air bubbles on dipstick oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently changed my oil to amsoil 5w-30 sl rated 25k oil which is around 2-3 years old. I also added a quart of redline 5w-30 and 5 oz of LC. Its a acura 2003 3.5 RL engine my question is when I check my dispstick for oil I see small air bubbles on it and I've never seen it before when I run mobil/redline is this normal or am I just going crazy for no reason?

Is it "bubbles" or "Foaming"? Foaming is from over-filling, but i'm not sure what bubbles would be from, other than perhaps something in your brew is not agreeing with something else.

It's completely personal pref, but i'm not a big fan of home-brews or additives.

More like small bubbles that are far apart from each other. Around 5-7 total bubbles on the dipstick,sat around for 10 mins like the manual states to do (hot engine). Maybe this amsoil oil does this, its not overfilled.

Thats exactly how I would describe how my 5.0 reacted with the M-1. It has done this since new. I now have 93k miles on it and still going strong.

I dont think there is any problem.

How long has the the oil set before your checking?
dunno.gif

Listen for upperend valve train noise while cruising at highway speeds. If you don't hear any then all is most likely OK.

The car is pretty smooth,makes no unusual noises
highway or city use. I had the last oil for 8 months at 4100 miles mobil 5w-30 tri-syn quart of redline 5w-30 and a pure1 filter total 5 oz of lc and 2-3 ozs every 1000 miles. I did auto-rx it at 32k mile and lc ever since. Has no varnish or sludge whatsoever. sj/cf rated
How long do you think I should run this brew? I am not sure how this amsoil oil will hold up
85 % city stop and go get 14-17 mpg
thanks for all your input.

quote:

I see small air bubbles on it and I've never seen it before when I run mobil/redline is this normal or am I just going crazy for no reason?

My guess is it's the LC producing the bubbles. I don't think it is harmful.

has nothing in it at all no specs of metal or anything out of the unusual, I wiped it on a white paper so if any particles were present I'd be able to see it.

Bubbles are normal.
Oil goes through he!l and back in the engine.
Bubbles float to the top and is a good thing.
So your dipstick will have a few. Not an issue.

Just make sure that your oil level is correct. The big issue is when the bubbles don't float up quick enough and get pumped through the engine. Air isn't a good engine lubricant. Extremely overfilled can cause excessive air entrapment, and incorrect viscosity and excessive low oil level can do the same.

Check your oil after an overnite sit. Your mix of Redline, Mobil and Lube Control sounds like additive-clashing when the engine is hot. That clashing may not be harmful ... just produces bubbles like treated water sometimes does in buckets or sinks -- until it settles down undisturbed after a certain period of time.

Are bubbles on the dipstick a problem after checking the oil immediately after you turn the engine off?

Originally Posted By: buster
Are bubbles on the dipstick a problem after checking the oil immediately after you turn the engine off?

Yes, that means you've overfilled the crankcase to the point where the crank is touching the oil. Definitely need to drain some out before something gets damaged.

Are you seeing bubbles on yours buster?

Originally Posted By: linkman
I just recently changed my oil to amsoil 5w-30 sl rated 25k oil which is around 2-3 years old. I also added a quart of redline 5w-30 and 5 oz of LC. Its a acura 2003 3.5 RL engine my question is when I check my dispstick for oil I see small air bubbles on it and I've never seen it before when I run mobil/redline is this normal or am I just going crazy for no reason?

I don't think it's agood idea to home brew your oil. Just use one good oil of your choice.

I never noticed air bubbles no matter when I checked the oil. I'd double check the level, sounds like it could be overfilled.

I've only noticed bubbles right after I turn the car off and check the oil. When it's cold, no bubbles. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back