Oil For 2010 Nissan Altima V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow, I will be picking up my mom's new car-- a 2010 Nissan Altima V6 with Tech Package.

So, what oil should I run in it?

The plan is to change the factory fill at 7500 miles and refill with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30. Then, subsequent oil changes will be 7500 miles or when the weather is good, whichever comes later.

Thoughts?

I see you went with the altima for her after all. Well, it wouldn't be my first choice, but I wish you and her the best of luck with it. Go maybe 3,000 on FF, then change out for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and run it for 7500-8k OCI.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 7500 miles OCI's, I would not waste money on M1 EP, I would use either PP or Synpower, they are more than adequate in that short OCI's.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I see you went with the altima for her after all. Well, it wouldn't be my first choice, but I wish you and her the best of luck with it. Go maybe 3,000 on FF, then change out for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and run it for 7500-8k OCI.

Ditto

All of the 5W-30 synthetics are good, but I do not agree that using Mobil 1 5W-30EP is a waste of money. It is a very good oil and it does not cost that much more than the others. Great product.

Congratulations on the new Nissan.

You won't be sorry with the Altima - I have the '08 2.5 SL and love it. Tell your Mom to go easy on the gas with that 3.5L V6. I get more power than I'll ever need out of the 2.5L 175hp 4 cyl.

I'd change out the FF at 3-4k miles, then any 5W-30 SM synthetic for 7.5k OCIs.

Tom NJ

What do you folks of Valvoline SynPower?

There's a rebate on it right now, which makes it tempting.

I'm using PP 5w30 & Napa gold filter right now in my 08 Altima 3.5 SE. Very quiet startup's, so my vote is PP.
BTW I brought this car last year, and had no problems with it. Very happy with purchase. Previous ownerships of the "Big 3" have left a bad taste in my mouth. Remember "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." They all had their chances with myself.

I'm going to go purchase oil tomorrow.

What should I get? Mobil 1 5w-30? Valvoline SynPower?

Originally Posted By: BIGJ552000
I'm using PP 5w30 & Napa gold filter right now in my 08 Altima 3.5 SE. Very quiet startup's, so my vote is PP.
BTW I brought this car last year, and had no problems with it. Very happy with purchase. Previous ownerships of the "Big 3" have left a bad taste in my mouth. Remember "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." They all had their chances with myself.

Be glad you're not in the same boat as lots of other Nissan owners.

They're no paragon of reliability. Very ordinary in terms of repairs, etc.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I'm going to go purchase oil tomorrow.

What should I get? Mobil 1 5w-30? Valvoline SynPower?

What a nerd! Your not going to change the oil untill the car reaches 7500 miles but your running out and buying oil already? Why don't you wait a while? Maybe one of the oil companies will have something great out by then and you can buy that when you need it vs tripping over oil for the next 6 months?

I wouldn't run the FF to 7500 miles. I know they say break-in is a thing of the past, but first 1-3 UOA's always show higher wear metals, so I'd want those out by about 3k. Just me.

If you are definetly doing 7500-miles OCI's, run whatever is cheapest. Rebate on Synpower? Go for it.

PP with Wix/NG or Purolator/P1, Bosch, with factory recomended OCI for warranty purposes. After warranty 5k oci.

I'd change it out to a dino/$ale SM/GF-4 5W-30 at 1000 miles or so, then to PP, SynPower, etc. (actually you can now get 5 quarts of QS Ultimate Durability Synthetic for $20 minus a $10 rebate at WallyWorld) for the factory recommended intervals while still in warranty...

Only oughta' last a couple/three hundred thousand miles with that kind of maintenance program.

Enjoy your parent's new car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back