Why do people hate lucas products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see too many vehicles in the sig line with over 300k miles on them. Most people don't keep their cars as long as they think they will. It's that overly optimistic view that leads some to add magic tonics to their vehicle in the hopes of auto immortality. The data on this site and others prove that modern engines well maintained usually last the life of the car. Any attempt to "make things even better" usually just results in a thinner wallet for the owner and sometimes detrimental effects to the engine.

Just like the Lucas thick oil demo at the parts counter, it is designed to dazzle the stupid by implying that your car needs much thicker oil than the manufacturers and oil companies provide.

I did a little experiment last year with my motorcycle where I removed the spark plug and noted the appearance of the piston. I next ran a tank of fuel mixed with Redline SL1, then a tank with Seafoam, then a tank with Lucas UCL which also claims to clean the combustion cylinder. Initially the piston crown had a satin black appearance. After the Redline the carbon was reduced with a few spots of metal reflecting light. Then after the Seafoam the piston improved further reducing carbon by approx 40%. Lastly, I added the Lucas UCL. Now my piston had a sooty black appearance uniformly covering the piston crown.

Even if Lucas does offer an un-needed increase in lubrication, it's negatives outweigh any perceived benefit in my opinion. It is like making your engine simulate being an oil burner. Lucas UCL is a petroleum distillate that has the consistency of motor oil so why would one assume it would burn cleanly without residue. Adding 2 cycle oil may offer some benefits, but shouldn't be needed by most people.

Last edited:
If their products are so bad how did they earn enough money to sponsor the Colts football stadium? Just a thought.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pondfishr
If their products are so bad how did they earn enough money to sponsor the Colts football stadium? Just a thought.....

I don't have an opinion about Lucas, but even Enron had naming rights to a stadium at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back