brand new Ford - Motorcraft or Mobil1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought an '09 Ranger, 4.0 SOHC V-6.

It's got around 600 miles on it now, and I'm having the factory fill changed this afternoon at the dealership. (While many people have told me this is probably unnecessary, I've confirmed with two Ford service advisors and a certified Ford tech that it won't be harmful, anyway...)

At any rate, being that this is the first brand-new engine I've ever owned, and I'm planning on running it at least 200k miles, I need to figure out what oil to use.

Ford spec's Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend for this truck in the owner's manual. Mobil 1 synthetic, with a 5k OCI, has served me very well in my other Ranger ('97, 2.3 OHC 4-cyl)- it's got about 265k miles, and still runs great with absolutely zero engine repairs. (I got that truck with 200k, and went along with the old adage that "the best oil for an engine with 200k miles is the one that got it there" and it sure seemed to work...)

So I'm more or less down to those two oils (both in the spec'd viscosity, and I will be using Motorcraft filters). Thoughts? If I use the Mobil 1, should I wait until the engine is "broken in" (and if so, how long should I wait?) before I switch to the full synthetic? (I kind of think that's out-of-date advice...but I'm not sure.)

I live in Vermont and don't have a garage, so the vehicle will be started at temps as low as -15 at least a few times each winter. Commute 10 miles to work each day, and rarely make trips shorter than that. Most driving is rural state highways, but some interstate.

Also- I'm sure it's covered here, but I couldn't find it: why does Ford spec 5w-30 for the 4.0 SOHC, while spec'ing 5w-20 for most (or all) their other engines?

the 4.0 SOHC is an old design motor that was never certified from ford to use 5w20. i have not heard an exact reason but claims i have heard are due to the stupid timing chain design and also lifters collapsing. the only other application for the lifters on that motor are the exhaust side on a Ford GT and that cant use 5220 either.

Either one will work perfectly well but the MC will do it for half the cost. I recently got a new F150 and I'm going with MC. M1 is $10.00 a quart where I live.

By the way
welcome2.gif

I really don't think it matters which you use to be honest. I used Mobil 1 in my 4.0 Ranger for a while and just recently switched to Pennzoil Platinum because it shows such great UOAs on here. Any of the three will serve you just fine. If you decide to use Mobil 1, I'd recommend the 0w-30 grade and not the 5w-30 just based on results in my 4.0 SOHC. It sheared down worse than the 0w-30 and in VT, a 0w-30 might benefit you anyway.

I personally would not break it in on synthetic, not necessarily because it will keep it from wearing in properly, but because of cost. I like to run a few short intervals to begin with so I think it is a waste of expensive synthetic.

I've driven two Ford Rangers (both 4 cyl.) for the past ten years and have found them to be exceptional little trucks.
In my opinion, after dumping the factory fill at 600, fill it with Motorcraft Blend or full dino oil. When you reach 1200 miles, change it out again and use any high quality full synthetic....staying with the 5w30 grade. I personally found the Mobil 1 to have a very slight valve train noise and so I would prefer to use either Motorcraft Full synthetic or Pennzoil Platinum. But hey, you've got another Ranger with over 200k miles....so just do the same thing. I would however take it out on the interstate once a week to give it a good 55mph plus run for fifteen to twenty minutes.

Last edited:
MC semi 5/30 is not readily available in 5 quart jugs and it's not of the same quality and base stocks as the 5/20 semi.

I would run Mobil 1 5/30 in it and leave it at that. Run an OCI at 7000 miles.

Last edited:
MC 5000 or GTX for a couple graduated OCI then onto AFE or M1 T&S 5w-30. My brother runs 20w-50 in his with 270K miles (in sunny california and 105+ temps)that seems extreme to me.

Motorcraft is a Fine product, cost less, shows great UOA, meets warranty requirements ECT. it will serve you well. You you decide on another line PP is awesome for a full syn and havs shown some of the best UOA on this forum.

I have 3 Explorers with the 4.0 in my work fleet as well as one I drive as a personal vehicle. I have run them on mostly name brand 5W-30 synthetics with some TropArtic blend and Havoline dino. A few runs have been 10W-30. They run well on all of them.

The only noticeable change was with GC and one OCI of Torco 10W-40. Vehicle felt sluggish.

John,

I would leave that Motorcraft oil in your nw truck until it's scheduled OCI. Your motor is still breaking in and I feel your move to Mobil 1 is way too premature at this time.

The Motorcraft is a synthetic blend as you stated and should easily get you to the OCI without wearing out the additve package. I've heard on this forum that this oil is a very good/excellent quality oil and if your on a budget I'd stay with it.

I'm like you as I use M1 as a standard in my truck and car BUT only after the first scheduled oil change and OR close to the warranty coming to nd end.

Does your dealership endorse you making the swap so early??? If they do I'd have them handle it until the warranty runs out.

Durango

Wow- lot of replies in a short time! Thanks!

I had the dealership change the oil this afternoon (580 miles on odometer). Motorcraft 5w-30. (They actually filled it with 5w-20, but willingly drained and refilled it with 5w-30 when I mentioned it.) I plan on one more "early" oil change to ensure all the manufacturing and break-in debris is gone from the engine, then go up to whatever OCI I decide to start with for this engine...probably 5k with the Motorcraft.

Since I probably won't be changing my own oil for a while yet (it's really cold here, right now...and I think I'll be working long hours this summer), having the dealership do the Motorcraft is probably the easiest and most cost-effective option.

Once I get a few miles on it (10k, say) I'll do a UOA and if I like what I see I'll stay with the Motorcraft, and if I don't I'll go back to Mobil 1.

90% of your debris went down the drain today at your first OCI. Run the new oil to 5000 and then go with the Mobil1 5w30. If you go 5000 like you have been you will never have any issues that would be oil related. Lots of people on here will tell you to go longer but I run all of my engines on 5000 OCI's now. Get a cheap log book for DIY maintenance so you are covered for warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back