VW PD TDI 1.9 - Schaeffer 9000 5w40, 16,511 km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. I mostly lurk and read here on BITOG, but I just got my UOA back for Schaeffer 9000 5w40 from my Golf TDI back and thought I'd crosspost it here from TDIClub (where I'm much more active).

Following up from my previous two UOAs on VW 507.00 LL3 5w30 oil, I decided to buck the book and go for what I think is an under-rated synthetic diesel oil, Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w40. I ordered a case of six 1-gallon bottles from 'salesrep'.

So, how did this unapproved, cheap oil made by hillbillies in Stank Louis hold up in the notorious cam grinding BEW?

Quite well.

78kUOA.png

In plain text, stuff that ain't a zero (emphasis mine):

Al 5
Cr 1
Fe 58
Cu 4
Pb 6
Mo 300
Ni 1
Mn 1
K 1
B 8
Si 6
Na 9
Ca 1302
Mg 830
P 1077
Zn 1264

SUS @ 210°F 74.3
cSt @ 100°C 14.04
Flashpoint °F 425
Fuel % Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 4.1

Actual distance on this sample is 16,511km [10,237 mi]. The last of the LL3 was drained at 108,489km [67,421 mi] and the S9000 5w40 was poured in and a new Mann oil filter installed. It was allowed to circulate for 5 minutes, then drained to rid the engine of the dregs of 507.00 (lest everyone think I'm made of money, this 'flush' oil was used in the NB, which also needed an oil change at that time due to the valve cover being off for the IP replacement). Fresh oil was poured it and kept as near the top bend in the dipstick as possible. This sample was taken via sampling pump at 125,000 km [77,671 mi]. The oil was not changed.

Driving conditions have not been fantastic, if I'm honest. Lots of cold starts, including 6 weeks lately without operating glowplugs (now fixed). Aside from two longish road trips (2000+ km) near the start and end of this OSI, most of my driving is 15km to work and back with stops on the way home for errands. RC1 was installed in November 2009.

My thoughts? HOLY [censored] LOOK AT THE MOLYBDENUM! AND ZINC/PHOSPHOROUS! And this is after 16k km on the oil! I bought 4 bottles of ZDDPlus and was considering some of the Lubro-Moly MoS2 additive but I'm not sure I need it at all. TBN is still going strong at 4.1. I'm probably going to run this oil out to 20k km before changing it. Hopefully Dieselgeek will have bypass kits in stock for BEWs by then (Jim, hint hint ).

In short, I'm very happy with how this oil has performed in my Golf. This was by far my worst driving conditions but my best UOA.

Regards
scurvy

You know I give Schaffers crank case oils a hard time with reguard to their use in Toyota's. Keep in mind that if not on an oil related web site where cost,UOA results and availability all factor in I do like their products and none of them are dreadful or will fail to protect quite well. THeir 5W40 was the first oil they made I was really interested in. Initialy the cost was decent and I considered ordering it by the case.

Baring cost compaed to other 5W40's designed for diesels available at Walmert like RTS 5W40 I doubt one could choose a better oil for the VW TDI then this Schaffer's product. I might consider LC products to keep the TDI's intake clean. THe cold pump and flow numbers on this product combined with it's HTHS and nice TBN retension make it a great choice I think.

It is under rated and prior to the rather large price hike it was a good choice. What did it run you with shipping to get 6 gallons shipped to your house?

What is the history on this engine ie maint., oil type and OCI in the past etc????? Ever clean the intake and emissions componets on it?THey can get really nasty especialy when ran on dino or PCMO etc....

If this was Mobil 1, everyone would be screaming about the iron. It does seem high and even lead seems slightly elevated. I would be hesitant to add 2000 miles to the oil if it were my engine.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
If this was Mobil 1, everyone would be screaming about the iron. It does seem high and even lead seems slightly elevated. I would be hesitant to add 2000 miles to the oil if it were my engine.

Agree. Nothing stellar here. Oil did just OK. I mean this is a fine UOA, but seems the guys at TDI have the correct attitude. While Mo ppm is OK, Zn and P are pretty standard for a CJ-4 oil.

This engine typically is an Fe spitter, and this UOA is right in the middle of that pack.

Pablo, these unit-injector type TDIs (2004 to 2006) generally generate even more wear metals than the previous rotary-type (1997 to 2003) injectors where 40 ppm Fe was "normal".

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I am curious what the previous oils were also.
And so you shall be answered.

Here's my oil change history:
0 - 5k: Factory fill (Fuchs über sekrit special oil)
5 - 20k: Castrol TXT 5W40 (VW 505.01 certified)
20 - 30k: Elf Evolution CRV 0W30 (VW 506.01 certified)
30 - 40k: Quaker State Q Diesel Plus 5W40 (VW 505.01 certified)
40 - 67,421 mi: VW Longlife III 5W30 (VW 507.00 certified)
67,421 - current: Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w40 (CJ-4)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
This engine typically is an Fe spitter, and this UOA is right in the middle of that pack.
Agreed, this engine is notorious for loads of iron and wearing cams. You'll notice my Fe is inline with all the other 1.9 TDI universal averages, which IIRC are based on an 8200 mile run. So right about average for a TDI, which is pretty good for a PD (BEW engine code). Wear rate is under 6 ppm/kilomile, which I'm happy with.

Considering my earlier UOA (especially at 50k miles) and many other UOAs from the same generation TDI, I'm happy with how this oil is performing in my engine.

Last edited:
I like it!
Chicagoland weather, glow plug issues, city driving... a good testament to Schaeffers 9000.
Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Chicagoland weather, glow plug issues, city driving... a good testament to Schaeffers 9000.
Thanks for the post.
Further UOAs should support my theory that this is one of the better oils for 'difficult' diesel engines such as the PD TDI engine.

I plan on ordering another case after this oil change.

scurvy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back