Needs Advice on Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very soon my 2001 Isuzu Trooper LS, 3.0-liters, 4x2, with a turbo-intercooled common-rail direct-injection diesel engine designated as 4JX1-TC, will be out of the 2-year warranty. I intend to replace the factory-fill engine oil, which is only API CD rated with one which meets both API CI-4 and JASO DH-1 specifications. My choice is only limited to either a 5W-30 or a 10W-30, as strictly required by Isuzu for this engine. The motor is estimated to log around 23,500 km. by the time the warranty lapses, and by then I shall be free to choose any engine oil in lieu of the factory fill.

Guys, what diesel engine oil would you recommend? Thanks for your advices.

ondoy......

4JX1-TC is used in the Holden Jackaroo in Oz. 7.5 litre sump and oil rec from Mobil is Delvac 1 5W40 or Mobil 4x4 10W40. You can't go wrong with D1 IMO. I worked in the Phillipines for a while (Puerto Princessa, Palawan) and know how hot it is. I wouldn't have 5/10W30 in it if it was mine.

ben walker:
quote:

What is available?

There is only one BESCO 10W-30 HDMO available in the market; the rest are 15W-40 dinos and 5W-40 Delvac 1 synthetic. The problem with the BESCO brand is that it is only API CD rated; we know that API CD has long been obsolete, why does Isuzu insists on using this HDMO for the direct-injection 4JX1-TC engine which is turbo-intercooled, EGR-equipped, catalytic converter equipped, etc., etc.?

sprintman:
quote:

You can't go wrong with D1 IMO. I worked in the Phillipines for a while (Puerto Princessa, Palawan) and know how hot it is. I wouldn't have 5/10W30 in it if it was mine.

Good point, at my place the ambient temperature does not go below 20 degC even during the coldest months of the year. But, I would be hesitant to use the xW-40 oils because there are several (two?) stickers/decals/labels in the engine compartment WARNING the Trooper owner to use only "either a 5W-30 or a 10W-30" HDMO. The user manual also states "only a 5W-30 or a 10W-30 oil" should be used with the Trooper having the 4JX1-TC engine. The dealer's service engineer advised me that the limitation on the engine oil has something to do with the engine oil being used in the common-rail direct-injection system. Please refer to this web page. The simplified explanation is that this engine needs light oil so that during start-up, the oil will be able to reach the fuel injectors as fast as possible in order to initiate compression of the fuel for proper firing. In simple words, the engine should start within a few seconds not exceeding the normal of 6 seconds, otherwise a hard-starting condition could insue that will result in excessive engine wear during engine starts.

I am not sure if the service engineer is correct, but to be in the safe side it is always prudent to follow the manufacturer's recommendations as regards the specifications of the engine oil. Maybe I would consider an xW-40 oil if it were "SAE 0W-40"; I am sure the 40 degC cST viscosity for this oil would be within the range of that for the 10W-30 oil.

Thanks guys for your comments.

ondoy
'01 Trooper TDI

ondoy,

If you haven't done so already, you might try posting your question on an Isuzu-related discussion site. Those guys may have additional viewpoints and experiences for you. Try 4x4wire.com and itog.com. You'll need to navigate to the discussion areas and register.

Quote:
The simplified explanation is that this engine needs light oil so that during start-up, the oil will be able to reach the fuel injectors as fast as possible in order to initiate compression of the fuel for proper firing.

That doesn't sound like a common-rail diesel to me. Common rail fuel systems don't use oil in the injectors to help compress the fuel, or I've completely misunderstood something.

Caterpillar has a 10W-30, API CI-4, that is supposedly available worldwide. Would that work? Are you close to any of these dealers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: npauli
Quote:
The simplified explanation is that this engine needs light oil so that during start-up, the oil will be able to reach the fuel injectors as fast as possible in order to initiate compression of the fuel for proper firing.

That doesn't sound like a common-rail diesel to me. Common rail fuel systems don't use oil in the injectors to help compress the fuel, or I've completely misunderstood something.

Caterpillar has a 10W-30, API CI-4, that is supposedly available worldwide. Would that work? Are you close to any of these dealers?
Sounds like he has a HEUI system, like the old 6.0 powerstroke. HEUI engines definitely don't like an oil that's too thick for cold starts (makes the engine romp until warm), but I think I would at least try the 5w40 in the OP's given "cold" temperatures. When I had my 6.0, it would start easily on 5w40 well below 0 degrees F, while 10w30 synth would cause the romps at idle, and severe misfiring for the first mile or two, even with a few minutes of idling.

Shell Rimula Ultra 5W30 is very highly rated, I believe it is ACEA E4/E7, also API CI4. If you can get it.
It's being replaced by Rimula R6 ME.
Either one will be expensive.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back