing then there are no worries, as Honda spec's a 10w-30 in the newer Gold Wings.

I don't know what your 750 is supposed to use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I have run the synthetic Rotella in my bike in the past and I like it; it seemed to perform well.

I think I'm safe in saying that if the Rotella synthetic from the past performed well, the conventional 15W-40 will perform at least as well in terms of shearing.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Then the new T6 formula comes out and it is supposed to be more shear stable. But in a previous thread here on BITOG, a member emailed Shell and they told him T6 was the same as the old CJ-4 oil but with a different label. So if this is true, is it safe to say the T6 will not be anymore shear stable?

If we take on face value the e-mail claim that the new T6 is the same as the old synthetic, then yes ... comparable performance.

May I ask why you feel the synthetic is a better oil for your bike?

I'm not convinced synthetic oils provide much for most motorcycle users. Cold flow properties I'll give you ... but then I'd have to ask why in the world you're riding below 15 degrees F, which is the safe rating for the conventional.

High heat protection? Maybe ... but only in the most extreme conditions.

Extended change intervals? Maybe ... but only if you're actually delaying your change intervals.

Why don't you pop a gallon of the new T6 into your bike, run it 3K and UOA it? My guess is it'll shear no worse or better than before.

And nothing ... nothing... can withstand the shear death-monsters that sunruh runs. The man is a sadist, pure and simple. Oils weep when he approaches.

Heck, I weep for the oils. I do. I really do.

He's a bad, bad man that sunruh ... really, he is!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back