A "general" Synthetic oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently told that if you ever start using synthetic oil in your engine you have to continue using synthetic oil for the life of the engine. I had never heard this before and did a search on the forums here to see if this topic had been covered but did not find anything. Anyone have any info about this?

If it is true, can anyone explain to me why you should not switch back and forth?

Thanks in advance...

Not true in the least. I`ve switched back and fourth more times than I can remember.........Valvoline dino,Mobil 1,Pennzoil dino,Royal Purple,Valvoline or Pennzoil again,Mobil 1 again. After this run of Pennzoil dino,I`ll be pouring in the Mobil 1 15W50 I got with the $10 rebate.

Nope,it won`t hurt a thing.

Last edited:
Absolutely not true at all! You can safely switch back and forth from any dino oil to any synthetic oil and vice versa, as long as it meets the viscosity and additive grade requirements listed in your vehicle's owner manual. I generally almost always use synthetic but once in a while I've thrown in a change of dino oil, to no ill effect whatsoever.

Now, in most cases (and in every vehicle I've owned so far that has used synthetic), you should not go from synthetic back to dino if you want the best gas mileage. But there will be no short term ill effect by doing so as far as the health of your engine is concerned, as long as you follow an appropriate OCI for the oil you are using.

Originally Posted By: raffy
Absolutely not true at all! You can safely switch back and forth from any dino oil to any synthetic oil and vice versa, as long as it meets the viscosity and additive grade requirements listed in your vehicle's owner manual. I generally almost always use synthetic but once in a while I've thrown in a change of dino oil, to no ill effect whatsoever.

Now, in most cases (and in every vehicle I've owned so far that has used synthetic), you should not go from synthetic back to dino if you want the best gas mileage. But there will be no short term ill effect by doing so as far as the health of your engine is concerned, as long as you follow an appropriate OCI for the oil you are using.

I am guessing that there is also no long term ill affect?

And when I see the term "dino oil", does that mean the typical petroleum oil? Sorry, I am not that used to the oil terms. lol

Yes, "dino oil" is short for "dinosaur oil", a loosely used term for oil that comes from the ground and the dinosaur age.

Superior_power,
The only long term effect would be that your engine will most likely have less wear using synthetic than it would using dino (sorry, petroleum!) oil. In other words, other things being equal (vehicle maintenance, etc.), most engines will last a bit longer using synthetic than using dino. Would that make a lot of difference for the typical car owner who drives 12000 or so miles per year? Probably not. But if you drive a lot and put a lot of miles on a vehicle, synthetic can make a difference in vehicle longevity.

I personally don't put a lot of miles per year on a vehicle. But I use synthetic because the increase in gas mileage and resulting $$ savings more than offsets the increased price of the oil. I also like the increased peace of mind that I have given the engine some better protection. That's for me, your mileage may vary!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
How would you describe "blends" ??? Schizo Oil

We prefer the term "identity impaired" oil

I think you're right reef. What with some III /III+ "legally" joining PAO's and G-V as synthetic, just what in the world separates a synthetic blend from some so-called synthetics?

Synthethis just makes the "ideal" oil more easily.

If you had an army full of oddball draftees, then you replaced that army with a bunch of 5'11" musclebound hunks, they'd do the same job. Back and forth even will still work.

So picture a bunch of uniform molecules within the meat & potatoes range of the old stuff and you have your syn oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back