Ok to let kero heater burn out on it's own?

I don't want to destroy the wick or cause any problems, but I also just want to let it burn out in the basement overnight.

Kero noob.

Careful, you might get additional carbon monoxide fumes from doing this best to take it outside. I may also create crusty residue on the wick as well. My folks used to use the kero sun brand and they were good but you always need adequate ventilation !

Watch the carbon monoxide about 20 years ago i knew a couple that went camping in a tent and both died from carbon monoxide poisoning they were 18

I remember reading a Kerosun manual that stated if it had a ceramic fiber wick, to let it burn completely out prior to cleaning the wick. Also recommended to let it burn outside due to kerosene odor as the wick dried out. It didn't address the CO issue, but all kerosene heater will have that risk.

Firstly, make sure you have a good CO Detector and TEST IT.

I've burnt to dry unintentionally before, but it should be avoided, as you'll need to let the wick soak-up for several hours before re-lighting. (I've always just let the unit sit overnight with fuel)

I'm not a kero-expert -- I just used them round-the-clock during the last big ice-storm here -- but I don't think burning to dry does your wick any favors.

Last edited:
It's in the basement below us. Pretty big space, 25x50x8 and that's just the basement. Ventilation is adequate, I assume. It's a hand-me-down unit, the 1st time I've used it or any kero heater.

I have some questions about the wick itself. Didn't know you had to clean it. I was going to trim it, but don't know how to get the wick to deploy any further, about a foot remains inside the fuel tank.

I think I have the flame trim ok, just enough to lap the edge of the burner top. I really want to know if I can let it burn out. I'm pretty sure it's safe, but I don't want to fry the wick.

Any info is useful.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
it doesnt hurt the wick any but it sure soots up the room its in

Exactly!!!!!

I remember that all you should have to do is simply turn the knob that brings the wick up further at least on the kero sun models that was all you had to do. A freshly trimmed wick will burn more efficiently and evenly..I do know that if the wick is old it may be swollen and not move freely when turning the knob....

I remember we were some of the first folks (early 80s) to adopt the kero sun heaters in the USA. ( i know they are outrageously popular in Japan and other parts of Asia.

The only annoyance was finding K1 back then at gas stations....It is really hard to find K1 anymore around here.

Last edited:
Sounds like you already have the heater but a propane unit would be much much better. Kerosene is quite expensive these days, and burning it in the house just seems wrong to me. Propane fuel is much cheaper unless you can find an old farm store with a kero pump at a reasonable price.

Whatever you do, make SURE you have a CO detector! Or two, or three....no excuses!

First time poster to this forum, but an "old hand" with kero heaters. I've got two of the smaller 10,000 BTU cabinet style units that I have used for years for aux. heating in our drafty pier and beam home.
Burning the wick dry will NOT hurt it. As a matter of fact, burning it dry (after crushing the buildup of tar in the wick) is how you "clean" the wick.
EVERYTHING you need to know regarding Kero heaters, wicks, fuel storage etc. can be found at this link. The guy who runs the site is an "end times" enthusiast, but there is a lot of good info here.
http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene.html
http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene_appliance_wicks.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matt_K
First time poster to this forum, but an "old hand" with kero heaters. I've got two of the smaller 10,000 BTU cabinet style units that I have used for years for aux. heating in our drafty pier and beam home.
Burning the wick dry will NOT hurt it. As a matter of fact, burning it dry (after crushing the buildup of tar in the wick) is how you "clean" the wick.
EVERYTHING you need to know regarding Kero heaters, wicks, fuel storage etc. can be found at this link. The guy who runs the site is an "end times" enthusiast, but there is a lot of good info here.
http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene.html
http://www.endtimesreport.com/kerosene_appliance_wicks.html

Absoltuelly right. I've been using Aladdin kero space heaters for 28 years now for spot heat. Burning the wick dry does NOT soot up the area at all. These space heaters do a terrific job, to bad they are no longer available like they were. But the do-gooders got everyone scared of them.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Sounds like you already have the heater but a propane unit would be much much better. Kerosene is quite expensive these days, and burning it in the house just seems wrong to me. Propane fuel is much cheaper unless you can find an old farm store with a kero pump at a reasonable price.

Whatever you do, make SURE you have a CO detector! Or two, or three....no excuses!

Kero is high, I just paid $3.99 a gal. But 4 gals of kero will last twice as long as one 20 # cyl of propane which cost $17.00.

Burning kerosene inside a house?

Beyond the smell, I can only imagine that we'll be reading about the CO2 results soon.

As I stated I've been using kero space heaters for 28 years. If the wick is installed correctly, kept clean and trimmed, and set at the correct height, and K-1 kero is used there's no oder except at start up and shut down. And In the last 20 years of using the heater with electronic co2 detecters in the same room I've yet to have one go off, yes the batteries are changed/checked monthly.

BTW last seasons heating bill (Oct thru April) was less than $600. No, I do not live in a camper.

Last edited:
Ok, it did not run out! Smell was not great, but worth it in this +4f cold snap. Kero is $3 even here.

i dont know about ventalation being so good..how good can it be, if its cold enough to use the heater its too cold to open the windows... An electric heater plugged into a good 110v 20A socket would be a better choice in most cases..
Those heaters are against the law in some states
Also you can't smell carbon monoxide!

crazyoildude) Those heaters are against the law in some states Also you can't smell carbon monoxide! [/quote said:
The heaters are against the law in some states, just like lead wheel weights are so dangerous that California banned them!

You're right you can't smell carbon monoxide but my co2 detectors can pick up the gas if it is present, which it isn't.

But then 28 years of experience means nothing!

I actually shut it down. The fumes were getting to me. Qweasy, only a headache would have made it worse. I felt better immediately after shutting down and venting everything. I'll use it again if I need it, but it was not pleasant his time around. I'll get a CO meter too.

Back