Snow blower 50:1 Leaf Blower 40:1 Trimmer 50:1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

Well I have 3 seperate 2cycle engines 2 that take 50:1 and one that gets 40:1 which is a real pain. I wish I would have looked close when I bought them. Now I have to keep 2 seperate gas cans. Anybody have any ideas? If I run the snow blower and trimmer on 40:1 will it harm the engine?

Last edited:
Very common misconception. Engines do not have a ratio. It's the oil that has a ratio.

Ergo, you do not have to mix different ratios for different engines.

Personally, I would use Stihl oil and mix it 50;1, the ratio that it's designed for, and use it in all your equipment. I have literally hundreds, if not thousands, of customers doing just that, with great results.

I agree with both answers. I have two chain saws and a lawn mower that all specify three different oil ratios (16:1, 32:1, and 40:1). I'm not going to keep three different mixes on my shelf. I use 32:1 for all of them. (Maybe I should bump it up to 40:1, or even 50:1).

A couple of years ago based on a suggestion here I bought a bottle of Mobil 1 Motorcycle 2-cycle oil and have been mixing it 32:1 for both my week wacker and my Toro snow blower. The snow blower spec.'s 50:1 but it runs great on the 32:1 mix which is what the Ryobi spec.'s.

For your applications I would do one of two things, flip a coin and either use 50:1 in everything or 40:1 in everything. I personally use 40:1 in all of my 2-cycle applications.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
For your applications I would do one of two things, flip a coin and either use 50:1 in everything or 40:1 in everything. I personally use 40:1 in all of my 2-cycle applications.

Or 45:1 in everything

Seriously; that leaf blower should be fine at 50:1. Not much load on those like a chain saw would have

We're not talking about that much difference in oil, or fuel consumption. Just run the mixture a little richer, it won't hurt anything. Just run everything at 40:1, or even 32:1 and you will be fine. It's better to run with too much oil, (In a 2 stroke) then not enough.
My dad had a string trimmer that called for 32:1, and his chainsaw, and his snowblower called for 50:1. He just runs everything at 32:1 and hasen't had any problems at all.
He's been doing this for 10 years.

Last edited:
If you decide on using one container for both you will want to go with the lowest ratio. Which in your case will be 40:1...the difference between a 50:1 and a 40:1 mixture per gallon of gas amounts to .8 ounces more oil with the 40:1 mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back