MMO question

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMO states 4oz per every 10 gallons. I'm wondering if that formula is for how much gas your tank holds or how much gas you put in it? For example, 2 days ago I put some MMO in my Grand Caravan. My tank holds 20 gallons and so I put in 8 oz even though my tank was at about a quarter and so I only put in about 14 gallons. It did seem smoother but when I went on the highway I noticed an immediate drop in my mileage (usually it'll reach 23 or 24 mpg but it was at 21). Is this normal? Did I put in too much?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
First treatment should be for what the tank holds. All other treatments should be for the amount of gas you put in.

+1, and an over dose WILL reduce mpgs. I've found smaller displacement engines can use a little less than the suggested amount. Experiment YMMV.

I haven't seen any MPG loss with the 4oz per 10 gal. I started using MMO in gas in the 80s. Seems to work well. Never had a need to put in oil.

Arco, you stated that the 4oz to 10 gallons formula should be adjusted down for fuel injected engines. Have you learned this from experience? I guess I'll experiment not on the next fill-up but the one aftrewards. I'll probably just put in 4 oz with the typical 14 gallon fill-up.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/#fuel
Have fun reading the FAQs and links! It's worth your time.

4 ounces/10 gallons fuel is normal.
If you have 8 ounces of MMO added to your full 20 gallon tank, you are perfect. More should not hurt anything, but is simply a waste of MMO, with rapidly diminishing returns. MOre is not better.
If you only had, 14 gallons in the tank, the 8 ounces is a bit strong, but no big deal.

If you lost 2-3 MPG, look elsewhere for reasons why. It's just not normal, and there is no reason for it from using MMO.
That is a huge drop. Maybe how you filled it, cold weather, idling, bad gas, etc., are causes.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/#fuel
Have fun reading the FAQs and links! It's worth your time.

4 ounces/10 gallons fuel is normal.
If you have 8 ounces of MMO added to your full 20 gallon tank, you are perfect. More should not hurt anything, but is simply a waste of MMO, with rapidly diminishing returns. MOre is not better.
If you only had, 14 gallons in the tank, the 8 ounces is a bit strong, but no big deal.

If you lost 2-3 MPG, look elsewhere for reasons why. It's just not normal, and there is no reason for it from using MMO.
That is a huge drop. Maybe how you filled it, cold weather, idling, bad gas, etc., are causes.

+1 even when I added a full qt to the Aerostar my mpgs didn't drop that much. I'd look elsewhere.

Well, I live in Oklahoma and it certainly has been cold here for weeks. Does cold weather reduce fuel mileage (I would have guessed that it would raise it because of the extra oxygen)?

I filled up at Quiktrip which is very reputable. Please understand that I have not yet filled up again and calculated my mileage that way. I was merely going by the mileage computer in the van. Possibly the sensor was affected by MMO.

Cars run richer longer in cold weather using up more gas. People tend to let them idle and warm up longer too. But even if you start it, pop it in drive, and go you'll use more gas when it is colder. Also winter blended gas hits the pumps reducing mpgs as well. You will get less mpgs during winter time.

When you fill up, multiply your gallons by .4 and it will tell you how many ounces to add.

You are better off adding it before you pump, which makes it somewhat more difficult. You're just going to have to learn how to accurately judge how much fuel you'll be adding.

(The author of this post does not condone the use of MMO, the information given is mathematical only, and is not an endorsement of a product.)

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

(The author of this post does not condone the use of MMO, the information given is mathematical only, and is not an endorsement of a product.)

LOL! I enjoyed that. Strong!
cheers3.gif

You do like Moly in oil though! Me too!

Today I added about 6-7 Oz to wife's Elantra's 14 Gal. tank.
(measured by the bottle marks - could see them well in the sun).

I still have about 8-10 Oz. I guess I will add that to the Tbird (21 Gal. tank).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back